1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where to donate clothes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 713, Jan 15, 2015.

1. 713

713 Member

I have some old clothes that I would like to donate around the Houston area.

Is Goodwill a viable option? I heard they sell back the clothes for profit.

Just figuring out my options. Thanks.

2. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Churches or any type of mission like Star of Hope, ect. I wouldnt give anything to goodwill or salvation army.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Garage sale them.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You got any Abercrombie and Fitch or Aeropostale? I'm attending a mid 2000's themed costume party soon. Will pay top dollar.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

This. Star of Hope downtown and Second Mile in Sugar Land are both great options.

6. Bob Barker 007

I will add Purple Heart. They have a lot of donating sites in the area.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

bro when did you get unbannt

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

never give anything to good will

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

What's wrong with Goodwill? My girlfriend donates to them, but I'll tell her not to if the internet has an opinion.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I usually drop stuff off at good will for convenience sake, but i've also used those drop off bins that some grocery stores have in the parking lot.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I don't know what Goodwill does with the money that they get for reselling their donations. But I do know that there are a lot of people who shop there to get things that they need. People that normally wouldn't have the means to purchase new dress clothes for an interview or new job for instance. School clothes for kids, furniture, sweaters, jackets/coats are all things that are very reasonably priced for people who may need it.

If Goodwill mismanages their funds then that's their moral dilemma to handle, but I've seen first hand the difference that their stores' inventories can make in people's lives. Not to mention they're located nearly everywhere and easily accessible to the people who may need them. I see nothing wrong with taking donations there.

da_juice and bigtexxx like this.
  12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, we just donated about 10 bags of clothes and a old Sony TV that still works great, but we've just upgraded. I know people will get a lot of out them.

13. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

They also have a program where they employ people with mental disabilities and they make things like candles and other small products. I think it prepares them for jobs in the future. It's a great program.

14. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Look into memorial assistance ministries

15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Just use one of the many drop off bins.

16. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Foxy's
    Those women do not need to be naked.

17. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Give them to me.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't understand the sentiment against Goodwill. According to wikipedia, they had a small executive pay scandal a decade ago, they get some criticism for using special waivers to pay disabled workers less than minimum wage in some cases, and caught flak in California for some lobbying. That's a pittance of research, but I still don't understand why someone wouldn't like them.

I use the donation boxes in parking lots. I really don't care what happens to the clothes. I just want them out of my house.

19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

The problem with these, from what I know, is that most are privately owned, and are not always used for donations. My cousin knew a guy who had 3 or 4 of the clothing donation boxes and would collect all the clothes at a certain time and run through all of them to keep what he wanted, and also sold some of the nicer stuff. This dude was shady.

He also would call on other "box owners" lol and in some cases they would say they stopped making payments or do not own it anymore and he would haul them off and use them as deer blinds.

20. Sadat X

Sadat X Member