1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Rockets player past or present have been loyal to the City of Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by us_marine007, Jul 21, 2008.

?

Which Rockets player past or present have been loyal to the City of Houston?

1. Hakeem Olajuwon

135 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Clyde Drexler

86 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Steve Francis

104 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Yao Ming

135 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Calvin Murphy

96 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Tracy McGrady

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. Rudy Tomjanovich

73 vote(s)
    11.3%
  8. Other

8 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. us_marine007

us_marine007 Member

Im just curious about what you guys think... My cousin and I had a discussion about which players have been loyal to this city the most... I wanted to say Hakeem... but then Steve Francis came in to mind.. I eventually settled on Steve and my cousin settled on Calvin Murphy.. What do you guys think?

2. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I picked other cause I thought of John Lucas. Out of the players listed I would say Glide or Francis.

3. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Man i think it was between Steve Francis and Clyde.Cuz Francis was traded from here and he still shose to come back,this isnt even his home town,And Drexler well his are broadcaster and has been with Rockets pretty much every game,I cant pick Hakeem cuz he did want a trade and finished his career with Toronto,but other than that his been pretty loyal. :D

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, I think three or four of those people have proved extremely loyal to the Rockets. But if I have to choose one, I have to go with Clyde.

1. He's a native Houstonian.
    2. He attended U of H.
    3. He returned to Houston to finish his career with the Rockets.
    4. He is still with the Rockets organization.

However, Hakeem, Rudy, Calvin and Francis are all pretty loyal Houstonians at this point.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rudy T. He spent 33 years with the organization. The others have shown loyalty too,but Rudy stayed with Houston more than anyone else.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Absoulutely I give it to Calvin Murphy. He has always been loyal to Houston and if it wasn't for that stupid rape scandal he would still be with Bill behind the mike. He will always be a Houstonian in my eyes and one of the Greatest to put on a Rocket jersey.( He still does radio for ESPN also.)

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

correct!!

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

rudy T as a coach for sure. dude bleeds rocket red.

as a player, it has to be francis. his reaction of knowing he'll be traded from houston really hurt him and he hasn't been the same.

9. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

But doesnt Rudy T scout for the Lakers? ;)

10. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Before seeing the option, Clyde came to mind.

11. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

Francis and Rudy

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I knew someone would come up with that. :)

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the correct answer

14. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

I would have to say Hakeem, Drexler and T-mac

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hakeem demanded a trade. Then after his career he moved to Jordan. While he was here, he ran a wicked business operation, robbing everybody. Sorry, but Hakeem is about Hakeem. One of the greatest players of all time. But it was always Hakeem first, Houston second.

Clyde would be a good choice since he is from here but he spent most of his career in Portland.

Rudy T is an obvious choice. But he did leave the organization for the Lakers.

Francis? Obviously loves H-Town, went to Juco here, makes his home here. But he was traded.

Tracy? Never. He's here to win first and that is all. If Yao weren't here, Tracy would want to be traded.

Yao? He's loyal to China first.

Murphy? He lives and breathes Houston since he arrived in 1970. He'd still be with the Rox too if not for a stodgy owner who doesn't want a human breeding machine working for him (Calvin allegedly has 14 children by 9 different women).

Lucas? A great Houstonian with a huge heart who has seemingly overcome at least some of his own human deficiencies. Very inspirational.

Jury is still out essentially on Francis, Yao, and McGrady. I don't see Yao and McGrady staying in Houston after they retire. I can see Stevie staying. But Calvin, Clyde, and Lucas stayed. Clyde never left even when he was playing for Portland. I don't think Rudy lives here anymore. Or at least he doesn't live here full time. Great man though anyway.

I'd have to pick between Calvin, Clyde, and Lucas for greatest Houstonians to play for the Rox. And I guess Clyde would probably win since he was born and raised here. But you gotta like the other two guys too.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Uh,
    that WASN'T HIS Choice..See Turbo and Calvin

Read Rudy's book, "A Rocket at Heart"
    and then tell me who's the most loyal. its crystal clear.

17. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Did Rudy T's "nasaly'' voice stem from the Kermit Washington punch to his grill?

18. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

A wicked business operation and robbing everybody?? Hakeem is certainly not a selfish person and doesn't want all the star recognition at this point. Right now, he is living a peaceful and humble life.

Hakeem does love Houston but I would choose Francis and Clyde as most loyal to Houston.

19. Roxxx4life

Roxxx4life Member

I voted for Calvin Murphy... If not for his legal case, I think he still with the Rockets right now... Is there anyway the Rox can bring him back? Rockets games were more intertaining w/ Calvin Murphy and Bill Worrell

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Where's Gene Peterson and Foley?