1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When's the last time the Rockets tried to hire a coach without a superstar big man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Dec 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Was it Johnny Egan?

Things may look bad now, but they can get a whole lot worse. We've had the leverage of a strong frontcourt in every head-coach search. Next time, we may be picking at scraps.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What? We have Jordan Hill!

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think 1 year is as long we have ever gone without a dominant big man. The year between Moses and Ralph and the year between Dream and Yao.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is why we should hope that the Kings losing record somehow nets us Cousins in the near future.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is this the last year of Adelman's contract?

6. AggieRocketsFan

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the team is rebuilding. wins don't mean as much in the short term because of that. look at it this way. a hall of fame coach like adelman isn't getting this team to the finals (probably not even the playoffs). so why not purposely part ways, save money, and try a promising young coach? adelman may not even be around when the rockets next era is ready to compete.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We're not a second rate organization. I don't see us giving an unproven coach the time of day.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We still have the inside track on Sam Cassell.

10. AggieRocketsFan

Perhaps you didn't get the memo?

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't see why Rick wouldn't come back, and I don't see how we would let him go. The team is rebuilding and has no star power, but realistically how much star power did that Kings team have? As long as we net Rick players he can use and still search for a replacement for Yao this team will be appealing to Rick. As long as Rick continues to find success in a sh!tstorm of injuries and roster changes management will keep Rick. At this moment we are in equilibrium...

12. heypartner

?
    Chris Webber in his prime. Divac a 7'1 passing machine. Bibby and Peja in their prime. Bobby Jax as 6th man. Christie to guard someone. They even had a young Hedo.

Webber was freaking 25/10. And he and Divac were the two best passing big men in the league. They combined for 9 apg that year.

There is not one position we are better at than them, if you consider Peja playing Martin's role and Christie playing Battier's. imo, they were the best team in the league in 2002.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Scola puts up numbers close to Webber, and Miller is playing somewhat near the level Divac was. I will concede that Bibby and Christie are better than our guard combo. But all in all, in the names you listed I don't see a real super star. If you give our guys time to grow they could reach the level of those Kings.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Don't forget about the Kevin Kunnert era during the mid seventies.

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Wow... that is baffling to me. You try to make a case for Scola and Miller vs Webber and Divac, but you concede that Bibby and Christie are better?

If anything, our backcourt (Martin and Lowry/Brooks) is where we have the advantage, because their frontcourt is clearly better. You have it completely backwards.

Also, Webber was certainly a superstar.

16. heypartner

Pizza_Da_Hut

Webber was 25/10 and a great passer. He had 5 apg. He was 25/10/5. Plus he could block. I wish Scola was that good. If Scola was as tall as Webber and could pass like Webber, then we have a comparison.

I don't think our backcourt is better, either, if you consider Peja is playing Martin's role and Christie is playing Battier's.

And Bobby Jackson...let's not forget Bobby Jackson on that team. Wasn't he 6th man of the year that year?

17. heypartner

opps delete

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Our backcourt is only better when they are making their shots. If teams close out the three ball and are good at following the shooter we have a piss poor backcourt. Webber a superstar? I guess I just don't see it. I certainly wouldn't build a franchise around Webber. Oh well.

heypartner, I do agree Bobby Jackson was a good fit for that team and had a role similiar to Jason Terry for Dallas. He gave them energy and a surge off the bench, and when he was on, he was on. I do agree that team was good, my only point is, that real superstar talent wasn't there. Heck, Adelman's final years with that team they traded away major pieces of his system and he still stayed. If I recall correctly they fired him, it wasn't that he wanted to leave. Plus, I've read in so many places that Morey goes out of his way to work with Adelman on acquiring talent, as opposed to most GMs who just hand their coaches pieces and say make it work or quit. I think that makes this situation more ideal for RA...

19. PeppermintCandy

I agree. And it's got to be satisfying for a coach to have a GM like Morey, who's done a great job getting guys that fit his coaching system. I could see Adelman sticking around for the long haul, like Sloan has over in Utah.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know what Morey's thinking. Obviously, he needs to talk about how crappy the Rockets are. How it's not worth your time to go to the games because they're going to take it easy and not bother anymore.

I've never heard of a GM who oversells his team for PR reasons. So I'm certain Morey's just delusional and thinks this team is really good rather than being mediocre.