1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which duo should we target at this point?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vivi, May 13, 2016.

1. hvic

hvic Member

Llull will it be coming to the nba anytime soon so no point mentioning his name

2. hvic

hvic Member

*Llull will not be coming

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

My plan...

1) Sign JVG to clean this mess up and hold our players accountable defensively. Clean house and hire supporting staff that will focus on player development. Capela, Dekker, Jones, KJ and all of our other young guys sucked and/or regressed this year. Granted, them sucking was a microcosm of the larger problem of EVERYBODY sucking and getting worse, but no competitive basketball team is sustainable without a pipeline of young bodies waiting in the wings and being groomed. None of our young guys looked rotation ready yet except D-Mo (Capela had his moments, but spent more time looking like a space cadet).

2) S&T Dwight to Milwaukee for Greg Monroe (complicated, I realize, but this is our best case scenario for Dwight's exit, IMO).

3) Split the remainder of our cap space on some combination of free agents from the following categories:

Longshot (expensive and unlikely): KD, Horford, Batum, Barnes, Parsons

More realistic (price and good fit): Ryan Anderson, Courtney Lee, Eric Gordon, Greivis Vasquez, Seth Curry, Humphries, Hinrich, Donald Sloan, Mozgov, Deng, Teletovic, Biyombo, Dudley, Ish Smith

Bargain Bin (coming off of bad years and/or declining): Nene, Noah, Kevin Martin, Brandon Jennings

"Hometown discount": Scola, Josh Smith

Match - If the contract he signs isn't outrageous: D-Mo

Obviously, that's casting a very wide net in free agency, but I think that's what you have to do with such an obvious need for a talent influx and with huge holes at the PG, PF and C. The higher the skill set, the better. You watch a team like GSW and they have 2-3 players that can grab a rebound, take the ball coast-to-coast and dish at any given point. That's something we had with the talented-but-flawed types like Lin and Parsons, but have been missing ever since. And not to beat a dead horse, since this has been discussed so extensively here, but....shooters, shooters, shooters. We need them.

Be judicious with the contracts you offer. Try not to overpay. Try not to invest too heavily long-term (another reason why I like dealing for Monroe - only on the books for two more seasons; final year is a P.O.).

4) Get lucky in the draft. Not exactly a logical approach, I realize, but DM needs to pull one of his magic tricks. Our young guys were crap this past season. Hopefully, a new coaching staff can get them back on track, but we have to at least be entertaining the possibility that none of our young guys are rotation ready yet.