1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which signing will prove to be the worst of the 2014 offseason?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Aug 26, 2014.

?

Which signing will prove to be the worst of the 2014 offseason?

1. Chandler Parsons

119 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Avery Bradley

7 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Gordon Hayward

57 vote(s)
    20.1%
  4. Chris Bosh

60 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Marvin Williams

6 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Kyrie Irving

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  7. Jason Kidd

26 vote(s)
    9.2%
  8. Other (specify)

8 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

paying someone max money for a player that probably won't make an all star team is pretty ridiculous.

2. Raven

Raven Member

Dallas signed Parsons out of desperation, but the Heat extending Bosh for the max makes no sense other than wanting to use him to recruit in 2016.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a ridiculous contract.

Unfortunately, there are many that won't get this as the Mavericks will score a lot and give up even more. CP's numbers will be inflated and that combined with his appealing qualities will play well in Pomona... It wouldn't surprise me at all if he DOES make a couple of "All Star" games. He still is overrated and the personal vendetta that Cuban has will just hurt his team longterm. Sure, Dirk took less. They're not going anywhere though, again...as they can't stop anybody.

4. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I'm torn between Parsons, Bosh and Kidd.

Parsons - worst contract $$ per year wise, but at least it's 3 years since Chandler will likely pick up the 3rd year option. I couldn't agree with Morey more....Daryl Morey told SportsTalk 790 in Houston on Monday. "That structure of that [contract] is literally one of the most untradable structures that I've ever seen."

Bosh - worst contract when it comes to overall $$, and is definitely going to hamper his team and leave them stuck in mediocrity for 5 years.

Kidd - I just don't see the point in giving up assets in order to get what seems to be a pretty crappy coach. Especially for a team that is likely going nowhere now, or in the future.

In the end, I have to go with Parsons. The salary cap may rise, which would lessen the blow of the Bosh contract, and at least Bosh has also made multiple all nba and all star teams. Parsons? none of the above. The Kidd trade/signing just seemed pointless all around. I see it has giving up assets to make your team worse!

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think Hayward is the worst, given the needs of that team and his overall impact, which I expect to be waaaay less than Bosh, even at Bosh's age. At least Bosh can shoot and play D.

But I'm not sure Hayward is as much about winning as he might be the face of the franchise in Utah or some such.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

as long as LA, Griffin, AD, Howard, KD are playing, those are pretty much the locks as front court players for the all star game imo

7. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Obviously Parsons and Hayward are going to be 2 of the most overpaid players in the NBA, but I voted other because I don't think the Knicks will win with Melo. Would've been a better choice to let him go and do a sign n trade for McBuckets and other assets.

8. afk

afk Member

Where is all of the above?

9. CertifiedTroll

Wait was the amazing shooting of Gordon Hayward sarcasm? 41 and 30 sucks

10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Have you not heard how untradeable the contract is? lol

11. Raven

Raven Member

Mavs better hope Parsons clicks with Dirk, because they are boned if he doesn't.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The answer is obviously Parsons due to the untradeability of the deal, as well as the skills that Parsons does (and doesn't) bring to the table. While Bosh's deal is completely ludicrous, and it was last-second desperation that caused Pat Riley to go temporarily insane, I have a feeling they'll still be able to move Bosh in a trade in a season or two if need be.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

WTF I understand a lot of CFers have some salt regarding CP3 (it's not his fault, is he supposed to turn down MAX money with a trade kicker and player option? C'mon guys be reasonable here :rolleyes:), CP is not the worst move of the offseason. That would go to Hayward making the same amount while being 70% of the player Parsons is. It makes no sense that so many people here are talking about Parsons while not mentioning Hayward.

Runner up would be Chris Bosh, yes Parsons is untradable but he's also only making 15M, Bosh makes 2x that for the entire 5 years. Who the hell has that kind of cap space lying around and why will you use it on Bosh? The only guys I know who are worth that amount would be KD and LBJ, and Bosh is coming off a playoff season he got owned by Tim DUncan and Splitter. It's one of the worst contracts in th league by far, I'd rather have Parsons at 15M than Bosh at 30.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bosh has earned his money. he has accolades under his belt. Parsons does not. you're trying to jusitfy CP not turning down max money so at the same time why should Bosh do the same then? you can't take away the sucess Bosh has earned for himself up to this point. hes earned his way in this league

15. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

because he's a huge flopper... errr

16. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

yes CertifiedTroll, it's sarcasm :rolleyes:

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

My justification was for Parsons taking the money was the only logical thing for him to do, so all the "dude's a dbag" and calling him a traitor comments are unjustified, it has nothign to do with his play.

Obv no one can take the success from Bosh however you don't pay a guy 5 year 30/per for his previous success, you pay him for his future performance. CP is indeed overpaid but if he plays defense like we all know he is capable of that 15M doesn't seem like a bad deal. On the other hand even if Bosh reverts to his 20-10 glory days he is still not worth 30M, and unlike CP Bosh is what, 30 and coming off a down year? And he'll be 35 when his contract ends fyi Kobe took care of his body the most and at 36 he's like a grandpa out there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is in the worst case if CP plays at the level he played in Houston he'll be overpaid by ~5M per year. If Bosh plays like he did in Raptors he'll be worth 20M...and he'll still be overpaid by 10M.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

but the reality is in the NBA previous success does come into play as far as contracts, especially if you're a star. paying for future performance comes into play when you're young yes but once established in the league and as long as you maintain that level, that player will continue to get paid at star level. And btw was bosh's contract 5/$118 mil?

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dude, Bosh's salary is $20,644,400, not $30m. You're off by $10m. He's getting paid max. The Max is $20m for 10yr vets.

Want to restate your opinion about Bosh, now. :)

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

chandler parsons is one of the best signings this offseason.

for anyone that has any sort of nba gm iq, getting one of the up and coming small forwards to pair with dirk nowitzki for a combined ~$23 million a year for the next 3 years is tremendous.