1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Steve's contract ends....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sane, Jul 28, 2000.

1. Sane

Sane Member

When the time comes, and Steve's contract is up, do u think he'd consider going elsewhere? Well, there are two cases, and two cities.....
    Case 1: Mobley leaves in two days.
    Case 2: Mobley stays.
    City 1: Houston
    City 2: Washington, his hometown, and MJ, his idol, is there too.....

Now, Let's start with, if mobley leaves....Francis would probably be good friends with Kenny, and Shandon....but there's no Mobley, I think Chicago will have the cap space then i think....I have a feeling MJ is keeping an eye on Francis...So, why wouldn't he leave? Simple...Cuttino's gone....You say this is HIS team? I say Washington would be HIS team too if he left....He has few friends here....Washington's his hometown! He loves Rudy, He loves MJ........I think he's gonna have to through this unless He gets an extension before the end of his contract arrives......His situation in this case can be compared to Micheal Finley, who is a free agent next year, and will be otrn ,I'm sure, between Chicago and Dallas.....Dallas is built around him, but Chicago's HIS hometown.....I think if Mobley leaves, it would be much worse than it looks.....

If Mobley stays, then the only way Francis would leave is if he sees himself averaging 25 pts., 10 assists a night and the Rockets still aren't going anywhere.....

NOW, are we all wishing Cuttino stays?? It's like the Domino effect....Mobley, Francis, well, that's quite enough....who's gonna have the team covered?? Kenny Thomas? or Shandon??

Your thoughts please.....

2. davo

davo Contributing Member

Sane,

Like all NBA 1st round draft picks, Steve signed a specified deal for 3 years with a team option for a 4th year.(Which must be exercized before October 31st this year if we want it).

After the 4th year(or 3rd for that matter), Steve will be a restricted free agent, which means that no matter what another team offers him, the Rocket's can match the offer and retain him.(We can offer anything be he will be a Larry Bird Free Agent after 3 years).

The only Pitfalls are:-
    a) The offer that we match me only be for one year, and hence Steve could potentially leave after that 1 year
    b) Steve could simply demand a trade (Pippen Style) making it exceedingly difficult to retain him and maintain team chemistry

I'm not sure about the details surrounding a) and maybe you guys can help me out. If, for example, Washington offered Francis the max for 1 year, do we then match it with a 1 year deal? The Salary Cap FAQ says the contract must match "the principle terms" of offer from the other team., so think it does. If Steve really wanted out, he could just get his team of choice(ie Washington) to offer him a 1 year deal and after Houston matches it, he's home and free.

Hence, we should have Steve's Services for at least 4 years.

It will also be interesting to see whether Houston exercize the 4th year rookie option. I firmly believe that Francis will be demanding the max, and he will want it in year 4, hence he may ask Houston not to exercize it and sign him to a max Bird contract ater three.

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

3. Sane

Sane Member

Thanks for clearing that up Davo.....but like u said, if Washington offers him a max 1 yr. contract, and so do we....then can he choose or does he have to come back to houston....

although i think he'll never DEMAND a trade....We've done so much for him....we're gonna do more for him.....I don't think he'll trade...i DO think that he'll be worth the Max in the last year of his contract....especially if he bursts out for 62 points in an NBA game anytime soon......

------------------

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Davo, I believe a team needs to decide in year 2 or so whether or not to exercise their 4th year option. If I remembered that right, then we should hear an announcement this season about a contract extension or an exercised option.

On the subject of Francis leaving: (1) Despite all the kissing Mobley and Francis did on the court last season, they aren't married and can continue without each other. I have good friends all over the country and I don't choose what city I live in based on them. (2) It will be another 4 seasons before Francis can leave. I think it is waaay premature to speculate on the chances of his staying.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I agree with Juan, four years is too far away to be speculating. Am I the only person that doubts that MJ will still be playing GM in 4 years?

------------------

6. Steve

Steve Member

Washington wouldnt be his team cuz Strickland is there Point and they dont have cap space"

------------------
    I dont have one but ..............................maybe later:)

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

8. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

This all sounds a little too paranoid to me, but here's my take on the situation anyway:-

1) Francis has a;ready shown that he can and will demand a trade, but from Vancouver? He was going to have to play in Canada (tax issues), and out of position (SG). In four years time, he will be totally embedded in this team. In year one, Rudy has already shown willing to draw up most of the team plays around him (and we still possess THE franchise player, Dream), and all of our moves on trades and drafts are to fit in with his game. Whoever, and wherever he is supposed to go (Jordan still at Washington in four years ... maybe) there would still be a great deal of work to make him fit as well as he will do here in another four years. Franchise players haven't moved teams very much in the past ten years, except under exceptional circumstances (like the team being dismantled, or personality clashes). These problems are unlikely to occur in Houston, with a willing owner, and a players' coach. I don't want to speak to soon, but I'm not overly worried about keeping Stevie, I think he's a lock-in, especially when you take into account the climate [​IMG]

------------------

9. BobbyWarren

BobbyWarren Member

I would definately have to agree with GBRocksFan. For Steve to bolt after his contract is up here, it would take something catastrophic. Really, Steve is the number one priority on the team and we would be able to pay him more than any other team.

<OFF-TOPIC TANGENT>But this thread did make me wonder... when will Washington have any free cap space? I really do hope that MJ is given the chance to do something with that franchise when he actually has the cap space to be more effective as a GM. Right now, he's pretty much handcuffed by the trio of bloated contracts (Richmond, Howard, Stickland) </OTT>

------------------