1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When thugs come around

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Honey Bear, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Jamal Crawford
    Monta Ellis
    Jr Smith

They said there was no place in the w column for these high talent, high risk chuckers. They set out to perform character assassination because he didn't fit the mold of the Shane battier corpo type all the suits could relate.

Well, look at me now. Look at me now.

All playing winning basketball on winning teams. Using their ability to create mismatches to play up to their potential and making a difference... Not just spotting up and hitting there's.

This is why I would hold on to a guy like Royce white. Let him sit at the end of the bench and take a few years to sort out his issues. But waiving him for a roster spot .. to make a statement .. is a dumb thing to do. This is a raw talent first league.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Royce White is a thug? Since when? Im just pulling your leg. I know what you meant. High Risk, High Reward. Anyways you have to remember it took these guys (except Ellis) a long time to get to produce like this. I am sure the % reflects that these said guys are the exception.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Nobody ever called Monta or JCrawford thugs.

Also, the Rockets' won't waive Royce, he's only throwing a fit because he can't get PT.

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

The only one is that group who I would consider a "thug" is JR Smith. Being Tatted up doesn't make you a "Thug"

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol nice screen name change

6. Honey Bear

Attn: Caucasian p.c. brigade

Thug slang = headcase, unreliable, selfish, not a team guy

Those 3 were defo branded that early in their careers, as Royce is being branded one now.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know you are probably trolling in some strange way, but show me where Royce has been branded as a thug. I don't know many "thugs" who are in touch with their emotional and mental issue.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A very reasonable, if somewhat awkward, take. But I think you forgot the most important one. Big Zach Randolf.

9. makman

makman Member

Just because they're black, have tattoos, and you're scared of them doesn't mean they are thugs.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think these guys were "chuckers" which doesn't make them "thugs."

11. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

if these guys are thugs, then the majority of nhl players are

how come black players are quickly labeled as thugs and hace ''character issues'' but when white players eare excluded from little to no criticism?

curious, because Im tired of the racial connotations that are attached to such unfair monikers, its bad taste and hypocritical.. something to think about

12. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

What about Robert Swift?

[​IMG]

13. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Chugs/Chucks?

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't notice that. Oh my! Ronny became Honey Bear. :eek:

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I consider JR Smith a thug, I guess, and a low percentage shooter. So yeah, I still wouldn't want that guy on my team.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

17. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I have no problem with headcases. I just wish White was more on the Artest tip, aggressive with a short fuse and prone to getting on the team bus in just his underwear. That's the kind of crazy I understand. No one has ever doubted Artest's heart or commitment to becoming a better player (well, maybe that time he asked to take time off during the season to promote his record). White doesn't seem to be in that mold at all.

And where did you get that people think he's a thug? The guy was giddy yesterday about getting a tweet from Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'm not worried that he's gonna get busted with a gun and a kilo in his car. I'm simply worried that his condition does not bode well for him in a job that requires an incredible amount of stress.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That clears things up -- I was trying to remember why I had put someone named Honey Bear on ignore. ;)

As for the 'thugs'/chuckers/whatever-they-are, they might eventually mature and become useful basketball players, but that doesn't mean they are worth keeping in inventory in the meantime. Teams seem to be able to be patient for a season, maybe 2 for a promising player, but what team has given a player more than 2 years to figure out their **** before dumping them? Roster spots are too precious to waste time on players who can't figure it out and pay a return in short order.

19. Honey Bear

You are taking it too literally and proving why white women love men of color more. The truth is we don't know what Royce is dealing with that is the CAUSE of his childish behavior, and now everyone wants to waive for being a selfish, immature brat who can't 'deal with reality'.

If that's not an issue thugs like myself deal with, then I don't know what is.

The truth os low ceiling guys like battier will never make a real difference and are too scared to think otherwise. So they eagerly take on the stereotypical white collar personality. And for some reason that's applauded on this board, like you play to make friends; not win basketball games.

But the guys who transcend their profession, think mj, them put it all on the line. That gives them the impetus to visualize that, which has not been done

The reward .. is worth the wait. Mj .. hakeem .. Barkley .. isiah .. kobe .. all young thugstas.

20. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I'd love to have him in Houston.

He's actually a very high percentage shooter from deep. His career .382 3PT% with Denver is 3rd all-time in franchise history. After 5 years with the team, he shattered the career mark for 3PT FGM with 768, and he's the only player in NBA history to record more than one game with 10+ 3PT FGM. Over his NBA career, he's at .37 3PT%, which is very respectable. Through 8 games with New York this year, he's 15-25 (.60) from 3PT.

He runs the floor, finishes at the rim, & sinks 3s with efficiency. Not to mention, he just turned 27. He's a steal at $2.8 mil this year. I wonder how much he'll fetch on the open market as an UFA in '14?