1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Was the Greater Playoff Series - '94 Vs. Phoenix Or '95 Vs. Phoenix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, May 19, 2009.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Even though we were eliminated by the smug Lakers, we did take them to 7 games and this series will be long remembered by Rocket fans for the mere fact that we took the #1 seed in the West to 7 games without 2 of our best players for the final 4 games (and one for the entire series) plus our backup center.

So, I got to thinking about some other great playoff series that the Rockets have had in the past, not counting the 4 times that we made it to the NBA Finals. To me, the 2 2nd round series that we had with the Barkley-KJ led Suns in back to back years have to be up there. Here is a refresher for you:

In the 1993-94 season, the Rockets finished with the 2nd best record in the Western Conference with 58 wins (the Sonics that were led by Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton were the #1 seed but they would be upset memorably in the first round by Dikembe Mutombo's 8th seeded Nuggets). After dispatching the Blazers and Clyde Drexler in 4 games (3 games to 1), the Rockets took on the Suns who were the defending Western Conference champions and were absolutely loaded on offense with Charles Barkley and Kevin Johnson among others. Despite having HCA, the Rockets dropped not only Game 1 but Game 2 as well in Houston. Going to Phoenix for Game 3 down 0-2, not many people gave the Rockets much chance of winning the series, but the Rockets escaped the desert with wins in Games 3 and 4 to tie the series. Game 5 saw for the first time in the series the home team winning with the Rockets coming out on top; however, the Suns won Game 6 at America West, forcing a climatic Game 7 in Houston. The Rockets took that game and were on their way to the WCF where they would play the Utah Jazz (and win 4 games to 1).

In the 1994-95 season, the Rockets were decimated by injuries and also made the bold and daring move of trading their power forward, Otis Thorpe, to Portland for Clyde Drexler on Valentine's Day. The Rockets actually had a losing record once Clyde joined their team (it was like 17-18 in the 35 games that he played.) Also, not only did the team lose their starting PF in the trade but the deal effectively ended Vernon Maxwell's tenure with the Rockets as the fiery and temperamental 2 guard barely even played in the playoffs. Despite all the injuries and drama, the Rockets clawed their way to 47 wins but that would only be good for the #6 seed in the Western Conference. After coming back from a 2-1 deficit in the first round to shock the 60 win Utah Jazz (winning the series 3-2), the Rockets for the 2nd straight year had to play the Phoenix Suns in the 2nd round. The Suns who were well-rested had little trouble in blowing the Rockets out at home in Games 1 and 2. One of those games (I think it was Game 1) was the infamous Jake O'Donnell game. Considered to be one of the best referees in the NBA, Jake O'Donnell ejected Clyde Drexler late in the game and never really gave a satisfactory reason for his ejection. Rumours floated that O'Donnell had always had a grudge against Drexler and he ejected him out of spite. Whatever the reason was, it was considered heinous enough by David Stern that O'Donnell would NEVER referee another NBA game ever again. The Rockets won Game 3 in Houston but dropped Game 4 at home when they allowed the Suns to make a tremendous 2nd half comeback. Down 3 games to 1 and going to Phoenix, Charles Barkley, the Suns loquacious all-star forward, said that there was no way that the Rockets would come back and win the series. With Drexler having a mild case of the flu and having an IV in him before the game, the Rockets were able to somehow win in Phoenix and in overtime (Drexler scored like 6 points, all from the free throw line but just him being out there inspired the Rockets to win). Game 6 was in Houston and the Rockets were able to pull away in the 2nd half to win and tie the series at 3 games apiece. With Game 7 in Phoenix, could the Rockets do the unthinkable and actually win a Game 7 on the road? Game 7 was tight and close throughout the game but it wasn't until Mario Elie hit a 3 pointer in the corner with under 3 seconds left to go in the game (the famous "kiss of death" shot) that the game would be decided. Elie's shot would help the Rockets win by 1 point and take the series 4 games to 3. For the 2nd straight year, the Rockets eliminated the Suns in the 2nd round and this time would play the Spurs and David Robinson in the WCF. Losing to the Rockets for a 2nd straight year would take a toll on the Suns - they would flounder in the '96 season and get eliminated in the first round. Then after the season was over, they did the unthinkable and traded Barkley to all teams...the Rockets for multiple players including Robert Horry and Sam Cassell.

Whew, so with that being said, which series do you think was the better series against the Suns - '94 (lose the first 2 games at home but still win in 7) or the '95 one (down 3-1 and win the last 3 games in a row, including 2 in Phoenix)? I think most people will go with the '95 one mainly because we had to win 2 games in Phoenix, including Game 7 and it had the kiss of death shot of Mario Elie's PLUS the O'Donnell incident and Clyde playing practically on an IV in Game 5. I am going with the '95 one over '94; however, the '94 one really helped us, IMO, win it all because it was our toughest series - even tougher than the actual Finals against the Knicks.

2. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

I think the 95 series was better

3. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Man, that's like choosing which of your kids is better. I'll say 95.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The 1994 series made Clutch City.

1995 would have never happened without 1994.

5. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

WOW...that's tough! I'd have to say the 95 team. I never thought we could come back from 3-1 especially with game 7 on the road. At least in 94, after losing the first 2 at home, (how embarassing), we at least had game 7 at home. Not too many teams come back from 3-1 especially playing game 7 on the road. Now that's very special and not too many people realize that.

6. ThaShark316_28

Remember when Barkley was faking like he was hurt in the game 7 @ home in 94? Then he shoved Hakeem on that clinching 3 point play late in the 4th...classic, yet hilarious stuff...

95 was more thrilling, but 94 paved the way.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Was 1995 when we lost that 20 point lead in the fourth at home with Barkley hitting the nail in the coffin three? Or was that 1994?

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

From my standpoint, nothing can replace the incredible drama of going from Choke City to Clutch City in 1994. I still haven't gotten over blowing the first two home games to Phoenix, especially the 20-point lead in game 2 with 10 minutes left. My heart was broken as the Rockets season looked like it was going down in flames. The picture of Charles Barkley hugging Danny Ainge after the game is still fresh.

After the Sonics lost to the Nuggets, I celebrated prematurely because I couldn't think of any team that could beat the Rockets in a 7-games series. After game 2 was over, I've never trusted the Rockets since. Every time things look good (like 2-0 against the Mavs in 2005), I keep my emotions in check because of game 2 against the Suns in 1994.

1995 had some good drama with the Rockets getting smoked the first 2 games, Clyde getting tossed and Mario's Kiss of Death shot in game 7 to put the Rockets up by 3 after KJ missed a FT.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

But 1995 had crazy drama as well. That game 5 and game 7 were both classics.

10. ThaShark316_28

Only bad thing was I never got to see game 5...cuz i was 9 and had to sleep long before the game ended...sad...wish someone had that game on DVD or something so i could watch it.

11. huflungpu

huflungpu Member

Remember in 1995 how Charles Barkley was making fun of the Rockets and about how "Carl herrera can try all he wants but he's not getting bigger?" I don't think Herrera actually played that series, but our two headed Chilcutt/Chucky Brown tandem took him down, with a little help from a certain 3 pointer...

12. Chamillionaire

the series when we were down 3-1 and came back, the kiss of death, we beat them as a team. it was destiny, that was a good PHX team we beat. some of you might have forgotten.

13. GloryDays 94-95

1995 GM 5 was just as much of a classic as GM 7. We were losing late in the 4th in PHX when Horry hit a 3 and was fouled....ahhh the glory days. Remember GM 6 when Chucky hit that three in the laugher? And lets not speak on GM 7... But did you peep when Ainge hit Elie in the head with the ball?

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

95 had more drama to it the dact that in game 1 Clyde had his early ejection. Blowing a big game 4 on our floor for some strange reason the NBA had the teams play on back to back nights. Barkley consistant trash talking during the seires stating don't ask me about no Chucky Brwon. Him staing before the series who's gonna hold me Pete Chillcutt. Robert Horry great play in the series one game getting 17 rebounds. The ending of game 7 with an unlikely player Mario Elie hitting the big 3. Also Kevin Johnson who hadn't miss a free throw the entire post season misses 2 late in that game. The silence of the Pheonix crowd as the buzzed ticked. I have to go with 95 for pure drama.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The culmination of all the losing in Houston history was slapped on the Rockets as Choke City.

Maxwell went crazy in game 3, thus changed the space time continuum and the world.

We will never forget.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

that 94 PHX team was the defending Western Conference Champions.

some of you have forgotten.

17. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

In terms of excitement I'll go with the 1995 series. We were down 1-3 and Charles Barkley pretty much pulled a T-Mac saying he's going to the Western Conference Finals or something like that saying leave your golf clubs here because you aren't going back something along those lines, hard to remember.

Anyways, That kiss of death was a memorable moment. However, in terms of greatness I might have to go with 94, simply because we overthrew the champions of the Western Conference. Suns represented the Finals in 93 for the West.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

don't worry folks, I'm not going Manny Rameriz on you and not tell you the full story. I'll go Nolan Ryan with a roid free fast ball.

The story of CLUTCH CITY started like this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G67Nm6OpgBw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G67Nm6OpgBw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

95 was awesome. I remember AC Green saying there's no way we could beat them three games in a row. Chuck with his butt kicking business stuff. Chucky Brown and Horry guarding Barkley. Barkley missing free throws at the end of game five. Phoenix busting out to a big lead in game 7 and we slowly reeled them in and caught them at the end. The pre-game interview before game 5 with Worrell and Dream... Bill asks Dream if he thinks we can win. Dream says "of course, that's why we're here" and they both bust out laughing. Game 5 when Mario screamed at Kenny at the top of his lungs to shoot the f'n ball because Kenny kept passing up open shots. Horry catching that airball in game 5 OT and tossing it in and getting fouled by Barkley. Ridiculous...

20. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I'm going with 95. That Game 7 was legendary. Hakeem was slightly off with his shot and it was Drexler and Cassell who carried the Rockets and reeled in that big Phoenix lead despite KJ going postal all over Kenny Smith. And Mario shut the gates with that epic three that is part of Rockets lore. It was a team of destiny.