1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where Have You Gone, Michael Dickerson - bending spoons? (USAToday)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jun 14, 2007.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://asp.usatoday.com/community/o...MiFghxrTt&req=blogburst&tag=basketball^sports

When I saw MD is bending spoons...

Blog Talk: Other voices from the Web
    Hey! Whatever Happened To Michael Dickerson?
    From the blog:
    HoopsAddict.com - Get Your NBA Fix...
    Thursday, June 14, 2007

With all the hoopla surrounding the Rolls Royce Silver Spurs’ dismantling of King James’ Chevy Cavaliers, Ryan posted some pure comedic gold a few days ago when he found a pic of Michael Dickerson’s basketball board game.

Never mind the fact that nobody plays board games anymore, it was Michael Dickerson, on the cover of a board game, looking as if maybe he was being held at gunpoint. I knew I had to do my weekly duty on this site on none other than the star-crossed Mr. Dickerson.

Coming into the NBA from a stellar season at Zona’, Mike Dickerson had a lot going for him entering the 1998 draft. He had the body (6’5”, 190) and insane leaping ability that made him one of the bright spots for the Houston Rockets. He averaged a modest 10 points per game on a Rockets squad that was busy recovering from the Clutch City era (Barkley/Drexler/Olajuwon/Pippen). It was the next season, however, that things would change for Mike.

The 1999 NBA Draft took place, and David Stern strolled to the podium to announce the second pick, which belonged to the Vancouver (yes, there was a team up there once) Grizzlies. Former Maryland Terrapin standout Steve Francis immediately (in the worst case of sportsmanship and straight up whining) balled his face up, when he realized he’d be paid millions to play basketball professionally. Really, Francis was upset at the fact that he’d be so far away from Takoma Park, MD, so he forced the Grizz’ hand and got himself shipped to Houston for Mike D.

Francis’ career jumped off nicely, but Dickerson’s journey wasn’t bad either. In the Pacific Northwest, Dickerson teamed up with fellow Zona’ alumn Mike Bibby (when he had hair) to form one of the league’s most promising young backcourt. Mike D averaged 18ppg and shot the lights out from downtown. You’d compare him today with a Jason Richardson, a guy who has the long rangy, body, but very explosive, with a nice jumper to boot. Granted, the Grizzlies were more of a Canadian sideshow than a good team, Dickerson gave opposing defenses problems night in and night out. Mike wasn’t an all-star, but he was on his way, and he was happy with his role (as evidenced by the smile on the cover of his board game).

Well kids, we all know how these stories end, and for Dickerson it hurt really bad, literally. Mike’s groin just wouldn’t cooperate, and once that goes, the rest of the lower body usually breaks down in some way shape or form. After Mike Heisley sold the team to Graceland, Dickerson tried his best to heal up so he could join Jerry West’s newest diamond in the rough, Pau Gasol. When that experiment failed to come to fruition, it was pretty much over for Mike D, as he called it quits in 2002.

Doing some TPS reports (i.e. “Googling”) I ran into a website that claims Mike D as a founder for News For The Soul, which is a life-changing internet radio show that can…..well…..teach you how to bend spoons with your MIND! Dead serious folks check that link here (www.newsforthesoul.com/dickerson.htm) But seriously, Mike had skills on the court and it’s a shame we never got to see his full potential.

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Man I still remember that game back in 99 when Barkley, Hakeem, and maybe even Quitten were all out and Mike and Cat lit up some team (Toronto?) for 27 a piece and we got the W. Man, the future of our backcourt looked so bright...

Next thing you know, Sam Mack and Brent Price are taking all of their minutes in the playoffs.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

sad to see mike get traded. i really liked his game a lot.

however, great/lucky move by CD. mike gets traded for steve who brings in tmac. mike on the other hand ran into the injury bug...

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I cant believe people are commenting with Michael Dickerson praise. Who cares about that at this point?! Did you not read the end? We can bend spoons?! Thats nuts!

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Not with his nuts, with his mind. Sheesh.

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

MD was a baller, after his rookie season, he was on of my fav. rockets along with Othella my Fella, but both were part of the trade for Francis. I don't regret the trade, but would've loved to see what his potential could've been.

btw, I do remember that Raptors game with him and Cat blowing up the Raptors, i believe they combined for 55 pts?

EDIT: it was 54 pts, Dickerson with 28 and Cat with 26

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/HOU19990325.html

if i remember correctly, Cat/Dickerson were "boys" before the cat/Franchise love fest.

7. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I can bend spoons with my effing mind!!!
    [​IMG]

Dickerson looked like he had a real future when he joined the Rockets, I remember when he and Mobley joined the squad, I thought it was the sign of what the new rockets would be. It's a shame his body failed him.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I always believe he was the better player when compared to Mobley but Mobley's competitiveness and fire trumped everything. Dickerson looked too timid on the court even though the guy could run and fly and shoot with the best of them.

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

dickerson was better than mobley when he played in vancouver and theres no doubt in my mind that he'd be a borderline superstar and much better than francis if he was playing today.

11. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Dickerson was the bomb, if he had continued to improve he could've been a borderline All-Star. Averaging 15-20 PPG

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Dickerson never reached his potential.

Sincerely,
    Stromile Swift

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was not a fan of his at all. I remembered him in Arizona having a horendous game in the Final Four one year that lost Zona the game. Went 1 for 10 or something. Next thing i knew rudy picks him. he had an okay rookie season, but in the playoffs against the lakers he had a game where Dream kept kicking the pass out to him and he wouldn't shoot. He had the same deer in the head lights look that he had in that final four game.

the guy had a lot of talent but I never felt he loved to play