1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is better player in your opinion: Landry or Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston22, Feb 18, 2010.

?

Who is better fit for Rockets: Martin or Landry?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2010.
  1. Martin

177 vote(s)
    71.7%
  2. Landry

70 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. Houston22

Houston22 Member

It's not a knee-jerk.. well.. anyways..

I would really like to hear your opinion what are one's player advantages over another?
    You've seen Martin play on Kings, you've seen enough of Landry on Rockets.

1. Who and why you believe is better for Rockets?
    2. What are one's player advantages over another?
    3. Do you believe Martin will turn out a winner on Rockets?
    4. What are your predictions for Rockets considering this is done deal?

2. NO NAME

NO NAME Member

Martin is a handsdown better scorer, but landry can bring us energy and hustle and some defense too, but I need to take Martin's health problem into consideration too.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I love Landry, and his contract was better, but I have to admit that Martin is the better fit. Prior to the trade, we basically had no starting-quality wings and two starting-quality power forwards.

Now, we have one starting quality wing (Martin) and one starting quality power forward (Scola). That makes more sense, in my opinion--it should allow us to space the floor much better and put a much-improved starting five out there.

I'll miss Landry greatly, but Martin fits well.

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Martin is the better player hands down! I don`t know if you watched him in the past, but Martin has been spectacular for the Kings. Of course his injuries are in issue, and I haven`t really seen him this year...

1. Martin is better for the Rockets (especially with Yao). Why? Well Martin is a shooter! He spreads the floor, hits his open shots, can score against the double team and create for himself and others! We already have a great PF in Scola, and when Yao comes back we can`t have too many guys crowding the basket. And we were sorely missing a great 2 guard!

2. Landrys biggest advantage is his youth, and he`s less injury prone! Plus, I still believe he has tons of potential. Martins biggest advantage is his shooting ability, his ability to create shots and that he is filling a big hole we were having at the 2 spot.

3. As long as he stays healthy, he should be a 20+ ppg type of guy, with decent assists and rebounding numbers, and several trips to the FT line. Without his injury concerns I´d almost say he is taylormade for the Rockets.

4. Well, this year, without another big, it will still be really hard to make the playoffs. If we can complete a season with Yao and K-Mart healthy, we might make it really far in the playoffs... but then again, we always said that with T-Mac and Yao as well.

5. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

Martin is definetely more skilled and talented than Landry, as well as a proven scorer.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Martin with Yao will dynamic, this season he will be our closer and paired with Brooks will be trouble for teams. Landry played extremely well but his limitations where begining to show.

Choice - Martin

By the way don't sleep on Armstrong...legit 7 footer with skills.

7. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Yea well, who comes off the bench?

And whos our 4th quarter scoring guy?

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Martin is obviously the fourth quarter scoring guy... I guess the bench becomes more defense focused with Lowry, Battier, Hayes (next year when Yao plays).

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Bench? Perhaps Ariza, Budinger, Lowry, Anderson

4th quarter scorer? Martin hands down. He has proved time and again that he is capable of doing that!

10. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

Martin could fill that role of 4th quarter scoring. In terms of coming off the bench, we don't have a strong post presence to do that, but at least we improved our starting lineup.

You can't receive talent without giving up talent.

11. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Well, i like the move i wont judge Martin untill a two-three seasons and his ability to stay healthy and contribute. What i look at is not so much the trade, but the availability of bigmen in this deep draft who would almost certainly fall in our hands the stacked it is. It's a pretty deep pool. I think the trade for Martin makes sence for both ball-clubs. Landry will fill in nicely for them and can still improve. He's had a nice run here in Houston and was a key contributer on that huge win streak. He made some big plays in the playoffs. The trade for Martin will be better evaluated coming on draft day imo..

12. powerights

powerights New Member

However i like Carl..

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

This is an interesting thought, if we pick up a guy like Cole Aldrich to develop and back up Yao we could be set for a very strong run these next few years.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm sad to see Landry go, but really his best asset is scoring, and Martin is significantly better in this department. Also, Landry's not a particularly great rebounder or defender. I wasn't sure if he'd fit all that great as a starter next to Yao, because without the ball in his hands there's not much else he brings other than a few hustle plays.

Always thought Scola was a better starter with Yao than Landry, and maybe Daryl has his sites on an even better starting PF. It was always unlikely we'd be able to sign Scola and Landry together anyways long term.

So yeah, I'd say it's a good trade. Still thought Morey was going to be able to pull something without giving away any of our rotation players. :(

15. jason3333

jason3333 Member

ill miss carl but what is being missed is the guy does have a iffy knee, when u have had an acl reconstruction its always in the back of ur mind, morey has always worried how carls knee would hold up

16. dartherus

dartherus Member

Brooks and/or Ariza could come off the Bench. (Lowry when healthy is perhaps better suited for running the PG when KMart is on the floor).

4th Quarter, as said before, Kmart.

17. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Anytime you can trade one of the most efficient low post players in the league who is second only to Lebron for 4th quarter scoring for an injury prone, 39% shooting SG you have to do it.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Kevin Martin, just for the sole reason because of him being such an efficient scorer, which is what this team lacks dearly. You really can't compare Landry and Martin though... they're two different type of players. Landry brings intensity, he's more athletic, he does have somewhat of a stable jump shot and he can rebound as well as swat some from time to time. Martin can get his own shot and actually put the ball in the basket... I also believe he can set other people up for open shots, but that is yet to be seen. I haven't really watched too much of Martin since the 07-08 season when he was having a career year, but he looks like a great player to me.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

too easy.

It not fair to Landry though.

Martin

20. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

My hope is that Martin is the better player for the Rockets based on team plans for the future (beyond this season). This year, it could hurt us more to lose Landry than to gain Martin...or it could even be a wash. But, if the longer-term plan is to somehow acquire a quality big man to play alongside Yao or in place of him if/when needed, then filling the gap that Martin fills is the bigger need for the team.

Personally, I'm bummed out about losing Landry. I like the guy's game AND his personality (and we're lucky in that respect in many ways with several guys who are good players and good guys with the right kind of team attitude -- players of good character). But if, in the long run, the Rockets are a better and more well-rounded team by virtue of this trade as part of the big picture, then Martin seems to be the more logical choice.

Is Martin better than Landry? It's too hard to compare them straight up for a variety of reasons. Is Martin a better long-term choice for the team? I hope so. I'm going to trust Morey and the other decision-makers on this (and what other choice do we have?).