1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do I take this kitten?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sadat X, Jul 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Long story short- adopted a kitten to surprise someone, turns out it wont work out after all. I feel like an idiot for not checking with the apartments first.

So where do I take this little kitten? I don't want it to be put down for no reason. Are there any rescues that you know of? It has all shots, paperwork, microchipped, ect.

I would appreciate any help on this

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

put an ad on craigslist....

3. New Generation

Take it to CAPS, Kittens there get adopted the same day.

4. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

Giving a pet as a surprise gift is such a terrible idea. Especially if you haven't even talked about or planned for one with that person. Cats are up to a 20 year commitment, dogs can sometimes be 15+. Not to mention the financial commitment. Kittens and puppies grow up. Allergies, housing, time, cost, potential pet destruction etc. there are just so many things that have to be discussed before getting a pet.

Now that's out of the way, where did you get it from? BARC? I'm pretty familiar with some of the shelters around Houston and their kill rates & likelihood of adoption.

Post a picture and you just may be able to find it a home with a Clutchfan member. If you post a pic, I'd be more than happy to help you network this kitten on my social networks.

Try to find a home for the kitten first instead of bringing it to a shelter. There are so many illnesses that the kitten can pick up at a shelter & some shelters are so crowded, I can't guarantee it would get adopted at certain ones.

Be wary of Craigslist. There are some messed up people out there and you really don't know what kind of home it may go to. Not saying don't explore this option, I've just heard horror stories.

If you adopted from a good shelter, and the kitten is still very young, you may want to bring it back to that same shelter. The younger the kitten, the better chance it has at getting adopted.

Another thing, this is just for anyone reading this to know because people are always so shocked when I tell them this. IF YOU OWNER SURRENDER A PET AT A SHELTER, THEY CAN PUT IT TO SLEEP THAT DAY. Right when you leave if they want. No law saying that they have to see if anyone wants to adopt it first. Strays brought in are given at least a 3 day hold for someone to claim them. During that time, someone may see them and want to adopt it. Some people lie when turning in their pets to give it a few extra days.

5. Classic

Classic Member

microchip for a cat?

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Protest Zimmerman verdict?

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is it too sexy? If so, give it to Artest.

8. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

post it on reddit.com/r/houston .... they love cats

9. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Thank you for your serious response. And yes, I know it was a risky idea but my girl couldn't stop talking about getting a kitten, so I thought it was a go.

I will post pictures shortly. The kitten is 11 months old and weighs about 2 or 3 pounds. It is cute as could be and loves to play/get attention constantly but sleeps all through the night. It is also litterbox trained so it would be a great kitten for someone who has the space, ability to take care of it. Also, I would happily deliver it to anyone on here who is interested.

10. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Props on trying to find it a good home, I hope you do. But what a DUMB thing to do to get an animal as a surprise gift for someone. That's what flowers and jewelry and **** are for. smh

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you'll find someone. THe good thing about kittens and puppies is that they are always wanted.

Cats and Dogs are much harder to find a home for.

Post an ad on craigslist, but screen the people well.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

keep it away from these guys in China, please

[​IMG]

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Classless.

14. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Pictures make it look big, but trust me, this is a little kitty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:grin:

16. likestohypeguy

Does it tear stuff up, particularly talking about chewing through wires; or bite? Or any other weird behavioral problems? (It makes me nervous that you specified it "sleeps all through the night", I'm thinking night terrors & screams or something lol.)

So shots, microchip, and paperwork- basically means I don't have to take it to the vet again, or when for a followup?

17. likestohypeguy

Any pics with its eyes open?

And is it supposed to be that long?

18. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

It does not chew anything at all. I have wires all over my house and have not caught it even playing with them (I am always nervous about that with any animal)

The only thing are her claws are sharp, so if you wanted to either declaw or get them trimmed, then you may need to take to a vet.

As for it sleeping through the night, that means what it means. She sleeps soundly either right next to me or close by all night rather than running around and making noise/playing.

That picture makes her look bigger but it is kind of a long kitten. Here are some pics of what she is doing right now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is just chillin while I cook dinner and watch NBA TV

#18 Sadat X, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Also wanted to add:

Her behavior is great. She just loves constant attention. It probably doesnt help that I work 8-6 during the week so she gets really bored during the day Im sure.

That's another reason Id love to pass her along. Since my girl couldnt keep her, I had to bring her to my apartment and like I said, I am gone all day.

20. AXG

AXG Member

I hope she finds a good home and that no one declaws the kitten. Trimming/cutting nails doesn't take much time and actually leads to other problems.