1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Harden is on the floor and russ is not , do we need to configure a big man(Hartenstein?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 疯狂伊文戴德蒙, Mar 3, 2020.

1. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

Clint's departure unlocks Russ,when Russ holds the ball, there are four players who can shoot three points on the field, which can help him open up the ultimate open space, and play Russ's advantages to the fullest,Russ is playing his best efficiency and performance in his career。

But on the other hand, I think Harden has made a lot of efforts. There is no Clint's threat to the basket in the paint area, and the opponent can come up to intercept Harden's breakthrough with impunity. That's why every breakthrough of Harden is more difficult than before. Therefore, I always think when Harden is alone, we should configure a center for him(I think we can try Hartenstein), and when Harden is off the floor When russ came on, we switched back to the small ball team.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hartenstein is on a good way, I am not sure if he can be deployed against a Top team like the Clippers or Milwaukee but surely against teams like the Knicks.

Wished Hartenstein was Capela lite right now.

疯狂伊文戴德蒙 likes this.
  3. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

I agree with you. I really appreciate this hardworking German boy. He has a strong physique and good finishing ability. Harden is a natural feeding-center expert. Like last night's game,I think he can get at least 15 points and 15 rebounds with the help of Harden

Bo6, deb4rockets and daywalker02 like this.
  4. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

I don't understand why MDA doesn't like to use this big boy. I think he can make a good performance in a controllable error making space

PeterKingX and deb4rockets like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden not being an explosive finisher really relied on Clint's lob threat to make defenders not fully commit to him. Now they do and now he's getting swatted.

Mr. Dominant, JW86, amaru and 3 others like this.
  6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Interesting thought but my gut says no

We either believer in small or we don't

Overall, it has worked well and we should be better with a bit more time

Harden is new to this and still learning

Green got 0 rebounds in 12 mins of play last night and I think if have just got 2-3 def rebounds we would have won

Too early to talk about this. Let the team ride this out through playoffs and can re-evaluate during the off season but I think we will be fine

Go Rockets!

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Extend the 'lineup

Reduce Harden's. Minutes.

Rocket River

solid, PhiSlamma15 and RustyHarden like this.
  8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i bet harty makes a lot of head scratching mistakes in practice.

but yeah i don't think it's asking much to run him the 10-15 minutes that russ isn't on the floor.

pr0wler and RustyHarden like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope

HP3 likes this.
  10. rockets13champs

We should atleast our Tyson on the floor when harden is alone with 2nd unit at certain times

RustyHarden likes this.
  11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

This is where you lose any type of credibility. Everything is Hardens fault or due to his shortcomings.
    Now let’s discuss what the Knicks defensively that caused issues. After the third quarter I counted 6 illegal 3 second violations that weren’t called. Robinson, Gibson and Randle would run to the paint and literally camp.
    I stopped counting after that, they also left PJ wide open and again shaded Westbrook or Harden in the paint (illegal and not guarding anyone). Harden even point at the paint and yells at the refs pointing out the Illegal D MD did as well.
    Now if a team is giving you that corner three we have to have someone who’s gonna hit that shot.
    Secondly the shooter on the corner cannot cut across (BMac was guilty of this) you have to pull the ball back and get that illegal D call.
    Knicks also never got a 3 second violation on offense, hate to say it but they bet the refs wouldn’t make those call and they were correct.

RyanB, D-rock, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You really are aggressive huh. Those observations you just made are not mutually exclusive to the fact that Harden really relied on the lob threat to have defenders not fully commit to Harden to make it easier for him to finish around the paint.

He's really been struggling not only in this Knicks game but for the past few weeks with finishing around the rim. I've noticed his attempts at the rim getting blocked far more often.

Unlike Westbrook, he benefits from having a rim running big man rolling to the rim. Chandler might help with that during the minutes that Westbrook is on the bench and Harden is on the court.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

RyanB and D-rock like this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unfortunately, the way this team is constructed is gonna be far more vulnerable to upsets than usual. We absolutely have to have high effort and focus, or else even a bad team can tear us up on the boards.

It would be very nice if we could still play Capela for 20-25 minutes every game when needed, but he had to go because our owner gave Morey no alternatives.

daywalker02 and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Totally agree with this. Someone on here (don't remember who) posted a huge breakdown of rockets lineups where we could see with/without Harden, Westbrook, Centers, or non-center lineups. Westbrook, obviously, thrived in the non center lineups. But if you look at situations where Harden is on and Westbrook is off, Harden actually did best with a traditional center next to him (Hart, Capela, and Tyson) compared to small ball, from what I remember. It does seem like he's getting blocked more, and having more trouble at the rim, especially compared to the super speed of Westbrook.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Wouldn’t have mattered this game offensively. rebounding wise yes a big would have helped but the way the had the paint clogged( illegally) you had 3 players in there at times. They key to break that is of course Harden gets out of his funk or we have PJ hitting that corner 3 consistently.

HP3, MONON and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

Nothing is worse than losing 30 rebounds..o_O

deb4rockets, daywalker02 and Blurr#7 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harty would have mitigated it to 21? 31 are just hard to come by.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Since going small with Harden on and Westbrook off the teams net rating is over 10

No problem there.

RyanB, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think the more options you give Harden, the better, but this has been his 2nd best season at the rim ever. 66% this year. This year, like last year have been a slight dip in percentage of shots at the rim, but not a huge drop off.

In his previous seasons in Houston combined he has gotten a shot blocked 1.2 times per game. This season it’s up to 1.4 shots blocked per game.

D-rock and HP3 like this.