1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

who can be this years von wafer????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by johnnydeezy1, Sep 29, 2010.

1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

i hope this year jermaine taylor can be a smaller version of dwane wade like he claims, wafer wasn't anything special, how many more years is this gona drag its not like he was michael jordan.

2. AXG

AXG Member

I'm not sure any of them will make the team, maybe Smith since the Rockets need a 3rd point guard. The Rockets have good depth. Budinger, Lee and Lowry could all be starters on another team and once Patterson develops, he could be the next Landry.

Brooks/ Lowry
    Martin/ Lee
    Battier/ Budinger
    Scola/ Hayes/ Patterson
    Yao/ Miller/ Hill

Taylor, Jeffries, maybe Smith?

3. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

This thread isnt about von wafer. He was just an example

4. choujie

choujie Member

Are you kidding? Monta Ellis, Louis Williamns, Ryan Gomes were all drafted after Wafer and did much better and had a bigger impact than Wafer.

Sure, Budinger doesn't even come close to Wafer, because he's so much better than Wafer. He has the ability to rebound, pass, defend and play within a team concept which Wafer the black-hole can only dream of.

As good as Wafer played, he had a +0.2 impact with 31% total playing time, while Budinger had a +0.6 with 37% total playing time. If anything, Budinger was a bigger key for Rockets to have a winning record last year.

1 person likes this.
  5. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Who cares about Von Wafer. Why would I want anyone to be like him? To be a ball stopper, ball hogger, bad IQ and cries to the coach when he gets pulled out in a big playoff game?

Comon now, just because he hit a few shot and threw down a couple of dunks is not enough to keep bringing him up. Its better to have a player NOT like Von Wafer. Chase Bud is a better example. He's a better shooter, more athletic, higher IQ, and a better team player.

6. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

BTW, please no more Von Wafer threads.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree completely.

...and I think it's worth noting we were a considerably shallower team back then than we are now. Wafer surprised a lot of people because they weren't expecting much but let's not get carried away. There is a reason he hasn't stuck on a roster and I'm not even so sure he is on a NBA roster for next year. Basically what I'm trying to say is if we are looking forward to the next surprising player like Von then that's a surely a sign that our season is in the toilet as it would mean several very good(but known quality) players are injured and we are at the bottom of our depth. Maybe guys like Cbud don't surprise you, but he will have a far longer career as an rotation NBA player than Wafer and guys like him.

...why can't people pick former Rockets who were actually not bad to harp over? There must be 50 Von Wafer references to every one Kelenna Azabukie reference and Kelenna is a far better player.

8. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

You've seen Bud's prime?

9. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Von Wafer

*prays*

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wafer was a rotation player for a team that lost out on the 2-seed on the last game of the season. There is no way Budinger could have done that last year.

11. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

wtf? this thread isnt about von wafer. Its about who you think can make the team and surprise us this season. i used von as an example because he did exactly that. so to all you people complaing about another wafer thread, this is not one.

12. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

von wafer sucks......get over it......nothing more than backup garbage.....

13. BROOKS & DONE

BROOKS & DONE Member

j taylor, i think he can come off the bench hog the ball not pass and make some very exciting plays. except maybe from behind the arc.

14. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

If rick gives JT serious pt like i think he might earn this year, I think he can really make an impact. It's just kinda hard to see who's minutes he's gonna take. I think he is an aggressive offensive player and an athletic defensive player that puts forth competitive effort...(see his start against the Kobe and what Kobe said about him as a player).

If he can grow and learn to score within the flow of the Rockets' offense he can be an effective slasher. He can get to the rim with ease, but he does need to work on his mid-range pull up jump shot.

15. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I like Antonio Anderson as a player, he might be able to make the team if he plays well but I highly doubt he'll contribute like Wafer did in the season. Someone already on the roster that could potentially fit that role is Jermaine Taylor.

16. MadMax4life

MadMax4life Member

No one can replace a von wafer type... he was one of a kind. i really liked this kid. wish he got along with RA... he was becoming my fav. rocket since Maxwell.... I miss that guy

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If it was "Who can be this years Carl LANDRY?" it'd be OOOOH my favorite Rocket EVERRRR, I miss him please sign him back :(

Unless you specifically say "based on surprise performance" (which is how you meant it), I don't think the personal feelings can be separated from a player. If you say who's the next Steve Francis, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, all of them will get some kind of negative snappy response of next "dribble off his foot", "McLazy", "injury prone cash cow".

I think Alexander Johnson is a longshot to make the team. But then I said DJ Strawberry shoulda been on the team over Von Wafer, so lets see how it plays out.

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Yessir, well said. If Von would have replace Chase last season, the Rockets would have a losing record. Chase is a much better overall player. He's longer, just as athletic if not more, smarter player, and overall, higher potential.

19. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

oh i totally understand, its just alot of people were saying "no more von threads" and stuff.

20. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

lol that's my signature!!!other then that,I think it'll be lee for sure