1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has done the best at rebuilding the past few years?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Best rebuild job?

1. Warriors

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Rockets

62 vote(s)
    72.1%
  3. Pacers

15 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Got this idea from a Reddit thread on r/nba.

It is honestly pretty impressive what some teams have done without taking the "easy way out" and necessarily overpaying for a superstar or obviously tanking. My question is, who has done the best job?

The top candidates are the Pacers, Warriors and Rockets.

You can even argue that New Orleans, Wizards, Magic and Cavs deserve some consideration now

Of course, the results will be biased against teams that have done a magnificent job of staying highly competitive throughout the years without having to rebuild dramatically like the Spurs, Bulls, Miami and Lakers

Also, i think it is unfair to discount a rebuilding job just because your lottery pick turned out to be current or future All-star caliber (Cavs, GSW, etc.) But of course, a team who rebuilds with lower lottery picks is always more impressive than one who can use a top 3 pick.

What do you guys think?

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Call me biased all you want, but our GM got us two top 10 players.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Rockets...and I don't believe it's even close.

This is a superstar's league...and in about an 8-9 month span, Morey has added arguably the league's best shooting guard and the league's best center.

4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Rockets

but warriors and pacers have done excellent as well

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think the Pacers, mainly because of what they've done whilst dealing with that their market locks them into avoiding the luxury tax. Our team as designed has to go 10-15m over it at best in the long term, so it's not really a fair comparison, it's like saying LA won more rings than SA whilst running a 30% larger payroll.

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Even more important, he did it without giving up anything of substance for our future. One of those players isn't even in his prime yet and the other is going to get back to the player he was (everything is in his favor to do so -- and last year anyone could have predicted he was going to have an off year).

Not to mention, three of our starting five are already the final pieces to the championship roster for the next 4 years!

Morey will fill in the holes flawlessly.

I can't think of a team with a brighter future than ours. Maybe the Heat. But, Lebron's contract might put their future at risk.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What's our timeframe here? I'd say Miami did the best job, followed by OKC. But, maybe those are recent enough. Miami rebuilt in the summer of 2010, which wasn't too long ago. They did it in a single offseason, via free agency, and I don't think anyone ever has done a better job of it than the Heat did. OKC did a textbook rebuild via draft, but that was 2007-2009, so maybe too long ago.

If we're talking about the post-Superfriends era, I suppose I have to vote Houston. Pacers and Warriors are good teams, but they're a second tier of contender. But, I think props should also go to the Clippers for picking up Chris Paul and become a respectable second-tier contender themselves. If it wasn't for poor leadership from the ownership, I think they could have topped this list.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets because they did it without having high draft picks. Very difficult. Not sure it has ever been done.

Credit the Pacers though for getting George and Hibbert as 1st rounders in the teens. They weren't top ten. Hit home runs.

GS drafted great. But Curry, Barnes were top 10 picks. I think Klay was #12? They hit a home run on all of them though. Almost like the OKC model.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Rockets did it in a different way as mentioned before. We still had a team that was fun to watch and was in the hunt for the 8th seed in April.

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

On a Rockets site, I think this one will be a little biased. But I honestly can't pick against Houston here. Teams don't rebuild without tanking. Daryl did just that.

11. shastarocket

Rockets are understandably heavily favored, but you gotta look at the Warriors.

They wasted their amnesty on Charlie Bell while being locked up with Biedrins this whole rebuilding period. They found a taker for Monta while acquiring a solid (when healthy) Bogut, and allowed Steph to flourish. The got rid of the underperforming Dorell Wright for Jarrett Jack. Acquiring RJ for Captain Jack allowed them to draft Festus Ezeli. Harrison Barnes was a great draft pick that was incredible as a rookie. And of course the ridiculous cap clearing move to acquire AI with the possibility of keeping their MLE (Speights could be a S+T)!

And you cannot ignore the hiring of Mark Jackson. If it wasn't for him, I don't believe you would have so many young role players step up during the playoffs and Steph Curry crash into a top ten player!

Their young core is a locked up and can only get better. Bogut will come off the books this year and they can add a nice $4-5 mill piece if they choose not to bring back Bogut.

Depth Chart:
    PG: Stephen Curry, Scott Machado
    SG: Klay Thompson, Kent Bazemore, Kevin Murphy
    SF: Andre Iguodala, Harrison Barnes, Draymond Green
    PF: David Lee, Marreese Speights
    C: Andrew Bogut, Festus Ezeli, Dwyane Jones

Besides the solid starters they have crazy depth at the bigs. Steph's back is an issue though...

12. shastarocket

Sorry, meant to say Steph's back-up is an issue

13. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Ill go Clippers, with rockets a close second. Remember they had #1 in 2009 and have a chance at #2 in the west this year.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think we should wait until these teams actually do not suck before we give them credit for rebuilding. None of them won 30 games last year. Lots of teams look good on paper and don't pan out.

15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

and the Rockets don't??

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Our rebuilding period after Yao lasted only three years.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We may not be considered number one in the west but this right here is PHENOMENAL! to be dead in the water (a .500 team not even tanking) 3 years ago to up two top 10 players in less than 5 years is pretty unheard of.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Other: Miami all day every day.

19. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Pacers cause they've gotten the results. Rox reach conference finals or further this year I'd give them the nod

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

How they were built:
    I think it's all right, ha.

Pacers
    D.J. Augustin - Free Agency
    Paul George - Draft(2010 - Rd1 10th overall)
    Danny Granger - Draft(2005 - Rd1 17th overall)
    Gerald Green - Free Agency
    Ben Hansbrough - Free Agency(Undrafted)
    Tyler Hansbrough - Draft(2009 - Rd1 13th overall)
    Roy Hibbert - Trade(2008 - Toronto Raptors - Roy Hibbert, Maceo Baston, T.J. Ford, and Rasho Nesterovic to Indiana for Nathan Jawai and Jermaine O'Neal.)
    George Hill - Trade(2011 - San Antonio - George Hill to Indiana for Kawhi Leonard, Davis Bertans, and Erazem Lorbek)
    Solomon Hill - Draft(2013 - Rd1 23rd overall)
    Orlando Johnson - Trade(2012 - Sacramento - Orlando Johnson to Indiana for cash.)
    Ian Mahinmi - Trade(2012 - Dallas - Ian Mahinmi to Indiana for Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones.)
    Miles Plumlee - Draft(2012 - Rd1 26th overall)
    Lance Stephenson - Draft(2010 - Rd2 40th overall)
    David West - Free Agency
    Sam Young - Free Agency

Golden State
    Harrison Barnes - Draft(2012 - Rd1 7th overall)
    Kent Bazemore - Free Agency(Undrafted)
    Andrew Bogut - Trade(2012 - Milwaukee - Andrew Bogut & Stephen Jackson to Golden State for Kwame Brown, Monta Ellis and Ekpe Udoh.)
    Stephen Curry - Draft(2009 - Rd1 7th overall)
    Toney Douglas - Free Agency
    Festus Ezeli - Draft(2012 - Rd1 30th overall)
    Draymond Green - Draft(2012 - Rd2 35 overall)
    Andre Iguodala - Free Agency/Sign and trade(2013 - Denver - Andre Iguodala to the Warriors for Randy Foye(from Utah-to Denver) and a 2018 2nd round pick(from Golden State-to Utah).)
    Dwayne Jones - Free Agency
    David Lee - Free Agency/Sign and trade(2010 - New York - David Lee to the Warriors for Kelenna Azubuike, Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf, a 2012 2nd round draft pick (Quincy Miller) and a 2013 2nd round draft pick (Romero Osby).)
    Scott Machado - Free Agency
    Kevin Murphy - Trade(2013 - Utah - Kevin Murphy & trade exceptions to the Warriors for Andris Biedrins, Richard Jefferson, Brandon Rush, 2014 first round pick, 2017 first round pick, two second round picks, and cash.)
    Nemanja Nedovic - Trade(2013 - Phoenix - Nemanja Nedovic to the Warriors for Archie Goodwin and Malcolm Lee.)
    Jermaine O'Neal - Free Agency
    Marreese Speights - Free Agency
    Klay Thompson - Draft(2011 - Rd1 11th overall)

Houston Rockets
    James Anderson - Free Agency
    Omer Asik - Free Agency
    Patrick Beverley - Free Agency
    Isaiah Canaan - Draft(2013 - Rd2 34th overall)
    Omri Casspi - Free Agency
    Francisco Garcia - Trade(2013 - Sacramento - Francisco Garcia(Tyler Honeycutt, & Thomas Robinson) to Houston for Cole Aldrich, Toney Douglas, Patrick Patterson & cash.)
    James Harden - Trade(2013 - Oklahoma City - James Harden(Cole Aldrich, Lazar Hayward, & Daequan Cook) to Houston for Jeremy Lamb, Kevin Martin, 2013 first round pick(Steven Adams), future first round pick, & future second round pick)
    Dwight Howard - Free Agency
    Terrence Jones - Draft(2012 - Rd1 18th overall)
    Jeremy Lin - Free Agency
    Donatas Motiejunas - Trade(2012 - Minnesota - Donatas Motiejunas(Jonny Flynn, & 2012 second round pick) to Houston for Brad Miller, Nikola Mirotic, Chandler Parsons, and 2013 first round pick.)
    Tim Ohlbrecht - Free Agency
    Chandler Parsons - Draft(2012 - Rd2 38th overall)
    Greg Smith - Free Agency

I'll say Pacers I guess.

#20 J.R., Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013