1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you realize you were OFFICIALLY old?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SleepyRodriguez, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And real really old people piss themselves due to incontinence.

don grahamleone and Jontro like this.
  2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

*Butt dialed post deleted*

3. Nook

Nook Member

Not me but a really good friend.

He is 4 years older than me and really has great luck with women and good looks, money, education and charisma.

He is finally engaged and it dawned on me that the woman he is engaged to is literally half his age.... he 47 and she is 24... he is so old that he can be engaged to someone half his age and she is an adult.

She only speaks French, but when I explained it to her she laughed.

I also felt old when recently, for the first time there was a teenager that is a family friend that I just couldn’t relate to. I tried... I felt like Red from That 70’s Show... I was certain he was gay, nope, just soft and sensitive and into cats and musicals.

TWS1986, Yung-T, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

No way I could date someone in their 20's at my age.

Nook likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Half your age plus 7

There is something about a really well put-together 30/40ish woman who takes care of herself. Crazy fun.

Nook, Deckard, body slam and 2 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

He wants different things from his fiancée than most of us do. He has friends and a strong social life, he has a rewarding career... he wants a very attractive wife that acts young and spends her days doing frivolous things and is exciting and wants to go out all the time... she also likes older men.

I personally want different things from a wife....very different.

xaos likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

There is something about a strong and confident woman

Deckard, xaos and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. BleedsRocketRed

I am currently in the last year of my 30's.

Next year will feel... Interesting. (turning 40)

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

When I go to Office Depot to get a rainbow sequence of colored folders for my itinerary, departure boarding pass, rental car reservation, hotel reservation, appointment email or attraction webpage printout and return boarding pass. Or when my manager and some MBA intern were talking about video games during some long drive on a branch office visit; and I kept wishing I was driving us on a bridge across a King's Quest chasm.

Nook likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

just saw my grandparents the other day...my grandpa is 89, and my grandma is 86, and man, I really hope I’m like them if I get to that age

they can still get around on their own, make their own food, wash themselves and use the bathroom on their own, do their own laundry, etc...they order their groceries online and have them delivered...they watch game shows and play Scrabble a lot to keep their mind sharp, and they also love watching soccer and tennis...they still go to church every Sunday

my fear is ending up becoming entirely dependent on others for everything, losing my mind to dementia, and overall just becoming a shell of myself...it would be a sad way to live which is why I try to be as active and healthy as I can

11. Buck Turgidson

You could have just stopped that post right there.

Yung-T, Nook, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

No fear, just love.

Spend as much time as you can with them. Talk to them about things that happened when they were young, and when you were young. Take care of your people.

I'm getting to the end with my grandmother, she's all of 93. I honestly don't know what to say because I honestly don't know what to say.

You do Scrabble, I take her over to the piano and get her started playing. She gets embarrassed because she "can't play as good as I used to".

Deckard and Pipe like this.
  13. SemisolidSnake

I'm 35, but I feel like I'm pretty much used up already. Physically, I'm generally okay. Mentally, I'm cashed. 12 years of working for my dad has been enough trauma for a lifetime. You'll just have to trust me on that unless you want 30,000 words backing it up. Small businesses are hell. Oh, and my ex worked with me for the last 9 of those years, though we were only together for the first 6 of those 9. My brain's just worn out well beyond its years.

don grahamleone and TWS1986 like this.
  14. TheresTheDagger

I was visiting my 12 year older brother who I get to see about once every year or 2. During a conversation with him, I was complaining about having trouble seeing small print especially at work where it was interfering.

He said "About damn time. Welcome to old. p.s. Buy some readers.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I try to call them as often as possible, and thank God they’re still socially active and we have family that’s able to visit them quite often so they’re not lonely

getting old does scare me tho, I’m not gonna lie

16. Buck Turgidson

You're a good man, and I mean that.

One of the only reasons I live where I do right now is to take care of about 3 old widow ladies: granny (93), my mom, and my aunt (they're fine they just constantly want me to do **** for them) Seeing the older generation just sitting there with nobody, it really breaks my heart (along those lines, anybody who would just dump their family in a home and drive away to never see them again.....I don't even know what to say about those kind of people). All they want is for somebody to talk to them and hear what they have to say, just for a little bit. They have great stories, too, you just have to get them going.

glynch, Yung-T, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

so true...mine love telling me stories about how bad I was as a little kid lol, and I can always get them to laugh when I bring up that annoying ass cat they used to have back in the day

Yung-T, Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

1. When the kids are at the grandparents for a sleepover and all the wife and I want to do after dinner is go home and relax instead of going out to a night spot.
    2. When you suddenly realize you are saying the same stuff to your kids that your parents said to you as a kid.
    3. When you wake up in the morning and have aches and pains in your body and don't know why.

Yung-T, Deckard and ima_drummer2k like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

It's summertime, right? How often do parents do this, and for how long?

When I was a kid I got dropped off for about 2 months. That was my "camp".

20. Buck Turgidson

Oh, also:

When I started keeping track of how much rain was in the rain gauge. And asked other people "How much rain did you get?"

This may be a Hill Country thing, though.

TheresTheDagger likes this.