1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

White guy wins election after pretending to be black- Houston TX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Realjad, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

That's pretty funny. Not shocking though, I never know who the hell in voting for on some of the small local government positions.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Pretty clever. Kind of amusing.

4. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

What is a half white, half black politician who was raised by a white mother and attended elite private schools surrounded by white culture his entire life, ran a campaign as a black man?

I don't think the OP intended it, but this is a pretty strong rebuke of the intelligence of black voters, when they are duped into voting for a candidate based on race.

5. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

i'm sure you know every candidate on your ballot. and of course I knew what you would say when I saw you had posted in this thread. predictable

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How is this a strong rebuke for blacks? Have you seen who we have elected into office in the last couple decades? We reelected a war mongler in 2004 and the guy he ran against was just as bad. We elected Mr. Hope and Change in 2008.

Sadly, these were the best guys for the job each election year, out of the dozens who started off. So I wouldn't exactly question just the intelligence of the black voters. Just take a look at those who have and continue to staunchly support their political parties.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That headline isn't doing him any favors. Irresponsible by chron.com because it makes the voters look silly and the guy look like a liar.

Bob Stein is quoted as saying it wasn't just about race AND the only controversy is his mailers had black faces on it.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thankfully, the "intelligence" of black voters saved Louisiana from David Duke a while back.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Why did they keep mentioning his anti gay views? Wth does that have to do with his position. Is hcc on montrose? Or is he going to vote against transgenders choosing their restroom?

10. Bandwagoner

He has a point in that the media is trashing the voters. All he did was put black faces on a mailer, They probably just voted out the incumbent considering the disaster that is HCC.

Probably painting blacks as anti-gay.

11. bucket

bucket Member

What about the part where he claimed to be "endorsed by Ron Wilson"? In context, that's blatantly dishonest.

12. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

well I don't know enough about it. I don't think there's a problem with the chronicle's reporting, a lot of people vote on lines that have nothing to do with the issues.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If he truly has a cousin named Ron Wilson, why is it dishonest? Also, he included (albeit in fine print), that Ron Wilson is his cousin.

14. bucket

bucket Member

Factually true, but intended solely to mislead. That counts as dishonest in my book. The only reason to include that was to trick people into thinking he was referring to the legislator.

15. Bandwagoner

He clarified he was talking about his cousin on the same mailer. Anything that isn't an outright lie about smoking crack while blackout drunk is pretty good from a politician. Considering he got elected to the HCC board, he looks like Mother Teresa in comparison.

Four of them were described as having "a relentless pattern and practice of conduct designed to enrich at a minimum their family and friends." He probably has one term max though, no matter if he steals or not.

Which is why I am guessing they just voted out incumbents and didn't care at all about race.

16. Major

Major Member

Except he seems OK with it - he admitted his strategy was to try to make voters think he was black.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I love how attending a top university removes you farther from being "black":rolleyes:

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you want to play this game, then don't you think there is a large percentage of WHITE voters, the types that live in bum-****, Alabama who would NEVER vote for anyone other than a White Christian candidate?

19. Bandwagoner

The news paints him that way but the only quotes I see are

Not exactly the 'gloating persona - rubbing it in the face of voters' attitude they are trying to sell. He seems happy to have won, but I don't think he is saying " Gotcha MORONS!" unless you have some other quotes.

20. bucket

bucket Member

He wrote "Ron Wilson and Dave Wilson are cousins," which doesn't clarify that he's not referring to the legislator any more than the "endorsed by Ron Wilson" line would.