1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who here is a coach???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SmeggySmeg, Sep 18, 2000.

Tags:
  1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Everyone loves to comment on the Rockets play, but who here actually coaches basketball.

I currently coach Under 12 girls and Under 18 girls division 1, and also coordinate both the Under 12 and 14 grades.

For those who have coached young kids, do you have any fun/muck around drills that i can use with my 12s to end training.

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

2. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

I currently only coach 5-9 year olds, but I have coached 10-13 years olds before. I must say, its a lot of fun, some of them are already pretty good and might have a future in the sport.

Most of the games/drills I know would be too simple for your age group, but if I think of any, I'll be sure to let you know Smeggy.

I'll be very suprised if HeyParty hasn't coached before. Heck, I wouldn't be suprised if he was one of the Rockets' assistant coaches. While Da Man could easily be a college scout.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

3. SmeggySmeg

Yeah Azim,

I just did Under 18 girls last year and the 12s are a joy to coach in comparison, just for the severe reduction in b****yness, the other benefit is you can work on something with the 12s and just about see insantaneous results and improvements, and it's also just that they play the game cause they enjoy.

Smeg

------------------

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

1999 was my last year to coach. I was coaching a 12 yr old boys team in Dallas.

I also worked the Collin County basketball camp in recent years.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

5. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

"I just did Under 18 girls last year and the 12s are a joy...."

You know, that's illegal over here! [​IMG]

(I couldn't pass that one up!)

------------------
    RocketFuel is dead!

6. nutcake

nutcake Member

I'm glad my mom doesn't peruse message boards...she HATES coaches...I was never a coach, but in Jr. High i was manager of the basketball team.

------------------

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I coach tennis...

I have drills that can produce 120mph serves in 3 years, given a full grown body. It is all a matter of teaching kids how to loosen themselves up and find their center of gravity (the key to torque).

As much as I would probably have fun teaching kids basketball rehashing my high school glory days, I find it more thrilling to teach kids how to use their arms as weapons, and give them a racquet to extend that weapon.

There is something primal about hitting balls with weapons and throwing things at high speed that is great to teach. golf, baseball hitting/pitching and frisbee golf also fall into this category.

Has anyone here thrown a frisbee 115 yards. Your arm actually makes a whistling noise going through the air.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited September 21, 2000).]

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

that reminds me,,,

hehe...I just won $250 in a bar bet with 5 people that I couldn't knock a serve through the back fence in 50 tries. There hasn't been a bucket of balls that haven't produced that since the secret to serving just clicked one day 10 years ago.

suckers...hehe

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Been away a few days.....

Smeg, I coach three different teams and have for 4 years now. I have 11-12 yr. old boys, 8-9 yr. old boys, and 6-7 yr. old co-ed teams. The thrill of watching these kids advance from league to league, learning as they go, is one of the ultimate parental pleasures.

For the younger age group, I use two different drills for fun. One is called "the rebound game". Fairly simple in nature, I toss a purposely missed shot and let the four or five smallest kids battle for it. Then I repeat for the tallest kids, with the top two from each group getting to have the final "battle". This lets the kids have the thrill of winning, while showing me who has the "natural" rebounding ability, and who must be taught. Winner always gets to run a lap. You know, after four years, these kids still are happy to run that lap just because they won. I also wind up practices with a free throw contest. Everyone gets three shots, with laps to run for every missed shot. They ask "Why can't we do this at the beginning of practice when we are not tired?" Which, of course, gets the answer "because when it's the fourth quarter, I want you to be strong enough to hit your free throws!"

Older kids are different. I have found that drills are not as effective as scrimmage games. Whether it is against themselves or other teams, game situations are the best way to judge how a kid will respond to certain situations and what needs to be worked on.

I could go on and on (this parks and rec league is a passion of mine!) Better yet, just come down to the gym and I will run you thru the whole routine.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

10. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

IM 15 and i coach a 1st 2nd and 3rd grade bball team. im a co-coach kinda me and my neighbor do it.

------------------
    --TEX

11. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I'm going to coach a third grade girl's team in a rec center league and assist with a fifth grade girl's AAU team next month. A game all my own kids love to play is called Knockout. Line the kids up in a single line at the ft line. The first kid shoots a free throw. If they make it, they go back to the end of the line. If they miss, they have to rebound the ball and make it before the next shooter in line makes their shot. If they don't and the next shooter makes their shot first, then they are "knocked out." You keep playing until only one player remains. Every shooter's first shot is from the ft line. After that, it's a mad scramble.

------------------

12. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

grummett, thats a good game, but I know it as "Bump", as in you can bump the opponents ball away with your own ball.

There's been some good suggestions here. We implement a game similar to the "rebound" game Behad referred to, but its called the "numbers" game. In it, we give a group of kids a number for every two kids, pairing them in numbers to someone in comparable size and skill. Then I would throw the ball up, roll it, or lob it, and call out a number. If I call out #4, for example, the two 4's would go for the ball, and the first person to get the ball would be on offense, while the other player would defend. It can get a little physical at times, but its a good endurance game that the Kids enjoy. However, it might be too simplistic for your age group, Smeg.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

13. SmeggySmeg

Azim,

I use both BUMP and NUMBERS, the girls seem to like both, but i just want a couple of others. I also use numbers for 2 on 2 aswell, numbers is great for increasing the competitive nature of girls, in that the contest is not over until the basket is scored.

Smeg

------------------