1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Rockets' trade held the most promise?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Turbo, Jun 29, 2004.

?

Which Rockets' trade was most promising?

1. Thorpe/pick <-> Drexler/Murray

36 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. Rogers <-> Pippen

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Cassell/Horry/Brown/Bryant <-> Barkley

13 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. Harrington/Dickenson/Price/Carr <-> Francis

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  5. Pippen <-> Cato/Williams/Shaw/Gray

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  6. Jefferson/Collins/Armstrong <-> Griffin

8 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Anderson <-> Rice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Francis/Mobley/Cato <-> McGrady/Howard/Lue/Gaines

51 vote(s)
    45.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Please vote for the trade that you were most hyped about when it happened, not necessarily the best trade in terms of the results.

I've monitored this board for every trade posted except the Drexler trade and for each one there was initial hope and excitement. Here are some of my thoughts:
    • When Pippen came aboard many on this board (including myself, at the time) were trumpeting his virtues and talk of upcoming championships soon followed.
    • When word of the Francis trade began to circulate on this board, I literally jumped up and down, as the potential seemed unreal.
    • When we got Barkley, ClutchFans experienced its birth, and even though there wasn't the BBS like we know it back in those days, we were fully expecting to compete with MJ's Bulls for the title.
    • The potential of Eddie Griffin at the time of his trade to the Rocks had me betting on the future of a Francis-Griffin combo.
    • This McGrady-Francis trade brings mixed emotion but plenty of optimism for the future of the organization and I am salivating over the thought of what Yao & McGrady can do together.

So, I am curious to survey the BBS and determine what trade was most promising for you all, happy polling. . .

</i>-Turbo</i>

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i would probaby say the drexler trade because it would re-unite two hometown legends. sure they only spent a year or two in their prime and after his knee surgeries hakeem really detiorated but i think had hakeem never had those surgeries he could have had some better years and the rockets may have still been able to make the finals with the core of dream and clyde.

the mcgrady trade though is the best long term potential trade, the drexler short term (short term being <4 years)

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

You forgot about Joe Barry Carroll and Sleepy Floyd to the Rockets for Ralph Sampson and Steve Harris.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

hey joebarelycares, don'y you agree that Carroll was one heck of a player. Still doesn't get the proper appreciation he deserves. Without a doubt a solid nba career

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I can't decide if I was more excited about Pippen, Francis, Barkley, or McGrady, so I voted for all of them...

I think I spent the longest time anticipating the Barkley trade, though, so I guess that's the right answer.

6. Just B

Just B Member

The Pippen trade I'd say had the most promise because of Pippen's impressive track record, so I voted for that.

I do think that the Francis trade was the most one sided (in our favor) as far as getting more than we gave up.

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Each of those trades were amazing. This one ranks above them for a couple of reasons.

First, T-Mac has already shown what kind of player he is. This is not based on the potential of what he could be. (at least not as much as with Francis and Griffen)

Second, the age of T-Mac and Yao make this truly exciting for the fact of how many years they could play together.

Finally, all the times we ever fantasized about having Jordan and the Dream on a team. This is as close as we will ever come.

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I think the Tmac trade because he is an established top 5 star, yet he is so freaking young. This trade holds the most promise (as the thread is titled) because he and Yao have already achieved much, but are so young and clearly have not peaked. Rarely is promise backed by so much performance at a young age.