1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Which guy to play with the CORE FOUR?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ultramagnus, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

We already know we have:

1. a great back court duo: Lin-Harden (scoring, penetrating, playmaking, getting into passing lanes, forcing turnovers, etc.)
    2. solid supporting cast of:
    a. great all around forward (who's ceiling is triple double territory): Parsons
    b. great defensive big man (who can make plays at the rim): Asik

the 5th guy to play is the question:

I think Marcus Morris was started because he could camp out on the 3 pt line and nail the kick out if ever, but he was clearly deficient and more so in other areas.

D-Mo could probably fill this role over time, I just hope he gets the playing time to grow into it.

Greg Smith could actually make sense to get minutes along the core four. Lin-Harden-Parsons could do very well finding Asik or Smith free to finish near the basket a lot. Plus we'll probably get a lot of rebounds definitely and probably force more scorers out of the paint with Smith and Asik patrolling the paint.

Delfino looked good with the core four as well. Although that would push Parsons to the big forward which he could probably do in a pinch only.

Right now, I think the best options are either D-Mo or Terrence Jones, they've got to get the minutes to gain the experience and develop. I don't think PPat will cut it.

From outside the team/future free agents/trade targets, I don't think Josh Smith is worth what he will cost, plus his offensive talent is limited, he's undersized, and he can't be counted on to make the right offensive play.

Best probably would be LaMarcus Aldridge good offensive game, perfect to pair with Asik.

Love has the rebounding, outlet pass and long range but he's injury prone. We don't want a key piece getting injured a lot anymore.

Hopefully one of the guys we already have just develops and grows into the 5th guy. And hopefully that happens soon.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think Marcus Morris started because he was the only power forward available who wasn't a rookie. I can only assume that McHale believes, as many coaches do, that you can't simply hand minutes to a rookie right off the bat, because then they stop working hard to earn minutes. Marcus Morris has been working to earn minutes for more than a year, and even went to the D-league without a fuss. If he didn't get minutes now, ahead of two guys with virtually no experience, then there's the chance he'd become totally disillusioned and get all sullen and resentful. The (even-)younger guys pick up on that and discipline can break down.

Those are the tricky politics of running a basketball team. Sooner rather than later, some of our forwards are just gonna have to go. To the D-league first, probably, but someone (or two someones) will have to be traded so we don't have this conversation again.

3 people like this.
  3. bongman

bongman Member

I guess you forgot that Parsons beat Buddinger for that starting spot even though he was a rookie and was drafted late. Remember who the coach was last year?

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Sure, I remember. But do you remember who started the first game of the season at the 3 last year? Hint: It wasn't Parsons.

At least one of our rookie PFs will probably get a shot with the big team this year. I don't foresee Morris continuing to get big minutes, but he's earned a shot, too, moreso than the rookies have so far. Just like Budinger had earned his starting spot last year, before Parsons won it from him.

My point was, Morris was started because he had the most experience, and I don't think McHale was ready to throw Donuts or Jones out there to start when they have yet to play a single minute in the NBA. Not even Yao started his first game as a rookie.

5. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

T-Jones >>> D-Mo

D-Mo is too soft and not ready to play in the NBA.

6. onreego

onreego Member

Yeah, D-Mo is soft. For the center position. He's a pf and shouldn't be thrown in there to battle against guys who weigh 50-100 pounds more than him.

I think the starting pf position, while Patterson is out, should be Tjones with Motie backing him up. Marcus can get spot minutes at the 3 behind Chandler while Delfino gets minutes at the 3 but primarily backs up Harden. The main issue here is who relieves Lin because jeezus does Douglas suck donkey balls.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

t.jones over parsons, i know everyone here is in love with chandler and get lost in his eyes.. but jones ceiling is higher than parsons.. i hate the idea of parsons being part of "the core four"..

8. kinein

kinein Member

Delfino as of right now.

9. Arthurprescott2

Morey likes Delfino in there. for his experience and bball IQ. Ostensibly, overall high bball iq in that group of 5.

10. maizer

maizer Member

At this point barring a huge move, wouldn't a lockdown perimeter defender help the most at a relatively low cost? Certain Pistons were looking like Reggie Miller last night.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Parsons is many things Jones will never be. The biggest thing is that he is quick enough and tall enough to guard LBJ, KD and Kobe. End of discussion.

12. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

Morris started because Mchale has a boner for him like he did for Flynn last year. Mchale is just a horrible judge of talent

1 person likes this.
  13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Parsons with triple double ceiling, good luck with that one.

Patterson should start. Give all the other guys 20-25 minutes a night combined to develop.

As for the future.... all of this will change. I bet you have 2-3 new starters next year. 1 free agent, and 1 or 2 from trades or draft.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Where do you people come from? More stupid statements from people with absolutely no understanding of the Rockets or basketball. Lesson 1: The coach never picks the players, the front office does. Morey picks the talent, McHale can choose to play the talent. Just think of all those minutes Flynn played last year. Understand?????

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Mchale didn't even play him last year, why don't you educate yourself about Rockets' basketball before you start spewing stuff out of your ass.;)

16. YaosDirtyStache

I was shocked until I saw youre a 2012 member.

Go back to Linsanity.com until you learn2rockets.

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I don't think we have a core of 4. We have a core of 1: James Harden.

I like Lin and Asik. They are good players, but they aren't among the elite of their position - maybe they'll get there, but until then I wouldn't quite consider them core pieces.

Parsons is 24 already. He's a very good role player and probably will continue to improve, but I don't think his ceiling is all that high.

Jones has looked good in summer-league and pre-season, but I don't think he's the long term solution as a starter. I'm not as high on him as other, though. D-Mo probably has the highest upside of our young PFs, but he's at least a year away from playing starter minutes. Patterson is solid, but solid won't cut it - not for this team anyway. White has long ways to go and shouldn't see playing time anytime soon.

I don't think we have the assets/pieces to trade for either Aldridge or Love as is.

For now, I'd start Patterson, with the hopes some contender is looking for another big at the deadline.
    I would give Jones and D-Mo the proper time to develop and let them play through their mistakes, but I would want them to earn their minutes (mainly based on effort and learning curve).
    I'd also play some small ball with Delfino and Parsons as the forwards depening on the matchup and how Jones and D-Mo are performing.

Be patient. This team is young and not a great PF away from contending, anyway. It will take at least another year for the Rockets to reach contender status. Harden was the first step. Acquiring another elite player will be the next. Then you need to make the pieces fit and build a bench. Just enjoy the ride. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

already been established in this forum that budinger was adelman's pick and royce was mchale's.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't think that he was suggesting TJones as SF. Rather he wanted him as part of the "Core 4" and then the question would be asked "who could play at SF with these guys"

I agree that Parsons is a great defender, great hustle guy, and great fit right now. Would hate to become so myopically focused on building around him though!!

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I haven't heard that Royce was McHale's pick. It's interesting if that's true. I've often wondered about the decision making process when making draft picks and making trades. Even those people that don't like McHale would have to concede that he has a lot of experience in the NBA. It seems like Morey would at least consult McHale would making important personnel decisions.