1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Whispers and Fantasies

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by oeilpere, Nov 17, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

...yaddada yaddada.

Sorry Opie if it sounded like I meant he would never be traded. I know there is always a chance of anyone being traded as a players career winds down, but keeping KG is the best chance of the T-Wolves going to the Finals in the next 10 years and they have him locked in for quite a long time. I can't even fathom Minnesota management mortgaging their future in order to add talent over the next few years to account for the losses they took for the Smith incident. KG is the cornerstone of that franchise and will be a fixture there for at least the next 3-4 years, with or without McHale.

As for Joe Smith, we may all have been a bit premature with that story because apparently management is denying reaching an agreement with Smith, although they do have interest. I agree that he is far from putting the T-Wolves over the top, but he and KG have a close relationship, like Francis and Mobley do, and that weighs in on trade decisions heavily.

I'm curious, is this speculation on your part or from your "sources"?

------------------
    Only in America....do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke.

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

even if Joe does leave Minny, KG will not automatically demand a trade. He is a big believer in being loyal to teams. That is why i think he will play out his contract. He'll be 30 years old. 30 YEARS OLD. DA' KID-30 YEARS OLD? I dont think that i would ever sign a long-term contract. Esp. when you are a guy like kg who has proven he has skills that will last for a long time and can sign a big deal whenever he want.

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Why in hell would the Rockets want anything to do with that fat overpriced freak of a player, Bryant Reeves? He is the worst excuse for an athlete I've ever seen.

------------------
    2000-2001 Rockets Game Formulas:
    End of 1st quarter: "They're playing so well!"
    2nd: "What a great game!"
    3rd: "Theres no way they can lose now!"
    4th: "What the ******* **** happened?!!"
    Revote! Revote! Revote!......
    Rocket's Championship 2001!!

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Nobody wants him. I'm sure any team (us included) who traded for him would do so because (1) it balances out the trade cap wise and (2) you've got to give something to get something. In this case, the "giving" is taking on the burden of Big Country. Easily worth it if we got S-A-R (though in my mind there's no way Vancouver gives that guy up, period).

------------------

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

My take part 2.

Swopa - Your vigilance is appreciated, but I respectfully quote the old cliche "nothing in life is certain except death and taxes".

*** A Kevin Garnett trade

I have pointed out before that KG and a handful of other players have "grandfather clauses" which allows all them to make more than the current CBA. If (and that's a big IF) the TWolves and KG become disenchanted with one another, trading partners with the Wolves will have to fork over players worth $19,607,350/year. Garnett is signed through 2004, so the other players involved must not all be short-term contracts. (Go to RealGm and see how many players you can get for $19.6mil/year - it's amazing).

Further complicating a trade is the TWolves losing 5 years of their own 1st rounders. Any team KG is traded to is NOT going to provide a good source of Lottery picks or choice 1st rounders.

There are just too many business downsides for the Wolves to trade Garnett. KG has too much of a competitive nature. He will not take the attitude "trade me or I'll tank it".

Bottomline - IMHO KG is not going anywhere and the TWolves will stand pat hoping for Stern to "parole" them. Perhaps the sale of the team or even an administrative housecleaning would change their "sentence"!

------------------
    GATER

6. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Good to see a post from you, pops.

About the fantasy trade-

Clips get Cato, Walt, Othella and a pick. Pretty sweet.

Rockets eat Big Country's contract, but get Olowakandi and SAR. Damn.

Grizz get Hakeem, Nesby, Rooks, and a pick? No way. They could get a major playa with Shareef.

------------------

7. vj23k

i say it would take stevie to get Rahim. then if they get steve, then they would want us to take bibby(2 pg's and a sg wont work), and we would have to give up some of our frontcourt(which isnt too strong already).

and i think that stevie would forever hate us for trading him, so every time we played the grizz, he would heat up for 30+points, 9 rebounds, 10 assists, 4 steals. If we ever meet them in the playoffs with steve playing like that, i would be scared!

8. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

vj23k,

No way Vancouver would want Stevie, talent or not! He burned some bridges there and they love Bibby. We may have a chance in (insert your choice of fiery place of damnation here), if we packaged Mo and Cat, but even then, it's not likely to happen.

------------------

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

*casts a wayward glance to the #50 Reeves jersey hanging in his closet*

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

10. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Hotododdie: Okay, agreed that Reeves has a hefty price tag. But the only way anyone ever gets close to SA-R is by accepting Reeves contract. There are actually a number of ways to unload Big Contract's contract. He can be front loaded into another trade down the road with a player that has a high end and low maintenance (KT comes to mind) and a couple of picks, but that could not happen for a while. Probably next year at the earliest. But honestly I think he could find a comfortable productive niche on a number of teams, including the Rockets, when coupled with the quality players we would roster with him. In all honesty though, as many have postulated, trading Hakeem and taking Reeves in the same deal would be a hard sell. Camby: he has great ups, but his attitude scares me. RT/CD had a crack at him on a number of occasions and backed off. I trust their judgement. I have seen him lazy. I jhave seen him petulant and pouting. We already have Cato saddled withat attitude. Camby has shown he can be a reckon to behold production-wise, but IMHO he needs a dominating center to be effective. Kandiman may become a more dominating center in the future, but Cato and Reeves will likley never be that type of player. He is also undersized to play the 4/5 in the West. Relatively same price tag as Reeves, but not as far apart as some put him in total team value, in relation to Reeves.

Rocket Pimp: " I'm curious, is this speculation on your part or from your "sources"?" Only source material I had on this was that McHale is not happy about the whole thing and is/was close to "FU" country when management discussions took place concerning damage control on the Smith thing. Just as a note: KG has been a lot closer to McHale than to Smith in the past. On the entire scenario: Granted KG IS the franchise in the present and the past. I do not disagree. But, a land rich cattle baron who cannot afford any cattle to put on his land, learns that selling off his land completely (sell the franchise) or some of the prettiest land(KG) to stay productive may be his only alternative. It may not be a matter of likes and dislikes.

Nolan: "Grizz get Hakeem, Nesby, Rooks, and a pick? No way. They could get a major playa with Shareef." Not without Reeves attached. And that, Strike-Out-King, is the fly in the butter. To get something of value you must give up something of value.

ZRB(with apologies to Fadeaway): "that fat overpriced freak of a player, Bryant Reeves? He is the worst excuse for an athlete I've ever seen." Years ago when there was no such thing as internet, email, electronic bulletin boards, etc... I wrote for a small newspaper and was asked a couple of times to appear on a couple of "Sports Talk" radio shows. Amoung the day's proported "overpriced", "freaks", and "worst excuse" was the likes of Wilt, Sir Charles (before he was Sir Charles), Kareem, and more. I do not for a minute mean to put the "Big Boy" in the same category but wish to point out that at one time or another, even the nmost skilled athlete has ardent detractors.

Let me ask you this: If he is the most overpriced and the worst excuse of an athlete, what do you call a $6 Million Dollar man who has never had a season of worth, and ranks presently below Reeves in average in scoring and rebounds? Yet everyone in the league looks at his "great potential". His great unleashed upside. Mmmmmmmm, stand up Cato. Give me a guy who may have limited athletic abilities but great desire and I'll chose him over someone of great athletic sklills but limited desire ... anyday. Especially if he takes Shareef and Kandiman with him! This is not offered as an excuse for Reeves. Well, yes I guess it is. Just bear with me a bit ... Reeves was the most overused center in the NBA at one time. The Griz had nothing to shore up the game except the big guy in the middle. He defended and he scored. He became the whipping boy and the mascot at the same time. After all the physical abuse he goes through two years of deplorable medical problems. You cannot say he has been a star, but he has done his job, and other's jobs as well, for a number of years. yet, with only a few brief periods as the exception, he still has shown great desire to win, bang with the big money men of the day, play hurt, never gripe and more importantly, play the coach's game.

[This message has been edited by oeilpere (edited November 20, 2000).]

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Pops -
    I will never be able to watch Bryant Reeves play again and view him as I did before your glowing review.

I agree with you about your preference for players that put out effort everytime out. The contrast of Reeves to Cato is pretty striking. Kelvin has so much potential....will he ever get there?

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited November 20, 2000).]

12. vj23k

Launch, i realize that. i just meant if we wanted rahim, it would take steve. theres no other way. and since they dont like steve, theres no way.