1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitney Mercilus

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 26, 2012.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Upshaw is not the athlete. I did not expect Mercilus to be there. I expected them to draft Upshaw and me be disappointed. Upshaw's just not a guy I see as being a significant upgrade over Reed, where this guy has the potential to actually be a hell raiser.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Was it the killer rabbit of Caerbannog?!?!?
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

(according to Wade) Already off the shelf better than Brooks Reed?- wow, very comparable to Simeon Rice-wow...versatile to play in the 4-2-5 or the 3-4 we utilize without problem. If he played one more year, easily a top ten pick... nicely done

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The pick makes sense. Wade's defense is all about getting to the QB. Everything he does is predicated on that. So at worst this gives us extra depth at the pass rushing aspect of the team.

Given the Texans unconventional offensive system, there offensive positions are always better bang for the buck in later rounds. Heck, even Duane Brown, who's basically turned into a pro-bowl LT, was considered somewhat of a reach in the lower 1st round. I have a feeling our mid-round picks are all going to be on the offensive side of the ball.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

This guy falling to us is absolute luck. The skills he showcased don't go away in one year. Now, let's see if the Texans can trade back into the second round (for two picks) and select some receivers. Randle maybe? Take Greg Childs later on. The 49ers receiver pick helped push better ones back.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

we are going to absolutely kill our division with luck, gabbert, and locker starting games. hopefully we david carr some of these QBs.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Roger Goodell suspends ipaman 8 games and fines Clutchfans $50,000.

"We are all accountable and responsible for player health and safety and the integrity of the game. We will not tolerate conduct or a culture that undermines those priorities," said Goodell.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Mercilus looks like he could be a solid player, maybe even a star. However, whether it was the correct pick or not I think will depend on who we can pick up to plug the holes we have in the offensive line and at the WR spot. The Texans must believe they can fill those positions with quality players in the next couple of rounds. I guess it's always a crap shoot. We really won't know much until we get into the regular season.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Bruce Irvin would have been the better pick as far as potential, but apparently he was top 15 on several draft boards so that was never an option.

Mercilus is just an awesome name. Sick stats last year, hard to imagine him not at least being a great situational edge rusher.

Melvin Ingram sucks.

10. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

2 people like this.
  11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

when the Mercilus is causing fumbles deep in the opponent's territory, a deep threat WR is irrelevant. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I dont know why but this line made my day :cool:

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Andrew Luck, Jake Locker, and Blaine Gabbert.

LOL.

15. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Thank you Nostradamus.

16. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I also think this pick helps us fans start to forget that we lost Mario this off-season. Not completely, but it helps

17. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Man, that jersey is going to rock!

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thank you Nostradamus.

19. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Mario sucked...nobody cares.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think it shows how big of a loss Mario was. Phillips was obviously worried. I also suspect Kubiak getting to keep Foster meant Phillips getting more say in who was taken in the 1st.