1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Where in the World will Morey and McHale be at Midnight?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Free agency opens midnight (Eastern), where do you think the GM and Head Coach will be at?

Jonathan Feigen thinks their targets include long shots at Eric Gordon and Roy Hibbert as well as Omer Asik. They also want to retain their own guys (Dragic, Lee, Camby).

Where will Morey and McHale be when the clock strikes midnight and what hijinks will they be up to?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think they'll talk to Gordon first personally. No real reason to think that, just a guess.

Also, they can't offer a max deal like Morey was talking about at this point right? Don't they have to dump Martin or Scola to have max room?

3. Raven

Raven Member

Follow the trail of iPad receipts.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Haha.

The board will be fun for another few days as I'm sure a bunch of rumors will fly about as usual when it comes to Morey.

Think they will make a run at Asik. Could very well get him as well since the Bulls owner at times are reluctant to pay guys like him.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

In the office making phone calls to other teams.

6. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I think at least one will be with the Dragon. Maybe both. I could see (one of) them stopping by Camby's crib. Maybe Asik.

Lee is a RFA, so I'm thinking they'll just express their interest in bringing him back, sit back and wait and see.

With Gordon and Hibbert, you just call their agent and tell them you're willing to offer the max. If you feel like either guy is worth giving up bird rights, trade & signing exceptions that is of course.

7. Carl Herrera

No contract can be signed until July 11th, so there's plenty of time to clear the necessary cap room-- by trading guys, renouncing their own FAs or even amnesty. Cap room is not a the big issue really, the big issue is to (a) have the guy agree to sign a contract with you, and (b) convince the Hornets (or whatever team the RFA you are pursue is with) not to match.

I wonder about the option of offering Lowry to the Hornets in a S&T for Eric Gordon. Does it make sense for the Rockets or the Hornets? Is it too much and you'd rather just make an offer and dare the Hornets to match? Will the Hornets take it?

8. justtxyank

After drafting Austin Rivers would the Hornets even want Lowry? I could see them being interested in Scola potentially.

Can you still sign and trade RFA? I thought they did away with that.

Anyway, I like Gordon but am not sure he is worth the max anyway.

9. Carl Herrera

Is Austin Rivers a PG or a SG? The reports are that the Hornets supposedly thinks the Rivers is a PG and can play with Gordon. I'm not so sure. I mean, Rivers averaged 2 assists a game at Duke playing 33 mpg. Doesn't sound like a PG to me-- not one that will keep the rest of the team happy anyway.

10. justtxyank

Either way I don't see Lowry as a fit unless we are taking back someone like Jarrett Jack.

I don't think it matters anyway. I expect New Orleans to match anything save for maybe the max and I don't think he's worth the max.

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Im not so sure well go after gordon... i believe well offer up alot to hibbert but that seems like a lost cause with indiana... i think our first thing will be with dragic... probably make a call to c.lee to express interest but since hes rfa we'll wait and see with him... most likely we'll make a run at asik, probably a few others to be honest...i prefer mcgee, dumb he may be, a shot blocker he is...

12. HMMMHMM

You still can do it. There's just less reason to do it (for the player) in most cases as you now are only able to get the same amount of years and raises as you would have if you signed with another team outright.

As for Lowry for Gordon, I've thought about it myself previously and while I think it makes some sense, I'm not sure it's the deal either team is looking for.

Obviously the Rockets are looking to trade Lowry, but if you trade for Gordon, you now have a logjam at SG, instead of PG.

I haven't read most of the stuff that's out there yet, but I would think we're looking to trade our 'proven' assets, in some kind of combination with our young (power) forwards for either a young stud center (Howard, Bynum), a young center with high upside (Favors) or future picks (e.g. GSW 1st via UTA).

13. justtxyank

I think you can cross any deal with Utah off the list at this point. The Mo Williams deal seems to lock down their PG position. I'd have no problem moving Lowry for Bynum, even though Bynum scares me to death with that knee.

14. HMMMHMM

It certainly lowers the odds, I would agree.

You still could do some kind of three way deal though. I do think it's highly unlikely that they'll trade Favors -- I think they'll look to deal Jefferson instead, but I believe that there's a chance you might be able to nab the GSW pick.

This really belongs in the Random Trade Ideas Thread, but Morey's good old trade buddy Donnie Walsh just got the Indy gig.
    Paul George is a nice piece that would seemingly fit great in Utah, next to Hayward and their young bigs.
    You could do some type of deal centered around either either Martin+whatever or Lowry to Indy, George to the Jazz and the GSW pick to the Rockets for example.

Next year's draft isn't great and I would guess the Warriors will finish with a record in the high 30s or low 40s, so you're probably talking about a pick in the 7-13 range, which again isn't great but might put you in a position to maybe move up to get a center like Rudy Gobert, who watching some of the highlights looks similar to Valanciunas, who the Rockets reportedly were very high on.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OdTECazexFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FXSgw_epvDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Have u noticed that McHale is way more involved than Rick? I can't be sure, but I seem to remember RA not even attending things like the rookie introduction presser. Kevin is there and totally involved. Maybe this will help our chances of getting some FAs to want to come here.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hibbert is restricted. The chances of inking him to a deal that Indy won't match is almost nil.

They may be knocking on Gordon's door.

Dark Horse: Deron Williams

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Gogi's pad, to show the love and loyalty, and to see who else shows up that will be their competition.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Brook Lopez!

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If they visited DWill, I would think they'd try to keep it hush-hush like Peyton Manning and the 49ers.

20. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

Is this the day we should expect Lowry to get moved? I mean with free agency starting tmr don't we want to have that spot open for gogi so he will sign with us. I think the rockets should try and lock him up as fast as possible before Portland swoops in.