1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which great bands of the 70's could be successful today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

It is good to hear from you Deckard.

Your link made me think of some similar stories about the linkages between the various musical acts decades ago. Both are long reads, but were interesting to me.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/eric-burdon-the-death-of-hendrix-was-the-end-of-the-parade

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/aug/08/jimi-hendrix-40th-anniversary-death

I haven't heard Weather Report mentioned in years.

Did anybody mention the Doors?

mikol13 and Torn n Frayed like this.
  2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i think the OP mentioned that 70's bands starting out today with their songs from the 70's?

i'd say a ton of the classic rock would still be relevant.

zeppelin coming out with "IV" in 2018....would still rock everyones faces off and people would gobble it up.

as would stones, sabbath, etc. imo

now if the question were if they were around and creating new content that's completely different. no one has no direction which way the bands would go.

the other thing totally changing the game is the way music is being consumed. record sales wouldn't be nearly as great...and i'd imagine download sales wouldn't be great either. mainly because piracy and subscription services like spotify...

i'm sure the numbers for how many times played and radio time would still be pretty damn impressive

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Mango?? OMG - I never thought I see another post from you! Great to know that you are still around.

Deckard likes this.
  4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

5. TheFreak

There’s (or was) a great documentary on Amazon about them.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw the Doors at the Coliseum in July of 1968. They aren't mentioned in the thumbnail of the poster below (wish I could post a larger one), but The Moving Sidewalks opened, Billy Gibbons old band, and were terrific. I've always felt that they were so good that the Doors responded to them and raised their game. Just a great concert.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the links, Mango. I saw Hendrix early the same year at the Music Hall, a vastly better venue. You had to get close to really enjoy the sound quality (or lack there of) at the Coliseum (which I almost always managed). I saw the Animals at the same venue in October of 1967, the original group (also saw Eric Burdon and War). Again, good to see you, Mango. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mikol13 and GIGO like this.
  7. TheFreak

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is from December 11, 1969. I went to this at the Music Hall with a chick and several friends. Talk about a great concert! When I mention multiple bands at a concert being more the norm back in the day, this is a good example. Probably not the best example, though, because all 3 groups were huge at the time. It's why they got away with charging $6.50 a ticket, unusually high back then. What was more typical would be a relatively obscure group 3rd billed. Like Buffalo Springfield being 3rd billed behind The Jefferson Airplane and Strawberry Alarm Clock ("Incense and Peppermints" - 1 hit wonders).

There's something I can't stress enough. When those of you who missed that era listen to records cut then, remember that the groups almost always sounded far better in concert than they did on their records. I wish it weren't true, because then I would have music to listen to as good as I can recall it being live, instead of something that might be a trip to hear, but pales in comparison to the same group in concert. The 1970's brought a big improvement in recorded music, particularly rock, blues, and jazz (although there's some great early jazz recordings - maybe it's technically easier to record a piano, trumpet, sax, bass, and drum kit. Not my field of expertise)

[​IMG][​IMG]

#88 Deckard, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    mikol13, GIGO and TheFreak like this.
  9. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I saw that most of the bands i thougt of were already mentioned so i just wanted to repeat Elo/ Jeff Lynne solo
    (My dad's favourite musician)
    and
    Joy Division- didn't see their name here and i feel like they would have been successful to some degree in the modern times, im just not quite sure how much.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

5 pages, and nobody has mentioned AC/DC? They probably have the best known songs from the 70's; especially when it comes to sports venues.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

dude. go away

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

What an odd and arbitrary response...

Don't know you, kid. Sorry.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You’re acting like I know you. Move along. Actually, google that song while you’re at it..

14. GIGO

GIGO Member

Your 1968 never gets me tired of hearing about.

a bit rough to listen to, but still...

Timestamped song list by Audience Tape Preservation Channel
    (0:00) Break on Through (To the Other Side) (cuts in)
    (2:57) Back Door Man
    (12:31) When the Music's Over
    (27:46) Hello, I Love You
    (30:41) Little Red Rooster
    (36:41) Who Do You Love?
    (44:16) Wake Up! (fragment)
    (44:39) Light My Fire

Timestamped song list by Audience Tape Preservation Channel
    Matchbox
    (0:00)
    (4:16) Like a Rolling Stone
    (8:41) She's Not There
    (12:18) Bluebird

The Moving Sidewalks
    (18:40) Get Out of My Life, Woman
    (23:14)
    (27:50)
    (31:42)
    (35:04) No Good to Cry
    (40:21) I Want to Hold Your Hand
    (45:58) Red House
    (54:03)

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

People before your time know who I am. But your petulant rant out of nowhere is humorous.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't think any of these bands would be popular today, some of them are not even from the 1970's but I just thought of this one for some reason. Stero sound during the era when FM was overtaking AM.

Ruined by a TV show.

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

No, I don't think they do or really care to. Your obsession with that fact speaks volumes about what's important to you...tbh

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! When you said rough, that was an understatement. :eek:

That was pretty clearly from an early portable cassette recorder that someone was able to sneak into the Coliseum. Surprising, since they were so large. You could get vastly better recordings from an old iPhone 4. It couldn't be recorded off the sound board with a reel to reel, about the only way to get a decent recording back then. An example of what I'm talking about are the bootleg recordings floating around of the Texas International Pop Festival outside Dallas at the end of August, 1969. Led Zep is on one of them, which I've heard, and the sound quality is pretty good - I went to it, btw (which I've talked about before - we hit a cow on the way up, and got pulled over on the way back, but it all turned out fine), with a girl and a bunch of friends - 3 days of incredible music! We camped in the woods and a lot of us went skinny dipping in the little lake nearby. It was right after Woodstock and most of the bands played at Dallas that were there. The Hog Farm ran the trip tent, which had to be visited by a good friend of mine (who didn't have my capacity for mischief, apparently).

I had one of the first stereo cassette recorders available in the States. It was made by Royal Dutch Phillips and sold under the Norelco name. Not portable, but very nice. It had stereo mikes, two small (but decent) teak wood speakers driven by the teak recorder. I still have a few of the cassettes I recorded with it, amazingly enough. It's a trip to listen to your voice from 40 years ago, and in stereo.

#98 Deckard, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    GIGO and Torn n Frayed like this.
  19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They would have never made it the way things are today. They didn't really break through until their 5th album there isn't a label anywhere that would wait that long for a band to make them some money in todays music business.

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Lol. You come out of nowhere to insult me, and then pretend you don't know who I am.

Say my name...