1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will Rudy learn?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKETBOOSTER, Jan 4, 2001.

1. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Must I say this over and over: Matt Bullards offense doesn't make up for his piss-porr defense! Our defense rotations come 10-steps too late due largely inpart to Matt Bullard not being able to rotate at all. I'm not going to even talk about his rebounding. ugh!

Where is Carlos Rogers?

------------------

2. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

It may work occasionaly but it'll consistently rack up more losses in the long run.

------------------

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Yeah I agree. Bullard is a great weapon for 12 minutes a game, as long as no more than 3 of those minutes come in the fourth quarter.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, I tend to agree but those three's he hit in the fourth tonight were huge and this team is playing SEVERLY short-handed at the moment in the big man category.

------------------
    The way to use life is to do nothing through acting,
    The way to use life is to do everything through being. - Lao-Tzu

5. Steve_Francis_rules

His defense is terrible, but we need someone with some offense out there.

------------------

6. treeman

treeman Member

I have to disagree here and say that Rudy uses Matt pretty well.

Putting Matt in does several things: it opens up Cuttino (by creating another perimeter threat that has to be guarded - Matt's shooting % demands a guard) and Steve in the same way. It detracts from post presence - Matt is going to replace someone foreward - but that should be offset by treys in short minutes.

But let's face it: Bullard's role is to come in and shoot a few three's, and that's it. He's a sharpshooter, plain and simple. When his shot is on, this can be a game-saving asset. When it's not, he's simply rotated out.

And now we get to the beef of this post: Rudy plays Matt very well. I've noticed that Matt never enters a pivotal position, but he is allowed to assume such when it's a close game. When a 3 is needed, Matt comes in/shoots. Simple, and it works. It also leaves the guards free, as Matt generally stays out of the way for them (and faithfully pays attention to the 3-line when they are looking to pass), but Kenny, Kelvin, or Hakeem will tend to crowd the lanes...

Incidentally, he is probably the least ambitious (leas selfish) player on the team. Meaning he is one of the few there who will willingly sacrifice his own #s for the team effort. That is the most valuable type of role player there is.

------------------