1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where in the world is Brandon Roy?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by topfive, Mar 22, 2017.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Remember the Rocket-killer with the gimpy knees? Had to retire, tried to make a comeback, but was still unable to move around well enough? That guy?

Well, it turns out he's the National High School Basketball Coach of the Year.
    In his first year.
    He inherited a team that was 3-18 and led them to a 29-0 record and a state title.
    In his first year.
    Not too shabby.

Here's a story about it from former (current?) ClutchFans member Kelly Dwyer of Ball Don't Lie fame:

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

there was a thread about this a few months ago. too bad not many casual fans know about him now. breh was gonna take the blazers to another level

Louka likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We were going to draft him but Portland heard of it and jumped ahead to take him. We ended up traded the #6 spot for Battier, the infamous "Gay for Battier" trade.

4. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

He is coaching, i think

5. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

He did get a few transfer top players including Michael Porter Jr.

LCAhmed likes this.
  6. luhbron

luhbron Member

as much as I hated him as a rocket killer, can't help but feel bad for him. He was absolutely incredible and will never get the credit he deserves for it. I almost feel the same for him as I do for Yao.

dkim1984, BigMaloe, topfive and 3 others like this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

This boy could BALL!!! I still have nightmares of that buzzard beater he hit against us smh. Rainbow 3, knew once it left it hands it was good

Rox11, topfive and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

9. Fantasma Negro

For the guys that don't want to read

ooooaaaah! likes this.
  10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Great story, always liked Roy even though he played for the bad guys. He had great body control in the air like Kobe and MJ.

11. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I wish TMac would complain about Hardens defense. He gave Roy a open shot. Smh

donkeypunch likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Man, we really just need to park our biggest guy in that one little area of the court anytime we have a last-second situation in the MODA Center.

donkeypunch likes this.
  13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I watched Brandon Roy solid for 3-4 years when he was with the Blazers. He was my favorite player.

People will never appreciate how great Roy was because he played in a small market. One of the best closers in NBA history. Once he learned to shoot, it was ball game. Playing in a plodding, slow as molasses offense coached by Nate McMillan reduced his stats so that general fans didn't appreciate just how great he was.

He also wasn't a highlight guy so ESPN didn't feature him much.

Ramo$e likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

F*** that spot.

BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We were going to trade Luther Head and the #8 (Rudy Gay) to Minnesota for the #6 (Brandon Roy) but Portland sniffed it out (actually, I think Van Gundy talked too much at some dinner and the info spread and multiplied like Mr Smith in the Matrix). It would have been a Gay Head trade.

I was sitting in the Toyota Center watching Jeff Van Gundy, Bill Worrell, and a player I can't remember. Right as the Battier-for-Gay trade was announced (and before the avalanche of boos could crush him), Van Gundy vanished like a fart in the wind.

Easy likes this.
  16. da_juice

da_juice Member

McGrady and Yao was heartbreaking enough. I don't think I could have dealt with the mental anguish of adding Brandon Roy to that (although we might have beaten the Lakers that year withe Roy covering for McGrady).

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

What a devastating mid range shooter....

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I only feared so few players, he was one

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

While it's a great story, and I always liked Roy as a player, as always in today's world, the media hasn't painted this picture as accurately as it should have. While it's true that Roy inherited a team that was 3-18 the previous season, it should also be noted that he didn't lead those same kids to a 29-0 record. When word got out that Roy was going to be the new coach of that team, the best players throughout the region made a mad dash to get on his roster, which is the real reason why they won the state title. Again, not taking away from Roy at all here.....it's just a little disingenuous for the media to make it out like he took the Bad News Bears and turned them into the Warriors.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Whats the difference between that and what coach k and callapri do?