1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which historically winning team's performance would most disappoint a fan?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Jun 20, 2016.

?

Which historically winning team's performance would most disappoint a fan?

1. 2001 Seattle Mariners

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. 2007 New England Patriots

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. 2016 Golden State Warriors

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Many teams have had historic winning seasons only to falter in the playoffs. Three come to mind.

1. 2001 Mariners: 116-56 lost in 5 games of ALCS
    2. 2007 Patriots : 16-0 lost in Superbowl
    3. 2016 Warriors: 73-9 lost in 7 games of Finals

Imagine you are a fan of all three teams. Which of the three would you find most disappointing?

In answering this question, you should be at least a casual fan of all three sports. Also you can only take into account that team's history up to that year. For example, you can't take into account anything that happened to the Mariners after the 2001 season, etc.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My vote is for the Mariners, the fanbases of the other 2 were largely bandwagoners by those points. That kind of thing affects real fans a lot more than bandwagoners.

3. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Well, then the question is intended to be framed from the POV of someone who was a "real" fan of each of the three teams and not from the POV of an extremely casual fan then.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Mariners fans were the only ones who hadn't experienced a recent title

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Gotcha, well when it comes to the Warriors, there's the casual bandwagoners that became fans 2 years ago, and the die hard life long fans that became fans of the team 3 years ago so since I'm not sure there is a sufficient sample of what we'd all agree are "real" fans, they are out.

I think the Pats could give the Mariners a run for their money but given that they already won recent Super Bowls, I don't think it was as big a hit as the Mariners that never won anything in franchise history. I think we should also take into account that 2001 was the last time the Mariners even made the playoffs and they only have 4 playoff appearances in franchise history.

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Seatle. Warriors and Patriots losses would suck, but I wouldn't be entirely disappointed. They won championships within the past 5 seasons, and both seemed to have a solid future still in tact. Seattle on the other hand... didn't even make the world series and lost convincingly..

Football is single elimination. Basketball the Warriors couldn't win 1 in 3 games in the finals. Seattle didn't even make the championship game.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think Warriors because they were up 3-1, had home court, will always think they would have won easily if not for Green suspension and were trained by the media that they were the greatest ever and no 2016 teams had a chance against them. Plus, not only Curry came no where close to the real MVP, he didn't even outperform Irving.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The warriors.

The Patriots lost on a fluke catch. Any given Sunday. In baseball, records don't matter once you get to the playoffs. It is who gets hot. In basketball, upsets are very hard because of the 7 games. I think the Mavs team that lost to Golden State in the first round is the worst of them all. That was a crazy upset. They won 67 games.

9. what

what Member

Why no Phi Slamma Jamma? I still haven't got over that ****. At least it was Jimmy V that beat us. Higher Power at work.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't know, but as person who is not a fan of either team, GSW lost was the most delicious to watch. Bogus getting injured was a nice addition since he's a dirty player. The only thing better would have been Green getting injured in game 7 as GSW crashes out. But I'll take what I can get.

Not a fan of LerBon and would be fine he had lost as well, but the more I watch, the more I hate Green than LerBon.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

I think it's got to be the Patriots because they didn't just lose a championship, they lost a chance at perfection.