1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which great games were you there for?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by weslinder, Aug 16, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Inspired by the other thread. Great Astros games in other cities are there in case anyone did see them. If you were at another memorable game, feel free to add it, I only had spots for 10.

2. msn

msn Member

I heard all of the last six on the radio. :D

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I was at the game when Barry Bonds hit like #77, last game at home versus SF in the year that BB broke the record. BB was not fooled by Wilfredo Rodriguez's belt high, center of the plate, 95 mph with no movement fastball.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't know if it's "great" but I was at the game that Dierker had his stroke.

I was also at the game with what I think was Derek Bell's only career grand slam, a mammoth 326 foot shot down the right field line of The Dome. If the A/C weren't working, I'm pretty sure that ball would have only made it to the warning track...

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I was 16 and skipped school to see Mike Scott’s no hitter.

6. weslinder

Who voted for all of them? Were you really there? If not, you poll sabotager, you! :mad:

Seriously, Among those listed, I was at the Jeff Kent game. Last year, I was at the game where Luke Scott hit for the cycle, and his home run landed about 3 rows and ten seats away from me.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You and about 450,000 other Astros fans. I don't think I've met a fan who's said they weren't at that game.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wasn't there. Of course, I was only 11 at the time. It was too far of a bike ride from The Woodlands.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

In 86 I was at that game, the all-star game and a couple of the playoff games (at least one) but not the last one.

and yes someone complained that we were standing during the last inning of the no hitter.

10. right1

right1 Member

I was at Nolan Ryan's 5th no-hitter. I was six. My grandmother had season tickets for 25 years, so I spent a lot time in the Dome. Lots of good memories.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i wasn't. my b-day is september 22 and i asked for tickets to that game as my present that year (with the added bonus of being able to skip out of school since it was an afternoon game). my parents agreed and we went to foley's to buy tickets some time in august... at the last possible instant, standing at the ticket window, my mom said, "let's wait and see what you schedule is going to be" (i was going to be a freshman in high school).

sure the **** enough, k-level biology took a giant crap on my head and i posted a D at mid-terms, which led to my parents canceling plans for me to miss school and attend the game. as i watched scott wrap it up at tennis pratice, i turned to mom - in front of everybody - and said, "i hope you're happy; you ruined my life!"

and i still feel that way, 21 years later..... b****.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dude. We have the same birthday.

13. weslinder

Speaking of birthday stories. My birthday is September 8. DK's no-hitter was on my 12th birthday. (Steroid McGwire's 62nd was on my 17th birthday.) My Grandparents were having a party for me. One of my cousins showed up late and told us that DK was throwing a no-hitter. We all ran to my Grandfather's bedroom and turned on the game and watched the end of it. I met DK briefly that winter at one of the offseason events, and he listened to the story. Nicest big leaguer ever.

14. Poloshirtbandit

I went to the game where he came back.

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, but now you know the difference between mitosis and meiosis, and THAT lasts a lifetime...

16. Poloshirtbandit

Wasn't it a seizure btw?

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The two most memorable games for me were both playoff games in Atlanta. One we lost the other we won.

The one we won was game one of the 2004 NLDS. I got to see the Astros win, which rarely happens when I watch them in person. I got to see Roger Clemens win the game, and the offense was impressive putting up 9 runs.

The one we lost was in the 1999 NLDS during game 2. It was memorable because Kevin Milwood threw a one-hitter against us. That one hit was homer to right field by Ken Caminiti. First playoff game I ever saw.

18. Little_Scott

Little_Scott Member

I was at DK's no-hitter. My dad has had season tickets since the 70s. I was 9 at the time. The Dome felt empty, for the most part, but it was still pretty electric come the 9th that night. We moved up to get closer seats. I don't think that is something I will ever experience again.
    First game in Enron was cool. Still have one of those "Enron Field" balls they handed out that night.
    Was also at Game 3 of World Series, first ever in the state of Texas, let alone Houston. Still bothers me that we were forced to keep the roof open in that series. It got chilly by the time the game went into extras, if not sooner. Sadly, I don't think I've been to a playoff game the Astros have won...

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

seriously?!??!!! when's yours?

20. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

My college roommate was actually in Yankee Stadium when the Astros no-hit the Yanks using 6 pitchers. Him, his dad and brother drove across the country that summer and visited ballparks along the east coast. He even got Billy Wagner's autograph before that game (Wagner was the one that closed the no-hitter). He said it was an awesome experience to see how disappointed Yankee fans were to be no-hit by the Stros.

#20 King of 40 Acres, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007