1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has been the biggest bust in Spring Training so far?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RootHouston, Mar 24, 2014.

1. RootHouston

RootHouston Member

So, in your opinion, who has been the biggest bust in Spring Training so far? Who did you think would be more impressive, but has been the most sub-par?

I'm going to have to go with Jerome Williams. This guy was signed to a Major League contract, and has a 5.90 ERA for the spring. He's battling with young guys who have not been very good at all just to get a spot near the bottom of the rotation.

Also on my list of disappointments: Delino DeShields and Jon Singleton

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who cares?

Show me the data that strongly correlates ST performances (good or bad) with regular season performances?

Pitchers are working on different things... hitters aren't in shape... fielders seem to commit more errors.

I am concerned about Altuve continuing to get picked off (a problem that did translate to regular season play), along with the lack of defined roles thus far in the bullpen... but signaling out any individual (good or bad) based on ST performances only is mostly a meaningless endeavor.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

George Springer.

I agree, the stats are pretty meaningless. Springer actually had a great ST last year.

4. RootHouston

RootHouston Member

I agree to a certain extent. I know that guys are out there trying new stuff, etc., but some guys are there to fight for roster spots, and intend to show up to play. For example, you can't honestly tell me that Singleton's performance this spring is not disheartening, can you?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ining-prospects-perform-in-the-regular-season

I will not say this is strong correlation, but it does show that a strong spring at an early age is a very good sign.

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Jon Daniels!!

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL Quite a ST for them. Injuries piling up.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

I'll say Villar.

People can talk about how ST doesn't matter. For most teams, I'd probably agree. I would definitely agree for veteran, or competing, teams.

But for a younger squad like ours, some ST stats are certainly disheartening.

Villar's one area that needed vast improvement was fielding. So far, he's been an absolute dud. This is upsetting because fielding is a skill that Villar should have been able to improve on over the offseason. Villar is a high potential guy, but he won't, and shouldn't see the field for a competitive team if he cannot field. And so far this ST, he has done far from proving that he deserves to be on a ML team.

I also agree that some pitching statistics so far have been upsetting, but ST is a time where players get their legs under them. I'm most worried that Kuechel's FB was sitting around 82-84. I mean, sure he shoul get better...but thats HS numbers right there, and he was already topping out around 88 during the year.

/rant

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Numbers don't necessarily say anything about what a player will do in the regular season, BUT spring performance is huge for players fighting for jobs. Fair or not, that's just the truth

I'm most disappointed with Singleton this spring, he had a legit chance to win the 1B job and was terrible. Getting a large improvement at 1B could have been something that gave the team a nice boost this year, seems rather unlikely now

10. Buck Turgidson

Krauss basically put up the numbers you hoped Singleton would, no? Isn't that a wash?

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Maybe, but don't think Krause has the upside that Singleton does so was hoping Singleton would show he has recovered from last years wasted year.

12. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

this thread needs pics

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And if he doesn't do that in 2 weeks with intermittent playing time (against pitchers throwing random stuff), its a sign that he hasn't recovered?

For me, Singleton needed to show that he was in better shape (he was), he needed to show he had put his past drug issues behind him (even if that interview was just lip-service, he said more than he had to), and he needed to get enough reps at 1B to get used to dealing with Villar/Altuve (and their sometimes errant throws).

My guess is that he'll be up after the super-2 deadline passes (the Villar/Cosart timetable from last year).

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Definitely hard to imagine Singleton coming up before the Super-2 deadline, especially with 3 current roster players capable of playing 1B.

Springer would be more likely to come up sooner, especially if there is an injury to Fowler/Grossman/Hoes.

15. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

A better question might be who has impressed in ST? A lot of guys have been bad because this organization is awful.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess Krauss is the defacto choice because I feel his performance directly led to him making the big league club.

Cosart's start against the Nats was simply awesome... and it was against a lot of their regulars also.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The organization is awful therefore the players played poorly?

I'm not sure I see the correlation. What's happening in the business office for tv, stadium signs, lawsuits, etc. has nothing to do with how these guys should be performing.

Now, if they're going Rachel Phelps on the team, then I could see where that might affect things.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Since Jesus Guzman has hit so poorly, the Astros are actively looking for another option at first.

20. RootHouston

RootHouston Member

Seems to be a common attitude these days, not very well reasoned, but check out the comments on chron.com. It's sickening.