1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where's the Melo Love?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JayZ750, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I thought Knicks were doomed once Lin went down for the season?

2. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

So much stupid in this thread...

Melo has NEVER played on a losing team. Other than Tim Duncan, I don't think any other superstar can make that claim.

Also the notion that I guy that won with Andre Miller, Chauncey Billups, Allen Iverson, and Ty Lawson can not play with a dominant ball handler is beyond ignorant(do I even mention the Olympics?).

For this saying he isn't a winner, show me his history of losing in the playoffs to lesser teams. Where is it? KG was also a loser until he wasn't. When you are going up against Shaq/Kobe, Duncan/Manu/Parker, etc. then having a 2nd option of Billups, JR Smith or Kenyon Martin might not be enough to advance.

Learn the game, Melo is as elite as they get.

1 person likes this.
  3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Similar production, similar games (in some aspects), two different players. Melo is a great athlete, but he is NO DOMINIQUE WILKINS in that department. Wilkins was a physical speciman, and could attack the paint relentelessly, sort of like MJ and Drexler, but not quite as good, because he settled for more jump shots. Nique had alot more flash to his game, sort of like LeBron or D-Wade, because of the other-worldly athleticism.

Melo is a better jump-shooter, better range outside, better back to basket, and more clutch shoots.

It's hard to say whose better. Probably a toss-up.

Never getting past top teams, I can agree with both players, but how are you going to get past a top team, when your own team is not consider top-notch or an elite contender. I will never understand that argument, especially in the 1980s, what teams could win consistently, outside of may Boston, LA, and Philly.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Let the Melo love stay in New York. We don't need Mele love.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Playoff records for players since 91-92:

Melo is worst with a 32% winning rate (16-34).

Since the Knicks traded for Melo, including playoffs games, they are 50-50, exactly a .500 team.

This guy is simply not a superstar. The Knicks have to get a real #1 star soon if they want to be relevant again.

Fun fact: Shane Battier has a playoff record of 20-32 -> 38.5% winning rate.

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

He was 4-20 in the playoffs before Billups. Think about that, 4-20. Not including that one season in 09, he's on his way to 6-32.

That's what happens when you're overrated, you make good supporting casts look like mediocre teams. Real superstars make mediocre supporting casts look like good teams. Look at the scrubs Howard and LBJ have led to the finals.

Not to mention the financial implications of paying fake superstars 20 mil.

#46 ashishduh, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'll give you that he is not a superstar (I really don't think there are many of them, so that's no biggie). However, it's important to note that he's always been in the playoffs.

A team with Melo needs a primary playmaker and defensive minded role players. The Knicks would be the 3rd best team in the east if they traded Amare for a legit PG. Melo is no Durant but I think he'd have similar team success if he had Harden/Westbrook level playmakers on his team. We've seen what he can do with an old Billups, he'd be that much better with a guy that could finish and/or space the floor on his post ups.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Decent article, Melo sounds similar to TMac really, except TMac was willing to pass the ball.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/05/s...-playoff-track-record.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Melo needs to realize that playing off-ball is going to be better than him playing iso-ball.

More Ray Allen and less Melo.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have been watching the NBA for a long time. Very long time. And Carmelo is one of the most selfish players I have seen in that time span.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

On Team USA, Melo is more than willing to play off the ball because he acknowledges there are superior players on the team and he follows their examples. He was also willing to do so with Chauncey Billups because he was glad to get rid of AI and he respected Billups' championship pedigree.

But there is nobody on the Knicks roster he respects enough to think they can consistently create for him. Despite Jeremy Lin's run of success, when Melo came back he had to establish himself as the alpha dog point-man regardless of what play was called. For all of his flaws, Mike D'Antoni wouldn't kiss Melo's ring hard enough, which is why Melo refused to play defense for him. While Woody is clearly a better coach than "Pringles", the fact Lin is gone and everything begins and ends with Melo is why he has Melo's respect, for now.

Melo definitely has superstar talent but his ego and approach to the game hold him back. He is 28 years-old now. When he still hasn't won a championship and his talent eventually declines, Melo might mature into the right frame of mind. Or maybe something can happen earlier to knock him off his perch so he can see things clearly.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree with Z-Boy, Melo is exceptional player, but he doesn't necessarily make his teammates, better, even when he had really good teammates.

Honestly, if you gave D-Wade or Lebron, similar teams to Carmelo in Denver or New York. Those teams would have won exponentially more games.

If you Lebron and Melo traded places, earlier in their careers. Lebron would've had 2 or 3 titles playing with some of the Nuggets teams or the modern day Knicks.

13. t_mac1

And TMAC was a much better player. The only series TMAC blew really was the Utah series, and the others were pretty much just bad luck.

Melo gets BLOWN out in every one of his series. He's about to be swept 2 years in a row. A great player should win at least ONE GAME in a 7 game series, regardless of how inferior your team is. He's an all-star scorer, and that's it.

You do know Melo has the WORST winning % in playoff history right? The worst.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Tmac was a better player hands down, but i think they are similar. Both have amazing court vision and are deadly on offense from anywhere. Both can play D when they want.

TMac could get his teammates involved, and looked to. Melo plays Melo ball.

But although Melo might have a terrible winning % he has a better advancement % ;)

15. t_mac1

Melo is a better version of Glenn Robinson: pure scorer, but Melo is much more talented. Melo needs to accept a role similar to what Glenn did (2nd/3rd option but will score when called upon). He needs to be like Chris Bosh.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You are clueless.

17. Entropy

Entropy Member

And this is why the Knicks won't win a playoff series so long as he's the central focus. As long as Melo gets his 20 and 10 every game, he could care less about winning. Early playoff exit just means more time to screw around in the summer to him.

18. t_mac1

I think he's a very talented player. But as his career progresses, you don't see him adding anything to his game to become a more well-rounded player. If he was a more well-rounded player with that scoring ability, he could still be the focus of a contending team.

But right now, he's purely a scorer and that's it. He needs to be on a team that has players that will cover his weaknesses (playmaking - so needs a great PG or playmaker, defense - Shumpert/Chandler). So he needs a Dwill/CP3 and this Knicks team will be a championship team, as he will scoot over to become the #2 guy.

19. Broford

Broford Member

The only way to build around Melo is to cover up his many weaknesses and limit his contributions. In Denver, the Nuggets had to surround him with quality defensive players and ballhandlers. And they only went to the WCF during Melo's worst season, when they limited his touches on offense.

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Great thread.