1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When healthy, Rockets prepared to take off, Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Apr 3, 2010.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/basket...03/when_healthy_rockets_prepared_to_take_off/

When healthy, Rockets prepared to take off
    By Gary Washburn
    Globe Staff / April 3, 2010

The Houston team that defeated the Celtics, 119-114, in overtime last night at TD Garden was stuck in third gear because of injuries. While the Rockets continue to play hard, grinding out the final games of the season although they were eliminated from the playoff race weeks ago, they wait for better days and better health.

Yao Ming has been out all season but is expected to return from a fractured left foot next season. His presence, along with point guard Aaron Brooks, shooting guard Kevin Martin, and versatile forward Trevor Ariza has sparked excitement in Houston, hopefully overshadowing the disappointment that clouded the Tracy McGrady era.

The Rockets finally dumped McGrady, his aging legs and his league-high salary on the Knicks and acquired Martin, rookie forward Jordan Hill, and veteran Jared Jeffries. The McGrady trade ended a painful stretch of unfulfilled expectations and first-round playoff eliminations for the Rockets organization. The lone time the Rockets advanced past the first round of the playoffs during McGrady’s tenure was last season, when he was injured.

And the Rockets played so well this season in his absence they did not want him to return when his surgically repaired right knee healed. Finally, he was told to stay home, continue to train, and wait for a trade. Rockets general manager Daryl Morey then drastically changed the roster, preparing for Yao’s return.

“This team with its youth really could have benefited from Yao being around on the court,’’ veteran forward Shane Battier.

“He is the hardest worker. He doesn’t make excuses. He is the greatest teammate. One of the biggest travesties is that our young guys didn’t get to see what being an All-Star and professional is at the highest level.’’

The Rockets expect to be part of the playoff mix next season.

“If you put all the names down on paper, it looks good, paper is one thing,’’ coach Rick Adelman said. “You have to wait and see but we’re hoping to get Yao back. If we get him back with some of the young guys we have, we think we can be pretty good. But that’s a lot of ifs out there.

“We certainly think if Yao comes back healthy, we’re going to be as good as anybody.’’

In Yao’s absence, other Houston weapons have flourished and gained confidence, especially budding star Brooks, who burned the Celtics for 30 points and has joined Rajon Rondo, Tyreke Evans, and Brandon Jennings as the new generation of standout point guards.

Martin, who didn’t play last night because of a left shoulder sprain, carried the Kings on his slight shoulders for five years. He is not quite an All-Star-caliber guard, but the Rockets don’t need him to be. They need him to score and fit into their defensive concept.

Yao will make such a difference defensively and Ariza will check the best opposing scorer that Houston could emerge as one of the league’s better defensive teams. The players can’t help but look forward to next season.

“Ever since the trade went down, I’ve been very excited,’’ Martin said. “I needed a change of scenery. When Yao comes back next year we have the talent and are primed to make a big run. That’s all I can ask for, going into the peak of my NBA career.’’

Martin still has to prove he can produce on a winning team. He put up impressive numbers in Sacramento but was left off the playoff roster his rookie season (2004-05) and never led the Kings to a postseason series win.

“We should have a team next year where we shouldn’t have any excuses about how tough the Western Conference is,’’ Martin said. “We should be there if we can stay healthy, and that’s the big thing.’’

The mammoth left foot of Yao could determine whether Houston reaches a championship-caliber level. But as the Rockets showed last night, they are talented, even with Battier, Martin, and Ariza on the sideline.

As Celtics coach Doc Rivers noted this week, the Rockets play very hard, a reflection on Adelman. And if they can mix that work ethic with renewed vigor and healing bodies, then the McGrady era will indeed be in the rearview mirror.

There has been uncertainty whether Yao would opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent, but coming off a severe injury, it’s likely he will play with the Rockets (for $17 million).

“It’s been an injury-filled year, a lot of adversity, but all things considered, not a half-bad year,’’ Battier said. “Optimism is strong. We have talent. We have great young pieces who are proven but it would be nice to have a stretch to see what everyone could do with a full team.’’

Gary Washburn can be reached at gwashburn@globe.com.

2. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

The one thing that strikes my mind about this article is that we really don't need to acquire anything in this free agency. We have played the majority of this season WITHOUT Yao and Kevin Martin. Realistically, any other team would be thrilled to have two high quality starting players being added to their roster. Morey's also set up the future with high picks from NY and a potential lottery pick coming up this year which we can deal or choose to keep.

This season with our best players out, our role players have stepped it up a notch. Aaron Brooks has been recognised as a high quality PG, Budinger can hold his own and is already producing, Lowry is young and still improving his game, Scola has stepped up big time after the Landry trade (which I had doubts with at first; but again Morey has done a magnificent job) and Jordan Hill is starting to step into Landry's shoes.

So to sum it all up, the point I'm trying to make is that we can pretend that we have just acquired Yao and Martin for the start of next season. We know who we are without them (a borderline playoff team and a good one at that). This year in reality may have been a blessing in disguise. Almost all our players have higher trade value which Morey can take advantage of to make the right acquisition. Yao will be fresh, the team has the off season and pre-season to gel and our role players are as good as any in the league. Championship run? You betcha. GO ROCKETS

1 person likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

"When healthy, Rockets prepared to take off..."

One day....one day :(

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like that has what we have said for 10 years doesn't it?

:(

I'm just happy to watch team Arizona kick ass on the Rox!!!
    :grin:

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I enjoyed reading the article, but watching the game I came to a different conclusion: George Hill and the rest of the teams who have been thumping the Rox of late have employed one simple formula: drive the lane. Lay-up drills. Slam dunks. Rocket emasculation.

The C's played perimeter.

Lopez thunked the Rox for NJ early, then stopped seeing the ball. That has been a pattern right thru Perkins early last nite. Drive the middle or shoot over Hayes.

The C's played perimeter.

The Rox need Yao. Of course. Then they need another 4/5 defender (JO'Neal, anyone?).

The future may look rosy, but question: who does NOT make the play-offs '11 in the West? Besides Kings and Wolves, that is. Who dances; who goes plays ping-pong?

6. MONON

MONON Member

It's nice to get some reps from the Boston media! As for xiki's question about who misses the playoff next year, that's a tough one. 3 or 4 very good teams will get left out in the west next year. It's possibly that a 50 win team could get the 1st pick in the draft.

7. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I swear im starting to think the word healthy and Houston Rockets should never be in the same sentence

8. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Lets see...
    Lakers, Mavericks, Nuggets, Rockets, Spurs, Thunder, Trail Blazers, Utah

I see the suns, hornets, memphis and the clippers all fighting for a seed still.
    3-10 spots are all up for grabs in the west. I think the Mavs and Lakers will still top the west.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

In all probability, only if there weren't an eastern conference bracket. :grin:

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I hope to see an increased commitment to defense next year.

A offense in the top 10 and defense top 5 would be magical.

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Missing from this article: Scola.

12. dartherus

dartherus Member

+1 terrible mistake....Martin (who didn't even play) and Ariza named and not Luis....Even last year Morey said that Scola was the Rocket's MVP of the playoffs, now that he had more playing time, his name is ommited? 28pts 11 rebs 5 asists not noticed?

13. dartherus

dartherus Member

Rockets could get an upgrade to KMart (Joe Johnson, Igoudala?), by convincing other team to agree to a trade and throwing a draft pick to ease the trade...don't you think?

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

imo, iguodala is not an upgrade to martin.......joe johnson on the other hand, YES

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Neither Johnson nor Iggy are an upgrade to Martin. However, either one of them would be an upgrade to what we have at SF.

16. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I do see the Rockets winning at least 50 games next year. However, we don't get to trade picks with NY if thier pick is in the top 3. So I do see a 50 win team getting the 4th pick in the draft. :cool:

17. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

IMHO, J Johnson > Martin, but Iggy < Martin.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Joe Johnson is not very efficient which is why he is a sidegrade to Martin at most. He's a better defender, rebounder, and dishes more assists, but it takes him 18 shots to score 21 points, which is less efficient than even Aaron Brooks. Basically we'd be trading scoring for a more well-rounded player. Sidegrade.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised. Maybe the cat had a word limit. (insert "roll-eyes" here)

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ain't that a scarey - but real - thought!