1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Which ONE player should the Rockets be targeting this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, May 10, 2005.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think that CD's first priority should be improving the team's defensive rebounding and find a reliable third scorer behind T-Mac and Yao. As much as people around here seem to love Swift and Chandler, we should keep in mind that the former is an underachiever and the latter is a pipedream.

The guy I think we should be looking at is Shareef Abdur Rahim. Reef's still quite young (28), and has a lot of quickness and athleticism. He's an excellent defensive rebounder and a very skilled offensive player. Reef also (reportedly) has very good character, a quality I think that we should be looking for in any offseason acquisition. While not a great defender, he's still better than Juwan and certainly would improve under JVG.

Shareef's tired of losing, and he's tired of the madness in Portland. I think we'd be able to get him for a very reasonable price, and I'd be willing to part with a 1st round pick to get him via sign and trade (face it, the chance of drafting a player who will ever be better than Reef at #24 is fairly slim... Though, come to think of it, we probably can't even trade this year's first rounder). I've wanted this guy since Chad Fraud rumored that we might get him for Glen Rice and Eddie a few years back.

Of course, SAR isn't the only guy out there. There are the aforementioned Swift and Chandler. There are free agents like Sprewell and Redd, and malcontents like Bonzi and DMiles. And then there's Jason Kidd...

A lot of people are putting out JKidd's name, but personally, I don't think that we should even bother. His contract is huge for any player, much less an aging PG with a bum knee, and to be honest, I don't think that we necessarily need a playmaker of his caliber.

We need a PG who can defend, bring the ball upcourt, get us into our sets quickly, and hit open shots or penetrate when given the opportunity. Nothing more. Jason Kidd would be a (very expensive) luxury that we really don't need.

But back to the original point of the thread: Who, specifically, do you think that the Rockets should be targeting this offseason?

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Cuttino Mobley.

Not sure how possible this is, or if he'll want to come back, but he helps us in so many ways that we need.

-Creating his own shot
    -Outside Shot
    -Ball Handling
    -Defense
    -Athleticism

He's a more consistent shooter than Wesley as well.

As far as PF, I'd much rather get the best we can in the draft and sign Donyell Marshal or somebody else fairly cheap for short term help. Shareef isn't bad, but will probably be too pricy.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Vince Carter, Hakeem(to train Yao), Kwame Brown, Cuttino, Michael Jordan, I will continue this later...

4. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Why Jordan?:confused: :confused: :confused:

He comes here to replace CD?:(

5. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Just say no to CAT!:(

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

No way Mobes returns with JVG here.

Can't say I'd want him back anyway after we've watched some smart ball for a while.

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I am so over dribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribbledribble

Sorry Cat

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Jason Kidd, Mobley, some good PF

9. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

I understand why some fans might not want Mobley, however, there is too much of a talent shortage in our backcourt, that we would have to strongly consider it if the situation present. Upgrading the backcourt is a higher priority for me than a PF. With regard to power forward, i believe the biggest priority there is a rebounder. Yao isn't dominating on the boards, and often loses position, therefore, any PF aquired must have a strong suit on the boards. In an ideal, you want a perimeter player who can be a 3rd option on offense, and a rebouding power forward.

However, at guard, a foursome of Wesley, Sura, James, and Barry isn't gonna get it done. When push comes to shove, i would still consider a sign and trade for mobley if possible.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Bobby Simmons. Yes, the Rockets need to address the power forward position, but another swingman wouldn't hurt either.

11. Panda

Panda Member

Get SAR or Bobby Simmons with the MLE. If not bring in D.Marshall(no long contract). Whatever they do with the MLE, they'd better use it to bring in a talented all around player who's an upgrade at his position. I'm tired of watching MM spend energy covering up the holes in the game of our specialty players.

12. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I second this. I never had any problem with Cat other than he didn't compliment Steve (too similar).

If the Rox sign Cat and draft a young rebounder, the sky's the limit.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't think that Cat wants to come back. Also, there are teams with money (like Denver) that need a 2-guard in the worst way. Surprisingly, when you look around the league, most teams are pretty set at PF, which leads me to think that maybe SAR could be had for cheap.

Also, after hearing Kings fans complain that Cat still doesn't swing the ball as much as he should, I'd be reluctant to add him to our offense. A guy like Antonio Daniels would be ideal at SG, I think; a mature, unselfish player with PG skills, and enough quickness/athleticism to match up with any backcourt player.

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Antonio Daniels, SAR, or Reef.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Marko Jaric

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I think that anything less than a Kevin Garnettt acquisition to be our PF won't guarantee us the championship...In fact, scratch that! We need KG AND Ron Artest, as well as Jason Kidd to guarantee us a championship.

With his new found wealth, Les Alexander better believe that we as fans won't settle for anything less than the following starting lineup:

Yao Ming
    Garnett
    Artest
    McGrady
    Kidd

MAKE IT HAPPEN CD/Les

:p

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

My reading is 100% like yours. SAR should be our #1 option. Gives us athleticism, 3rd scoring option, flexibility to go big/small, and is adequate enough rebouding and defensively to not hurt us on that end. Day one we offer a full MLE (6/40mil), and with a little cooperation from him and his agent he makes Portland sign and trade him to us (1st rounder, NY 2nd plus expiring contracts) or he walks for nada.

Chandler is a pipe dream, no way we are in play with only and MLE and him being restricted. Next choices are Swift (6 year MLE), DM (4 year MLE) or Reggie Evans (something like 4 years, 20-25 mil ideally structured where Seattle can't afford to match). SAR is my choice however.

If we do a sign and trade (otherwise we save our MLE for a PF unless all reasonable options are spent) I would be fine with a guy like Mobley with part of the MLE, but more like a 6'6"+ swingman would be better. I think we need another swingman (preferably again like 6'6" or taller) more than another PG--I think Sura/James is more solid than someone to be an alternate for Wesley/Barry and be a back-up 3.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you said one,but here's two
    Eric Williams
    Donny Marshall

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Ron Artest.'

He fills the need for a 3rd scorer. And would make Houstons defense the best in the league. '
    '
    If hes available they got to try.

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I agree that SAR should be #1 priority.

I would prefer getting him in a sign and trade if possible and then using the MLE on an athletic swingman if one could be had for just the MLE.

The rockets biggest need is pf, and SAR is the best, most reliable out there. He doesn't provide amazing d, but this is a guy who used to put up 20 and 10 on a consistant basis. I think he would be a terrific third option on this team and help open up the lanes for Yao, as well as snag up them rebounds.

If possible, I'd swing Juwan + expiring contract(s) + next years 1st rounder for SAR.