1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do we get rid of ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jul 1, 2000.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

If Jason Collier is the player Rudy and CD claim he is. And if we really are interested in signing Chris Webber next year then what has to transpire.

It seems to me we already have too many PF’s as it is. Do we keep KT? How about Carlos Rogers? Do we resign Tmass? What bout Bullard? How will Collier get any playing time with all these guys?

How do we get more cap space for next year? Someone suggested trading Walt Williams for Chris Mullin. Do you really think Indiana would want Walt Williams’ huge contract?

And where is the Bryce Drew trade that everyone was talking about?

------------------

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Collier is versatile. He'd be a perfect backup big man a team with Webber/Cato.

Bullard is an SF. I think Langhi will be replacing him by next year.

TMass is a free agent this year. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him leave.

KT and Los could be odd men out.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

NIKEstrad,

There have been numerous posts about how the Rockets should have acquired J Moiso or E Thomas or etc instead of Collier, but Jason can give a serviceable 10 minutes a game at the 5 spot that the others can't.

With Dream still iffy, Jason is the insurance
    policy if #34 has a serious relapse with his medical problems.

Is Collier the long-term solution for the PF spot and backup center spot? Probably not, but he seems to be the only person in this past draft that met every criteria for what the Rockets need this season.

Mango

------------------

Eat more spinach!
    Live long and prosper!
    Donate blood!

Smeg will be assimilated.

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited July 01, 2000).]

4. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I agree. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Collier starting this year though, over Thomas (at least I hope so [​IMG])

This brings us LOADS of options.

This year, we can start
    Hakeem (or Cato, pretty interchangeable)
    Collier
    Anderson
    Mobley
    Francis

I'd prefer Mobley off the bench, but we can go with a shorter 3 guard lineup, with 2 7 footers in there. Now we have our low post presence/shooter, our guard lineup, and our defense. Our bench would consist of guys like KT, Moochie, Cato or Hakeem, Walt, Langhi/Bullard, Rogers, off the bat, you notice no backup SG (ironic, that's our deepest position)

Thus, we can trade Walt for peanuts/bench players who's contracts expire in 01, and not have much difficulty. Myself and MManal have been going over some of the possibilities, and it's pretty nice out there.

IMO, the most ideal trade we could possibly pull off would be Walt for Marjele/Ernest Brown, then choosing not to take Marjele's option (making him a free agent, and allowing him to resign with the Heat). Basically, we pick up a nice backup athletic shot blocking and rebounding center, and drop 6 million off next year's cap out of the deal. That'd be exactly what I'm hoping for. Some other possibilities are Walt Williams for Doug West/Dennis Scott (both free agents next year), and Williams for Mullin (doubtful).

One thing I noticed that scares me-Dallas should be about 20 million under the cap. As of right now, the only players they have past 01, are Nowitzki, Nash, Alexander, Thomas, Harvey. That's only about 10 mill in salary. Finley will get a 10 million dollar contract (I think), and they've got 20 million to spare. They will resign Hubert Davis (probably to something a little hefty....maybe 4 mill per year? Nellie likes him) and they have many other free agents that hopefully (for our sake) they'll sign. We may be in luck though, as their FA target SHOULD be Mutumbo (they have no center since Bradley's a FA), and not Webber (they already have a load at PF, with Nowitzki, Etan Thomas, Wallace and probably Gary Trent)

Other things to think about: I was VERY pro-Moiso. Moiso is possibly the "answer" at PF, while I don't think Collier will be. But this leaves the door open for a certain free agent in 01. Collier can flourish being a role player. Moiso will be either hit or miss (either great, or he'll totally bust). If we were to have drafted Moiso then acquired this "certain" free agent, I'd think that'd almost seal Moiso's fate as a bust.

I think Collier may be our long term main backup big man solution, I really do.

Taking the less talented, but better fitting role player, allows us to take the superstar potential PF in draft/free agency next year. And, I've mentioned numerous ones that possibly will be in the draft.

-----------------

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 01, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 01, 2000).]

5. Mango

NIKEstrad,

Quite Possible Future:

Cato, Haywood
    Jason, KT
    T Morris, Dan L
    SA, Cat
    Francis, Mooch

fill out the end of the bench

The Happy Scenario:

Cato, Haywood
    Mr X, Jason
    T Morris, Dan L
    SA, Cat
    Francis, Mooch

fill out the end of the bench

There are even Happier Scenarios depending on who is drafted next year, but I went with a fair expectation.

Mango

------------------

Eat more spinach!
    Live long and prosper!
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating

6. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

If we can put Morris on this team, we'll need nothing more for our 1-3 positions. We'll be set for 10 years.

Cato can be the main center.
    Collier can be backup PF.
    That leaves a starting PF (Mr. X, Eddy Curry, Troy Murphy, Brian Cook, Carlos Boozer, Eddie Griffin, Zach Randolph, Drew Gooden, Dan Gadzuric, drafting Woods/Haywood/Chandler and converting Cato to PF)
    and a backup C (Ken Johnson, Alvin Jones, aftorementioned centers making Cato backup, etc.)

------------------

7. Mango

If Cato's game has made a move forward as reported, things can turn out really nice.

The potential pick next year from the Bucks has me going. [​IMG]

Drew is an issue that has me concerned. Since the draft dust has settled, who would give us anything for him?

Mango

------------------

Eat more spinach!
    Live long and prosper!
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating

8. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

In my opinion you can never have too many PFs.

the league is now starting to favor the lean mean shot blocking 6'10 machines.

Thats why Jermaine O'Neal is wanted so much.... he is the model player for the next generation of NBA players. (KG is the ULTIMATE model)

--Rocketman

------------------