1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what's your feelings on this...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pocketrocket81, Jan 24, 2017.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Shiloh F*ucking Keo

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

So is it that he hasn't built a team to compete for a super bowl or is it that they have issues at QB? You can have one without the other.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Pretty sure that every team in the league can make a list of players and coaches who went on to appear in and/or win Superbowls after moving on.

4. the shark

the shark Member

BOTH!!!

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Denver. That's all the teams that have competed for the super bowl out of the AFC since Rick joined the team. 5 out of 16 teams in about 10 years. According to you, 11 teams have failed as well.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Oh if only Dimitroff had been fired in Atlanta.

7. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

They have a QB, and Dan Quinn has final say on the roster.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-new-coach-dan-quinn-final-say-53-man-roster

If/when O'Brien is no longer the coach, Rick Smith does not deserve to get the chance to work with a 3rd head coach.

Why do you always argue for Rick Smith whenever the arrows are slung his way? Does D Cal McNair grease your wheels too?

8. the shark

the shark Member

I don't give a rats ass what any other team has done during that time frame. I care about the Texans and if you think Smith has done a great job you go ahead and keep on believing that.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

They've had a QB. Long before Quin got there and didn't get their first playoff win with him until 2012. The second one wasn't until a couple weeks ago. Think about this; coming into this season, Matt Schaub had the same number of playoff wins as Matt Ryan did. Dimitroff was rumored to be on the hot seat. Some were upset the team didn't change both HC and GM when they brought DQ in 2015. Then they choked again last year starting out hot and then missing the playoffs. Rick Smith's team was doing just as well as his.

Most coaches have final say on the roster with some exceptions. O'Brien might not pick who comes to camp but he gets to pick who makes the team on there. Plus Dan Quinn just got there. Dimitrof has been there since 2008.

I've posted it before and I don't mind saying it again; I don't care if Rick Smith gets fired. He is not the best GM ever so he can be upgraded. I just get tired of everyone using him as a scape-goat and giving others in the organization a pass. If you blame him for the lack of offense, then you have to give him credit for the players on the #1 defense. If you say it's the coaches that deserve credit for the defense, then they should also deserve blame for the offense. Rick Smith brought Clowney and Brock, for example. Both decisions were met with a lot of scrutiny. Once has worked out like a charm and the other not so much. As much as I hate the offense (and I hope they get it fixed and they get their QB), I also love the defense (and I hope they keep improving)

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Unfortunately, this isn't an exhibition. The Texans have to compete against other teams so what other teams are doing matters.

I guess it depends on how you define good. He is ranked by most experts as slightly above average. Can the Texans do better, absolutely. And if McNair knows he can get a better GM in here, he should do it.

I think Smith gets an unfair rap. Everything good the team accomplishes, we want to credit someone else. Everything that is a failure, we want to blame Rick Smith. Doesn't make sense to me.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think Smith is terrible. He's just not good.

#31 coachbadlee, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  12. the shark

the shark Member

Smith has been the GM since 2006.
    What have the Texans accomplished during this time frame?
    They've NEVER made a deep run in the playoffs (conference champ/SB).

When you have to say "depends on how you define good" that tells me all I need to know about the job old Rick has done.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Crap. I have to agree with Bobby. This thread is a waste of bandwidth. Every single team in the history of sports has players that left and contributed to the success of other championship teams. Are people really bummed that Matt Schaub in 2017 is getting a chance to win a ring? I didn't even know he was on the team (let alone still in football) until this was brought up to me a couple of days ago.

The only one that stung even a little was Kubiak. He backed into a great defense and won a game with a team almost completely built by others with only 1 season in between having destroyed the Texans.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bobby used to post about Mallet playing for the Ravens in Texans game threads until it was undeniable he completely sucked.

It's a problem that the owner and FO can't make good hiring decisions. The owner builds a poor front office with no clear line of authority and it gets filtered down to the dumb FA signings (Osweiler) and draft day trades (Nix and Strong).

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

2007, actually. 10 seasons.

Four trips to the playoffs and only two losing seasons. I'm not going to argue they should clear a wing in Canton - but that's certainly nowhere near below average.

Unfortunately, they've failed to secure the single most important position - and that's held them back. He certainly deserves criticism for that. But beyond QB, they have a talented roster.

Nimo likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

IMO, that was mostly Kubiak, who brought along Rick as his assistant GM

17. Hey Now!

This goes back to Nimo's central complaint, which i agree with... if something good happens, it's everyone BUT Rick Smith; if something bad happens... it's definitely Rick Smith.

And that's not fair. We have to be consistent in our approach to how we evaluate these guys.

Nimo likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

True, and it's up to McNair to set up an FO where it's clear who has responsibility. This situation where people leak blame on each other isn't working

19. Hey Now!

Why do you assume he hasn't?

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah. What @Hey Now! said. And I would add up until this season, neither had the Falcons. If that is your margin for success then all but like 8 GMs should be replaced.