1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are some free agents you want the Rockets to go after this off-season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, May 23, 2017.

1. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I know the team needs a big and some depth at the forward position. Who are some guys that are either free agents or guys that could be traded that you want here in Houston? Realistically of course. I would be alright with them going after Blake Griffin, Nerlens Noel, Ingles, etc. Not sure they will have a shot at the first two but I think Ingles is a realistic chance. Otherwise I hope they try to make a trade for someone. If DM can pull off some sort of miracle and get PG-13 I would be ecstatic.

ball king23, BigMaloe and saleem like this.
  2. Coach E

Coach E Member

Hayward and Javale McGee

Why not? likes this.
  3. 3rdRingsAComin

Need some veteran presence to help manage and challenge Harden. Not enough winning personalities on this team

yaopao, Why not?, Hui and 4 others like this.
  4. dje243

dje243 Member

They have to find a way to get PG-13. I know he wants LA but I bet if Harden bugged him constantly Daryl could find a way to make it happen.

Hui and kwakmeister like this.
  5. rockets13champs

Realistic: Llull, Mo Speights and bring back Nene

Unrealistic dream scenario: Milsap

6. onreego

onreego Member

Well since it says Free Agent I'm not going to say PG13.

Gordon Hayward or Ibaka, Redick to replace Lou, Bring back Nene.

This is with hopes of unloading Anderson. Lou—which I'm sure we can find a taker— is great but Redick is more consistent and plays better D. He'll probably be pricey though.

roslolian, Hui and kwakmeister like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

why would anyone want to bring reddick to replace lou. don't really see any angle where that makes any sense

Nemospl and Asian Sensation like this.
  8. onreego

onreego Member

Edited my post to explain my reasoning. That's just my opinion.

Damion likes this.
  9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Need to at least take the temperature on:

Hayward
    Millsap
    Griffin
    Gallo
    Ibaka

roslolian, Why not?, Gorki and 4 others like this.
  10. StrawberryJamm

Jonathan Simmons

Jatman20, Why not?, Nemospl and 5 others like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes actually not more consistent and the difference in defense is a wash at the end of the day

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Imo:

Hayward
    George
    Millsap (over Griffin)
    Paul
    Ibaka
    Gallinari
    Holiday (over Lowry)

...all these guys in one way or another would make us better.

Under the radar kind of moves to fix a hole here and there (if available for MLE money or something close to it and vet minimum):

L(lul)l
    Tucker
    Mills
    Roberson
    James Johnson
    Ingles
    PPat
    Galloway
    Teodosic
    Vince Carter
    Cunningham
    Willie Reed
    Covington

[​IMG]

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Best post of the thread. Who do you think can manage and challenge Harden apart from Nene?

14. SemisolidSnake

Someone who knows how to box out and fight for rebounds and can teach everyone else on the team.

And someone with strong leadership aptitude who isn't afraid to encourage and hold the team to account without becoming a hated dick about it.

Fill in names as you see fit.

15. Since75

Since75 Member

Gallinari and Simmons

raining threes likes this.
  16. onreego

onreego Member

His 3pt%, ts%, and eFG% have been consistently better than Lou's. I thought his defense was better but you're right.

PER and WS are lower though and he is older. They both haven't had much success in the playoffs so can't really say much about that.

Lou is a better playmaker so maybe he just needs more time in the system. He just never seemed completely comfortable.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

huge problem when harden is supposed to be that guy to do such things. that's part of being the "leader" but yeah it just really shows he really isn't a true leader just considered so by default.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

and i didn't even mention jj is about to get a pretty big raise, in comparison to Lou definitely doesn't make sense from any angle imo. that's why i had to point it out. also jj probably had one of the worst playoff showings of his career i believe. completely non existent.

onreego likes this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nene is the only one, that I think who can do this. He is awesome for his age, but we need a younger veteran for that role. I'm afraid no one of significance will want to join us, after the debacle of Game 6, even if Morey can create cap room.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Paul George and Gordon Hayward would be the biggest gets.

PG isn't happening - not a FA, wants to eventually go to Cali, Larry couldn't face Pacers fans if he traded him for the bag of peanuts the Rockets would offer.

Hayward - seems really really unlikely. But even if Hayward does come, I think it should be noted Hayward spends 0 time at the PF position. In fact, he basically split SF/SG this year.

The big issue the team has to address is how to play offense (i) in the playoffs against a great defensive team, and (ii) without a stretch 4. Because the Rocket STILL need serious help at the 4. It's amazing to think it, especially since he was coming off injury and really not good this year, but DMO from 2 years ago actually would have helped.

If you want to go stretch 4 route, Ibaka is obviously the biggest "get" in that he can also play some defense.

Blake would be a great offensive weapon, but does he really help you defensively, being big? Millsap seems more versatile in that way, and while older, also healthier generally... but clearly not the same high upside player Blake can be.

All of which is to say.... does it really matter? They all have some flaws. And the likelihood of ANY of them wanting to come here is low... so I'm sure DM will put out feelers and try to reel in the one he thinks most likely. It will be less about best fit, and more about whoever wants to come.

roslolian and Hui like this.