1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what's your feelings on this...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pocketrocket81, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well because no one knows who chose Osweiler.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

This franchise isn't totally transparent so we are left trying to figure out who to blame based on rumors and "leaks". I think the comparison with the Falcons is very good. Both GMs have been there 8-10 years. Both hired new head coaches in the last three years. Both head coaches were looking pretty bad in their specialty but were saved by the coordinator on the other side (O'Brien's an offense guy and the offense stinks; Quinn was a defensive guy and the defense was bad up until this year when it is just decent). Both head coaches are firey guys who are loved by the players. Maybe the Texans are just one year away.

3. the shark

the shark Member

Their division has been THE worst in the NFL for a few yrs now so making the playoffs isn't that big of a deal.

They beat the Raiders in playoffs this yr without Carr.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with anyone who thinks that Smith should still be the Texans GM.

That said, as I've stated, Smith is who he is, and the problem is starts with McNair.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

The worst? I thought you didn't care what other teams were doing? :) I don't think there is any team in the NFL that will agree that making the playoff isn't a big deal. Even the Patriots who have won their division for like 26 seasons in a row, have said they don't take it for granted.

The problem starts with us not knowing who the problem starts with. I understand the frustration; it just needs to be fair. Blame Rick Smith. He deserves blame; but also give him credit where credit is due. They had one of the worst QB play this season (blame), but had one of the best defenses in the league (credit).

5. raining threes

In OB's season ending press conference he said Smith was in charge of FA/Draft. Although I'm sure Smith asks for input from the coaching staff before setting his draft board. Ultimately aquiring new talent falls on Smith. This is where the rumors of OB wanting to leave came from. He wants more say on the personnel side.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Mr. Clutch

Except he already he has plenty of say. It was reported that he had most of the say when he was hired. Just like Kubiak did.

Smith just isn't a guy who wants the responsibility anyway. He's got his safe job sitting next to the owner.

Now maybe OBrien wants a better GM to help him, or they stripped him of some power this year after 2 years of lousy offense. I can see that. But considering that the draft we just had (all speed for OBrien's offense) I doubt it

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

There's a reason HOU and CLE are neck-and-neck for worst sports city.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL SMH.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm not there so I'm not speaking from experience but it seems the way it is done that the coaches tell the GM/Scouts what they want/need and prioritize. The GM comes back to the coaches and asks "will these guys work?" So even though Smith might be in charge of FA and draft; he is just getting the guys based on what the coaches say they need. The coaches don't have time to scout other teams and college seniors and the scouts/GM don't spend enough time with the current players to know if a guy is going to work out or not.

The scouts do all the work anyway so it's just a matter of if you trust the people you hired.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't believe they're under any obligation to share with the public how their football operations work, are they? I'm sure they're very aware of who did what.

13. Mr. Clutch

No, but it seems to be a point of contention with two coaches now

14. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Do we know for sure that it is?

16. Mr. Clutch

Well what was all that stuff coming out the week before the round 2 game?

17. raining threes

He wants a GM that shares the same vision as he does when it comes to aquiring talent.

In short OB doesn't trust Smith and he shouldn't given how Kubiak's tenure ended.

18. raining threes

Agreed

Apparently OB doesn't like the players Smith/Scouts are giving him to choose from and he doesn't trust Smith. Frankly I dont blame him

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Random speculation, started by a Jay Glazer musing. All parties involved denied it.

Nimo likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

They were actual leaks