1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Which potential first round opponents do the Rockets match up best with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tha_Dude, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

My vote is for the Clippers, because I think we have the mental edge on that team and also because they've lost a step, both Paul and Blake have been hurt.

I think Utah, OKC, Grizz, are all bad matchups for our team.

Caesar, Nivos, Jayzers_100 and 2 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not sure bout best matchup but Mavs would be ideal. Rivalry, Texas Tussle and sticking it to Cuban.

For Cap Jackarse alone.

3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

There's virtually no way that could possibly happen this year but I still fully support the idea of being able to clown stomp the Mavs again. A bit cruel, but as Clyde would say "I like it!".

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Nuggets>clippers>okc> memphis> jazz

#4 elmotsangtt, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Amel likes this.
  5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Utah is the only team that I agree is a tough matchup. I don't know what makes you think OKC is tough. The Grizzlies have size on us, but I don't think they can defend us in a 7-game series. If the regular season is any indication, we have the clear advantage against all those teams (again, except Utah).

... That said, my first pick is OKC. Yeah, we've played LAC well, and I definitely would expect us to beat them, but if Griffin and Paul get back in a groove before the playoffs, they could be trouble. Remember how hot that team started the season before they began to get obliterated by injuries.

Jayzers_100, DonKnock and DudeWah like this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

spot on, duder.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think we have a real chance to win against any team besides GSW. Grizz/Clips/OKC don't matter much I think we could handle all, Jazz/Spurs would be tough series but we could win.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. OTMax

OTMax Member

I would not take anyone lightly, but I'm hoping for OKC or Grizzlies. Tired of playing Cali teams with the late starts and Clippers is going to be a lot of hacking, FTs and whining. Rather avoid that.

Rox11, BigShasta, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  9. threepointshot3

OKC and Memphis second. Memphis is in decline mode so they would be my first choice, but it looks like we are playing OKC.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. jayfree

jayfree Member

I beg to differ. OKC would be an easier road. No need for paybacks from the Clips as they can get hot real fast.

But for MVP sake, I would prefer to have OKC finish 7th. We can take Memphis as the 6th seed.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  11. Rockets4Life13

I think the clippers are the best we can hope for. I think we lose to the spurs and to Utah in a series. I think we can beat Golden State without KD.

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

Just throwing this out there for the 2nd round opponent. We have never lost to the Spurs in 3 series with them... EVER!

Rockets vs. Spurs Playoff History

YEAR ROUND ROCKETS RECORD OPPONENT
    1980 First Round Houston 2 - 1 San Antonio Spurs
    1981 Semifinals Houston 4 - 3 San Antonio Spurs
    1995 Conference Finals Houston 4 - 2 San Antonio Spurs

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it really doesnt matter , what matters is how we play...

but it would be sweet to obliterate utah jazz..they hit a lot of lucky shots against usin rs ...it would be very hard for them to repeat that in playoffs

BigShasta likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I would be fine with playing Memphis or OKC, I'm not really worried about either team.

I think we're a bigger matchup problem for Memphis than Memphis is for us. They beat us in that 1st game in Memphis by going 13-26 from 3 which is uncharacteristic for them. In the 2nd matchup, we were up by like 17 points early in the 2nd half and choked it away while Tony Allen dropped 22 points on 8-10 shooting which is also uncharacteristic. We destroyed them in the final 2 matchups. They don't have a true offensive star which can make it difficult for them to keep up with us offensively.

OKC can destroy us on the boards, they have defenders like Roberson that can make life difficult for Harden, and they are the 2nd best team in the NBA in clutch time while the Rockets are below average. However, they are not good offensively. They have no spacing. Westbrook is an inefficient, high volume player. If the Rockets are hitting their threes at an above average rate then they should handle OKC. The Rockets would be trading 3's for 2's. There's no way that OKC could keep up with the Rockets if the Rockets are making around 15 threes a game.

The Clippers are the most difficult matchup of the 3 solely because they have by far the most talent in comparison to Memphis and OKC. Blake and CP3 are stars, and DJ is 1 of the best at his position. The Clippers can play at a level that the Grizzlies and Thunder just can't reach.

cmlmel77 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Utah is our worst matchup. They have long defenders everywhere, they challenge the 3, protect the rim, and slow down the pace. It's also very difficult to win in Utah.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

Any team in the first round will be a tough matchup, but if I had to pick one it would be the grizzlies.

I don't believe the grizzlies have enough offense to keep up with the rockets.

I would like to play OKC as well just so it would leave no doubt in the voters minds that harden is the true MVP.

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Take a look at some of the Nuggets game film recently. Jokic has become a problem down low.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Memphis is the best match-up lost likely. While Marc is still fantastic defensively and offensively he doesn't have that raw length and athleticism to stop us at the rim like Gobert does. Once you beat him to the rim he can't recover and destroy you. Contrary to belief our offense is predicated on getting to the rim not the 3 pt shot. We live and die by the 3 but getting to the rim is a bigger priority to us.

Defensively it's the best for us because they have so many mid range players. We gladly allow the mid-range attempts. While they will hit at a decent rate they just wouldn't be able to keep up with us if we are hitting because they do not shoot the 3 well at all.

A close second is okc in my opinion. Lock everyone down besides Russ and let him Chuck their way to a loss. You can cheat off Roberson if you decide to double Russ here and there.

Clippers is kinda random. B3cause they started the year and we're playing wow great. And then injuries and such and they haven't looked the same. But their 2 biggest stars are at our 2 weakest defensive spots of 1/4 or harden/anderson. Most likely we put bev and ariza on cp3 at different points and ariza on Blake sometimes but that leaves Harden on reddit and you don't want Harden chasing him all game and 2asting his energy or losing him because he's ball watching. So there is match-up problems that concern me with them.

Utah is an absolute match-up nightmare because of Gobert length and ability to recover once you beat him to the rim for the chase down block. They also guard and run you off the 3 pt line very very well while they shoot the ball very efficiently themselves.

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We need to keep that 3rd seed and pray OKC keeps 6. Much rather play SAS than GSW in round 2 if we get there.

Anyone think we are able to beat 56 wins? Its going to be tough.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I think the answer is OKC

PyroTex and DonKnock like this.