1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is more "racist": The Trump Organization or Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 18, 2016.

1. bongman

bongman Member

I am not sure we can easily conclude that. My question was very specific... of all those who graduated, how many have IT degrees. This means that they had the chance to pick which field they want to pursue so it is a matter of what interests them and not their background, upbringing, etc.

2. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I think the root cause behind the lack of Blacks, Hispanics and women in IT (and STEM in general) originates in grade school.

Supermac34's posts are right on the money.

Space Ghost likes this.
  3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I guess it's worth wondering why one cares about Silicon Valley's purported racism, other than some deluded fixation on their supposed liberalism.

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

IIRC, Austin is the only major Texas city to be losing its Black population. It's definitely weird.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Another bit of anecdotal evidence: when I was at a large O&G company, the engineering departments were dominated by men. To make up for it, the "business functions" such as HR, Finance, Accounting, Process design were very much women-heavy in management. Those positions were actively given to women hires and the company was very straight forward to applicants: "This Finance Director role is going to a woman unless we get 0 applicants...so you can apply if you are a man, but you probably won't get it". There was quite a bit of attrition from those groups by men that just couldn't move up to the higher management roles due to those rules.

While I don't agree with the methods, I can certainly see why these large companies do this. They know they just aren't going to get women or minorities in their technical functions...they know they'll be judged harshly...so they actively "affirmative action" people into non tech roles to balance the numbers.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

From my experience, no to the opportunity question and yes to the interest question. In fact, we need a lot more American to be interested in STEM. Not only is it hard to find qualified minority (women, black, hispanic) workers, it's hard to find qualified American workers in general.

Where there is still a problem is lack of diversity that could be racial in nature is in upper management... But that is also going away pretty quickly.

In general, the tech industry is a great example of non racial and forward thinking and how we play in a global market for workers. Trump idea of isolation could do much damages to this industry in the US.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For tech industry I've been in, diversity of the sexes and age is wanted. It's a feature if you will to yield diverse ideas... Something that is strongly value. Diversity of different race isn't mentioned much now a day because it's already quite diverse (as much as the worker pool allow).

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't think Silicon valley is totally to blame. When I was in engineering school at UT, we had 3 girls out of almost 200 students in my engineering physics class.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

With regards to economics, I believe in supply and demand. If SV is allowed to flood the job-market with H-1B's, students visas, and green cards then it will not lead only to further decrease in participation by Americans in the tech sector but will lead to further decrease in participation by non-white/asian males.

This is the same argument with illegal immigration. It increases the labor supply and helps to disperse the labor supply which is already there (citizen and legal immigrant).

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree completely. My undergrad was Petroleum Engineering, probably the least woman oriented of all the engineering disciplines. Girls got all the summer internships, even though they didn't meet the qualifications, much less be the higher skilled. So, they don't even have to have the skills, just apply, and have enough skills/experience to make the hiring plausible.

Not complaining, it was what it was. But reverse discrimination does indeed occur.

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Sorry, just took it for granted that everyone agreed that there aren't many women graduating with these degrees. In my graduating class of I think 120, there were like 3 women. You don't see many women, or blacks, in engineering colleges. Just attended a session of SASE (Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers) on a recruiting visit, and it was packed. The session right before that was general admittance, and it was primarily white males. I think I saw 1 or 2 women, and no blacks. I think representation in these groups is increasing, but it has a long ways to go.

Shame, too. Engineering and Science are great fields, leading to good jobs, and as indicated above, minorities would get snapped up in a job search. Women actually tend to be better acclimated to this work, and guys to speech and English, yet our societal norms are the reverse. As an engineer...that's inefficient. :)

An interesting subtopic....most women I do see in IT tend to be in sales. Are they there because they had a more sales oriented background, or because of societal norms, assuming they were better suited there? The representation of women in IT sales is MUCH MUCH higher than it is across the industry in general.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You also have massive agesim in SV. If you are over 30 good luck getting a job.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Agree. If you're picking Silicon Valley for Trump to compete against on diversity values, you've already lost. That's not the standard to hold Trump to. I guess OP assumes that because a lot of SV guys lean Democrat that liberals would feel some reciprocal allegiance and be complicit in or rationalize Silicon Valley's lack of diversity. No. Screw those guys.

14. Cohete Rojo

I'm sorry, do we need to put the data under oath?

No. Because data don't lie.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Your narrow and disingenuous narrative is very loosely connected to your clumsy data. Your tribe completely ****ed up the political process and now you're flailing and pretending to care about and identify racism in a way that most blacks, particularly any who do any kind of serious professional career search, would find childish.

16. Cohete Rojo

I've brought a fresh perspective to battle against the claim that Trump has ran a "racist" or "bigoted" campaign. Your assertion that black Americans do not care about discrimination and are content on a lonely island in a vast ocean of prosperity is duly noted. Nothing like "fixing" the education system by sweeping Americans (of any color) off to the side in favor of immigrant workers, amirite?

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think any of us actually know whether or not Trump is racist. We don't know his mind. We do know that he's said racist things, has prominent racists supporting him, and that he is grossly uninformed about the issues that face many minority groups today. He has shown an unwillingness to even make an attempt at informing himself about those issues. Whether that's because of his racism, or the fact that he just doesn't care, isn't really important, because he won't win over minority support in any significant numbers.

18. Cohete Rojo

Calling Trump a racist because a prominent racist supports him is no different than claiming he is a terrorist because ISIS quoted him (something Clinton has insinuates). Claiming he says racist things because he wants to enforce immigration laws is no different than saying he wants to end globalization because he wants to amend NAFTA.

I think it is somewhat astonishing that SF is seen as a liberal bastion but yet at the same time it's nearby most-prominent companies hire black persons at a 2% rate. I wonder how many actually work in a managerial or technical role. I also wonder how many are black Americans.

Obviously there is frustration toward police treatment of black Americans. All I am saying is that it is not that treatment that is barring or denying black Americans of opportunities like those that non-black Americans have. Instead, much like what Trump has stated, this treatment is the result of glass ceiling - a glass wall.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Trump people from Silicon Valley? Are they double-racists?

Noted D-bag Peter Thiel says hi.

20. Cohete Rojo

I don't know anything about Peter Thiel, but this was what I pulled from the Trump website. Also, I don't recall seeing any section on the website that looked remotely racist. The plan is probably a little to simple, but it is the rhetoric and feeling that counts, for most people.