1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

White nationalist is mainstream ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

At this point, it's acceptable to the GOP and mainstream within the core GOP base.

Leaked Emails Fuel Calls For Stephen Miller To Leave White House

Civil rights activists and more than 100 members of Congress — all Democrats — have called for Miller's resignation since the publication of the emails. But the White House is standing behind him. And Republicans have been largely silent. Critics say that this suggests the line of what's acceptable in public discourse has shifted.

To Miller's critics, the leaked emails — and the muted reaction on the right — suggest that the political dynamic around race and immigration has shifted to include ideas that were once beyond the pale.

"I fear that the line of what is normal is moving," said Vanita Gupta, the head of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights in Washington. The group sent a letter last week signed by 50 civil rights organizations, calling on the White House to fire Miller.

"I don't think that there's any way to look at those emails and to look at his own track record and not be profoundly disturbed about what we are allowing at the highest level of government today," Gutpa said.

In a White House where turnover is high, Miller is one of the staffers who have been there from the beginning. And he continues to be a key architect of the president's hard-line immigration policies.

The White House is defending him, saying Miller is opposed to bigotry in all its forms. But most Republicans have been silent.

"Yeah, it's horrible," said Mike Murphy, a Republican strategist who has worked on presidential campaigns for Mitt Romney and John McCain and describes himself as a "never Trumper."

"The Republican Party has been hijacked by Trump into this crude nativist populism and dregs like Miller running wild in positions of power," Murphy said.

Not that long ago, promoting the views of white nationalists would have hurt your career in Washington.

Earlier this year, Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, said in an interview that he wondered why the terms "white nationalist" and "white supremacist" are considered offensive. King was quickly stripped of his committee assignments and rebuked by his colleagues on both sides of the aisle.

And last year, the Trump administration dismissed two low-level staffers for attending or speaking at public events with white nationalists.

But Miller is still there.

"The Republican leaders of one half-generation ago would have taken a very strong public line against this sort of stuff," Murphy said. "George H.W. Bush, George Bush, Ronald Reagan never would have tolerated any of this."

Murphy thinks the silence among current Republicans is the sound of fear. He says they don't want to anger President Trump and his loyal base of Republican primary voters. Murphy does not think there's wide support in the GOP for white nationalist ideas.

But Maya Berry, executive director of the Arab American Institute in Washington, is not so sure. She says many Republicans are worried about the coming demographic shift in the United States. According to the Census Bureau, a majority of the U.S. will be made up of minority populations by 2045.

"That's actually the real story of the Stephen Miller problem," Berry said. "It's not that he's an anomaly. It's that at this time, regrettably, there seems to be a fairly dominant strain of the Republican Party that thinks it is appropriate to be afraid of the upcoming majority-minority change."

People who study far-right extremism say this is how ideas move from the fringe to the mainstream, and they warn that these ideas have been driving extremist violence in places such as Charlottesville, Va.; Pittsburgh; El Paso, Texas; and elsewhere.

Cynthia Miller-Idriss of American University studies white nationalism and extremism. She says the normalization of hate speech may be well underway.

"There is a danger here that people start to get a little bit cynical," Miller-Idriss said. "They downplay it, or they think like, 'Oh, it's not so bad.' But, you know, something that would have been shocking two or three or four or five years ago becomes much less shocking in 2019."

To Jared Taylor, this is progress.

The editor of AmRen says there's nothing "newsworthy" in Miller's emails or about the fact that he would seek out information that's not available from the mainstream media. And Taylor says he's gratified that his ideas are finally gaining some traction.

"I've been injecting my ideas into the general conversation patiently and diligently for the last 30 years," Taylor says. "And I can assure you that more and more people agree with me."

2. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...wait a minute...

...I thought self-avowed lifelong white supremacist KKK leader David Duke himself said that all this "white nationalism" and "white supremacy" junk was a hoax...like climate change and dinosaurs and Russian James-Bondian spycraft...;):confused:o_O

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Republicans will stay away from that word and instead bristle at the notion that "they can't be proud of their own culture and feel pride in something they had no control over." Why are The Blacks and The Gays the only protected classes?!?! :(:(:(:(

Telling though will be that while they dislike Trump even think he's a horrible man, they respect that "he's keeping his promises"...with Stephen Miller's Ice Wall at the top of the list.

4. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Yeah a jewish guy is a white nationalist. o_Oo_O

The left's new boogeyman is the new ku klux klan and white power!

Its sad when the leftists realize their ideas are SO bad even when they desperately try to just give
    everything away. Now they have to resort to scaring people that there are secret ku klux klan waiting to
    take your rights away!

Using the 'racist' card is so passe, now we have to say their 'white nationalists' to scare people even more!

Come up with policies and ideas people actually want and need and not just fear.

dachuda86 likes this.
  5. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nah, just dumb.

And let me guess. You didn't even bother reading the article that was linked that this discussion is about.

Also, South Asians and East Asians are notorious for being racists towards black people. I haven't met an Asian grandmother who is not afraid of black people.

Many modern Jewish Americans see themselves under white culture. Being Jewish doesn't make you immune from being racist towards Blacks, Arabs, Mexicans etc.

#6 fchowd0311, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    mdrowe00, JayGoogle, Rashmon and 4 others like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can judge his actions, words, and emails. That's really all we need.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Oh yeah a jew and an asian can't be racist

derp derp nothing to see you are crazy

All I can say is I hope you are buying up guns and ammo

The other side is stocked up especially after Obama got elected

Ubiquitin and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It also serves to demonize nationalists who are not calling for white nationalism. Because many don't understand the word and are instantly turned off because of the racial version that is a small minority of nationalists. Hell I have had well educated people I know conflate the two falsely.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Why do you need guns and ammo? Are you preparing for something?

13. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Need to be prepared for self defense against the loons on the right who are constantly threatening to use their arsenals if they don't get their way.

this is normal for them

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You might need to get off twitter. Real life isn't twitter...

15. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I actually don't have a twitter

I don't have a facebook either

I just forum

That's not a one off, the violence has been slowly ratcheting up for a while now. When Obama got elected, ammunition manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand. They've lost their marbles and if things play out a certain way, I could see them actually using them.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/blame-abc-news-finds-17-cases-invoking-trump/story?id=58912889

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You really have a blind spot for right wing conservatism. What this former MLB player spewed is very common. Have you ever been deeply impeded in a right wing bubble in your entire life?

I spent 4 years of my life surrounded by grown men bragging abouf the threat of armed ressurection against the Muslim communist agenda of Obama.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That is great advice, but I do not think that Trump will listen.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The issue is the popular thing to do is use the phrase “Nationalist” to describe your ideology when everyone knows you really mean White Nationalist but just want to play the victim when someone calls out the racist in you. It’s exactly what Trump has done. The guy has said he wants immigrants from countries like Norway and Sweden instead of Shithole countries in Africa, but at the same time wants to claim to be a Nationalist instead of White Nationalist??....

Please... I think your actions and sum of your words show who you really are.

Also... if you are really ideologically a nationalist you are just fooling yourself. Our fortune is connected to other countries around the globe whether you want it to be or not. We lose when we aren’t globalist in almost all aspects of our policies. Pulling out of the world alliances just makes us weaker and more vulnerable. And the the fact that this wave of so-called nationalism and wave of populist politicians is happening right now at a time of relative peace and prosperity is mind boggling. It speaks to the insane level of disinformation campaigns from foreign interests in pushing this ideology, the ignorance of the American citizen, and the overall bratty entitlement this generation of 40 to 80 year olds possess.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In honor of Thanksgiving. If it gobbles like a turkey, walks like a turkey.. It's a turkey.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The amount of racism in the Asian community is very sad. I've had to deal with that in even members of my own family. Including a family member who once said that Cleveland was a sh^thole because too many blacks live there.

fchowd0311 likes this.