1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where will Omer rank in terms of top Rocket All Time centers when its all said and done?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Mar 5, 2013.

?

Where will Omer rank on our ALL TIME list of centers?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2013.

27 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Top 5

71 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. Top 10

93 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. Top 20

19 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The centers he won't pass up are Hakeem, Moses, Elvin Hayes (if you include the San Diego Rockets seasons), and probably Yao. The rest of them, he's either better than or has a shot to be considered better.

2. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Those 4, then him. Deke may be closed for 5th too, depending on how long we keep asik. If he stays more than a couple of contracts, he's a lock for 5th though, putting Deke 6th. Just about 10 rungs above kelvin Cato.....

3. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

He's almost already in the top 5, and i doubt he's going to be better than Hakeem and Malone. If he's here long term i could see him getting into the top 3, but that's the highest he should go

4. liveguy

liveguy Member

He could be a top 5'er easy.

1. Olajuwan
    2. Yao
    3. Malone
    4. Hayes
    5. Asik

Long as he is here 5+ and continues on the same level, he would easily be one of the best centers the Rox have ever had. Top 5, no question.

5. fattz

fattz Member

He is on par with Larry "Mr. Mean" Smith; but Smith has a bigger sample size so he goes higher on the list. Otis logged some time at center, too. He is on the lower end of top ten at best. That is not a bad thing we have just had a lot of HOF / very good centers over the years.

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

He's certainly above Cato in my book.

7. jamescar

jamescar Member

Do people even know who Moses Malone is. You realize he won MVP three times, including one with the Rockets. It is hard to argue that even Hakeem Olajuwon had a better career. (Hakeem was a better Rocket)

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Two Mvps for Moses with the Rockets.

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Behind Scola

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

he's better than Kelvin Cato, but not as good as Kevin Willis.

13. HardLin

HardLin Member

Hard to say, because he's still improving. This season I've seen him lead the fast break, beat his man and take it to the hole off the dribble, get 5 steals in one game, and score consistently in the post. Before the season started, I didn't expect any of those to happen. 15ppg/12reb seems within reach. Which would make him about as valuable as Marc Gasol, easily making him at least #5. 20ppg? and he's one of the greats.

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

In all seriousness, top five in order

1. Hakeem
    2. Moses

Everyone else

3. Asik (winning a ring with him as your starting center will help... otherwise he will be 5th)
    4. Ming (short career, but was a professional every step of the way and is a true Rocket -- whatever that means)
    5. Sampson (short, short career. could have been 2nd)

15. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Well if we sign someone in the off-season (cough) Dwight (cough) he will completely be forgotten. But if he could stick around for a few years, he could have a top 5 spot based purely on likeability and hustle.

16. LivinLikeLarry

Do you mean where does Asik rank against the overall career of players that have played in Houston, or the player's contributions in his time here in Houston?

If you mean the former, then he is ranked in the top 10 behind Hakeem, Malone, Ming, Sampson, Mutombo, and Camby.

If you mean the latter, then I would have to say #5 behind Hakeem, Malone, Ming, and Sampson.

17. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

I remember Moses very well. Awesome years. I hated that we had to trade him.

18. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

he'll be top 5 easily.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

In all fairness, you could pretty much be an actual tree we planted in the paint and as long as you play 5 years there you'll probably make the top 10. The dropoff is pretty steep after our legends.

I voted 6-10, but only because I don't know that Asik's spot as a Rocket is really secure for the next decade. If he's a Rocket for life, sure, I guess he bumps off Sampson to take that #5 spot (or #4 if you don't count Elvin Hayes).

For reference, here is a rough list of the big men we're comparing him to.

20. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Top20 would be an honor if you are talking about alltime.