1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who calls the concussion, and what are the repercussions for failure to do so?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Has Harden not mentioned the concussion in order to protect Rockets medical staff?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Harden took a lot of flak for “choking” in game 6. Looked horrible on his reputation. It seems clear that he had a concussion, and after the season was over, it would only help his reputation to have a doctor explain to the public that he did not actually choke, but that he had a concussion.

That begs the question, why would Harden NOT do something that would clearly help his reputation?

I was reading an article about a concussion in the NFL and this caught my eye:

“On Monday, Eagles Coach Andy Reid said that “we stuck to the criteria” in evaluating Bradley, referring to N.F.L. guidelines issued last year requiring that players be examined when a concussion was suspected and removed for the day after one was diagnosed. Reid said he did not see Bradley stagger and fall. The Eagles made no further statement and did not make the team’s head athletic trainer who usually performs the neurological exams, Rick Burkholder, available for comment.”

It got me thinking that Harden HAS to be protecting the trainers and medical staff. Whether he made a deal with them, or he simply doesn’t want them to get in trouble for failing to diagnose, I believe that the protection of their jobs and reputations is the reason why we are left to speculate regarding game 6 of the 2017 NBA second round playoffs.

Tl;dr Harden ain’t a snitch

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Question don’t match poll, and that’s the way it’s gonna be.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden conspiracy

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why do we think Harden had a concussion?

Is this speculation, still? I assume because this thread is actually making a point that there are no quotes from the Rockets about this. Are we speculating that they are afraid to go public about ignoring a concussion protocol?

Isn't this how conspiracies get started? Someone speculates with interesting video evidence, then we start saying "There are no quotes to refute this." Or maybe there are no quotes on such and such theory, because that's not what happened.

@DonKnock apologies if your research already brought to surface some quotes from the team or players. Your thread's OP didn't highlight that. Can you help clear this up?

5. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I'll admit I was pissed about game 6 too but as a fan base it's time to move on.

We have the best team and backcourt in the NBA and we're stuck on last year...

cheke64 likes this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

@justtxyank said that he saw Harden deny having a concussion at the time.

I did not see any such quotes denying to have one. Rather, I saw a denial by omission; meaning that when asked about his poor play he deliberately took his answers nowhere near the concussion topic so that he didn’t have to directly make a statement one way or the other about it.

#6 DonKnock, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  7. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

It looks like an overwhelming majority of voters believe that Harden is protecting med staff's failure to diagnose.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. don't you get it?? THEY'RE IN ON THE CONSPIRACY TOO!! :eek:

topfive likes this.
  9. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

My favorite OS is OS Trigonum.

don grahamleone and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

When was there ever a concussion topic? Was Harden ever asked that? I assumed your thread was the first suggestion, since you didn't link to any other articles with the "concussion topic",

So, I guess my question is two-fold, neither Rockets nor Harden have ever talked about a concussion, right? And the media has never made it a topic, right?

Not challenging the ideas. I just want to get to the bottom of where the concussion topic came from? It came from this forum, no? Or other fan forums?

If not, links, please. I don't think I'm the only one wondering why these concussion posts are popping up in various threads here

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

OP hates matching his original question with the poll question

iNoseBleedRed likes this.
  12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The original idea seems to have came from a rival NBA front office:

https://nesn.com/2017/05/nba-executive-thinks-james-harden-might-have-been-concussed-vs-spurs/amp/

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-act-has-everyone-including-popovich-baffled/

https://deadspin.com/seriously-what-the-hell-happened-to-james-harden-1795161021

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...ts-national-attention-washington-post.282783/

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

There isn’t an independent neurologist at the game like there is in football because concussions are less common. It would be on the team medical staff to examine the player or the player to self report the concussion symptoms.

We know Harden didn’t come out of the game to get looked at because he shot the free throws(if another player shot them Harden couldn’t come back into the game) and the refs wouldn’t even look at the play for a flagrant before they made him shoot them.

14. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i get the feeling that Harden isnt too concerned with excuses and just wanted to move on. I for one believe he got his rocks knocked pretty hard and that may have attributed to his lackluster game. however if i was harden, i would still try to play because it gives the team the best chance to win. And I dont think harden would have allowed anyone to get in his way of playing.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

A concussion happens when your brain hits your skull, right?

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

and the revisionist history train rolls on....

James was "passive" out of the gate for game 6... didnt take a shot or grab a rebound for the first 20 minutes or something....

Is the narrative that he started the game with a concussion from the previous game?

whatever people gotta tell themselves, I guess...

I applaud James' increased focus and effort on both ends of the floor this year - looks astounding! ...but I'm not handing out no free passes for game 6 based on some people's hypothetical breakdown of what might have happened.... lol

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Theory #190873: He got in a fist fight with Ariza in the locker room and that's where he got the concussion.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Who cares? If you had any semblance of how much pressure James Harden had to basically carry this team's offensive production night in and night out, then you realize what happens when that single point of failure, fails. He could have had a concussion, he could have had an off night. It would have resulted in the same result.

With Chris, and our improved defense, we have a legit chance this season. Who cares about last season anymore?

That was actually the first season I didn't blame James Harden for a bad night or two because that type of responsibility was more than even LeBron James had to deal with in his first run with Cleveland.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Umm.. yea?

These are humans not video game characters.

They don’t just reset at the beginning of each game with a brand new body and fresh set of 3 lives.

It can take 2+ weeks to fully recover from a concussion. 2 days is nothing.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Bouble

#20 DonKnock, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017