1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think Player X will be in offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsfan34, Apr 21, 2000.

1. Hydra

Hydra Member

Cato got Houston to agree to a deal that they later regretted and has 666k raises.
    Hmmmmm.....

------------------
    I'm sticking with Charlotte. I can't flip because I don't want to be confused with Peter Vecsey.
    -- Charles Barkley

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Mutumbo may not be out of the price range.

Drew 1.1
    Rogers 2
    Bullard 1.???
    Walt close to 4 with raise
    Trade ex 4.5
    Detroit, Orlando picks to sweeten

The trade exception has some value and the hawks don't look like a playoff team next year even with Dikembe. Dikembe, Olajuwon and Cato would be a killer defensive frontcourt and block shots start fastbreaks.

I honestlt don't know if this would be a good trade for Atlanta. I don't think Dikembe is out of the realm of possibilities expecially since the rocks have a lot of firepower at the 1 and 2 and are a little short in the D.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

3. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Here's an off the wall idea. We need rebounding, shot blocking, intimidation, and a durable big man who can trigger the fast bread, right? How about Dikembe Mutombo?

The salary fits: Drew's $1.1 million plus Cato's $7 million plus our $4.5 million exception match Dik's $12 million, and he is signed until 2001. We can then choose to use all that money in the free agent pool or keep him. He's old (33?) but hasn't missed a hame in 2-3 years and led the league in rebounding and altered shots.

We then trade *down* in the draft so we can have two picks and grab Jason Collier and a young center. (I like Kenyon and Stromile, but that's about it earlier in the draft.)

------------------
    If you don't remember the ABA, you don't know basketball.

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Mutombo's really old

------------------

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

ricealum, a couple of points:

-If we trade for a big salary, it won't be a 33 year old player. Otherwise, when Francis is in his prime, we're right back to where we are now with 36 or 37 year old center.

-Cato is a Base Year Compensation player so you can only get 50% of his salary in return for him.

-$7M is the average yearly salary of Cato's deal. The first year of his deal should be just under $5.4M with a flat 12%(648K) raise each year.

------------------