1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where did Morey go wrong?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Nov 30, 2018.

?

What has been Morey's biggest mistake?

1. Signing Ryan Anderson to that contract

78 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Trading for CP3

10 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Resigning CP3 for 4yrs $160 mil

50 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. Letting Ariza and Luc walk

32 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Signing Melo

27 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

So do you have a similar level of expertise to assume they recur frequently after surgery? The rate of recurrence depends on some of the details of his actual injury but it can become very low with surgery. Depending on the type of injury and the type of surgery, recurrent dislocation May occur in less than 10% of athletes.

LMAM’s current performance is terrible but I can’t imagine that he would be worse than MCW, who has almost always been terrible. LMAM is also barely seeing the court.

You don’t know why he didn’t stay. It could have been just as easily because Morey didn’t want to dip into the MLE for a guy who had some risk for injury and only offered him the minimum. LMAM was on the market a few days.

I also don’t know if LMAM got anything done to repair the shoulder.

2. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Trading for harden

Lawlruschang likes this.
  3. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

CP trade!!!

People will say oh we wouldn’t have got close to beating the warriors, but thing is we didn’t because of his INJURY.

Close doesn’t count!

I was for bringing him in but for Lou, Harrell, bev, 1st for too much for a guy who wanted to be here and was a free agent.

If anybody could’ve forced a hand it’s CP

Then we agreed to give him a MAX also.

4. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Please y’all get over this, we didn’t win doesn’t matter. CP could’ve fixed his way here we gave up a lot where we couldn’t be flexible going forward.

Clippers can say the TRADE is why they’re number 1 in WEST but they won’t win the title EITHER

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

I answered none of the above. It's still far to early to say he made a mistake.

Most of the losses are due to CP3 or Harden being out. Both are MVP type players in terms of value (they were ranked #1 and #2 respectively in Real Plus-Minus in 2017). These games have all been without vets like Nene and Knight who could actually contribute.

With vets (add Green to that list too) coming back and whatever additions Morey will make. The team will still end up being really tough to beat by the end of the season.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I base my speculations on the following:
    - The fact that shoulder dislocations increase the chance of further future dislocations, proven by 2nd dislocation within half a year
    - While surgery helps lessen the chance of dislocations (as does being over 25 yo) compared to no surgery, it is not a sure thing
    - Range of motion said shoulder exhibited after surgery and indicates an obvious rush to get back without proper rehab for playoffs
    - While a small sample size, steep declines in ability to shoot and finish this season can suggest lack of confidence or health
    - He signed with Clippers for $4.3M and indicated willingness to give Rockets a discount, which ballparks not much more than MCW

We then add this on top of the fact that he currently has a knee injury on the same knee that he bruised last season and missed multiple games for. That is quite a history of injuries to the same joints within the time span of less than a year, so you tell me... is it more likely due to us not being too positive about his future ability or simple cheapness?

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Dude. With surgery, among athletes in a contact sport, recurrence rates are 10% or less. You’re wrong. It’s ok. But stop doubling down on that. I don’t see that he got surgery - so perhaps that factored in the decision. He needs it.

The truth is I don’t know why we don’t have LMAM - but I miss him.

bmelo likes this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Did you really just say trading for Paul will be his biggest error, when trading for Paul launched us into true title contention, and allowed us to be on the verge of toppling the greatest basketball team ever formed, and will go down as the greatest team to ever step foot on the hardwood.

Are you kidding me?

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He definitely got surgery. If you dislocate your shoulder twice in half a year, every single orthopedic surgeon will recommend surgery. Also, you realized that I acknowledged surgery reduces the chance of further dislocations right? I am also telling you that surgery is not a guarantee and there are inherent risks from surgery, such as scar tissue inhibiting motion, nerve damage, etc.

LMM was not the same coming back after surgery, we passed on him for MCW, he has been crap this season, and he recently hurt the same knee as last season, but yeah... keep insisting I am wrong. LOL

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

have you seen any story on this? b/c i never heard anything about him getting the shoulder surgery

11. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

wow you do NOT know basketball

RyanB likes this.
  12. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

it is sad to me how many people like you don't understand the concept of opportunity cost. the rockets would not have been able to spend that money on other players. lol

BaselineFade, RyanB and Theking like this.
  13. Theking

Theking Member

Ok. So dont ever trade for a superstar cos they may get injured in game 6 and 7. Stoopid logic! Morey put them in a position to beat 1 of the best teams in history and CP3 got injured in game 5. Ok dude. So what should he have done?

BaselineFade and RyanB like this.
  14. Theking

Theking Member

Someone gets it! So many idiots here. Just like the ESPN analysts blaming morey for not retaining Ariza. Not only was he 15mio but add luxury tax on top. Be realistic. Its not 2K

BaselineFade and Lawlruschang like this.
  15. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

that's just dumb. you can't control and predict everything. fielding the same rockets team with an extra role player last year would not have put us in a better position.

16. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

these guys wanted us to pay 40 mil a season for ariza LMAO

RyanB likes this.
  17. Theking

Theking Member

Im down with you homie

Lawlruschang likes this.
  18. Rockets4Life13

Clippers aren't winning a Championship. It's early in the Season. If you wan't any chance at a Championship you give CP3 that contract.

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it was always gonna be scary giving CP3 all of that money when it was clear that he would only be worth it for maybe 2 years of the contract. And that includes playing like 75% of the time. But the key was the WIN NOW idea. If you pull the trigger on a massive cp3 deal at his age, you need to go all out for the next 2 years to make it worth it.

but that is not what we did. we went into the season a worse team. it wasn't even debatable that we were a worse team. some people tried to say we were better, but those people were crazy and it was nonsense. most of us knew we took a step back.

So where did Morey go wrong? we resigned an older injury-prone player without improving the team, and we went into the season worse than we were last year. Now our record reflects our lack of depth and our poor play. And now it's obvious that the Cp3 signing was a mistake. If we were gonna lock up Cp3, we also needed to go all out everywhere else ...and we didn't.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think the general over evaluation of James Ennis this summer was a huge blunder. They should have known better than to think he could perform at the level they needed in that role.

I thought signing Melo was fine, but the buy in from all parties and understanding of his role was the big blunder there. There was a very non commital approach to both the role MDA gave him and the way Melo would try to just figure it out.