1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's up with people thinking Yao can't play in Rick's offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 28, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, I'll forgive some people for not knowing or remembering the Olajuwon days, but this is stupid. I'm doubting some people ever watching last season's playoffs. Before people start rambling about how we lost to the Lakers with Yao, let's not forget the Lakers won the championship, so it's not like we lost to a team we were suppose to beat (Utah).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VuqHOs0u4Fk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VuqHOs0u4Fk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The uneducated NBA Fan forgets that Rick Adelman has coached slow bigs.

Vlade Divac[​IMG]

Kevin Duckworth[​IMG]

These dudes are just as slow as Yao.

IF YAO FITS,
    YOU MUST QUIT (hating)

2. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

According to some people here, Adelman's Offense = D'Antoni's Offense.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Yao can fit if our team does better with swing passes since when the D fronts Yao, he's basically useless by himself and AB can't make a good entry pass to save his life.

4. amaru

amaru Member

Yao won't fit unless this team can learn how to make a decent entry pass consistently.

I've only seen two players on this team do that consistently......Battier and he who shall not be named.

5. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

I know you're not talking specifically about me in this thread, but since I said something like that, I
    didn't say that Yao can't fit in with this style of play, I said that if Yao is able to fit in, Tracy is too.
    I think Yao can fit in with the "motion offense" style of playing we have right now, but I also think
    McGrady can fit in too.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this is what i dont get either

the showtime lakers had an even more fast break team than the current rockets and they had an aging kareem on that team who was a central piece to their offense.

its really quite simple the team runs out and tries to score an early bucket..if its not there there comes Yao up the court they set up a half court offense where they can still cut and move around and play off of yao who is a good passer himself.

more importantly Yao will do whatever he can to help the team if it means even playing less to do so he will

1 person likes this.
  7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The only thing Yao needs to learn to do is outlet pass a bit faster.... other than that he can trail the play and it should be just fine.

8. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Pretty much, we don't run the same type of offense the Phoenix Suns ran when they had Shaq on their team, ours is a bit slower but we play much better defense, much better. As Yoyo mentioned, Kareem did the same thing with the Showtime Lakers.

I honestly think it's just Tmac fans trying to make a point saying oh well Yao can't do it either so let's just keep Tmac.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'd have to disagree. Look at the things that have allowed us to be successful:

defense - Yao provides us with a last line of defense and shuts down the lane. Those are things that we don't have today. He should make us enen better. McGrady has never given consistent effort on defense.

running game - Yao is one of the best defensive rebounders in the league and should be able to trigger our running game. That's all you expect your center to do in the fast break game. Even in his prime McGrady never ran, he was always a half court player.

Ball movement/sharing the ball - Yao doesn't dominat the ball. In fact, the biggest complaints have been that Yao didn't get enough touches. McGrady dominates the ball and kills ball movement.

I don't see anything that the Rockets are doing today that they can't do as well or better with Yao. I can't say the same thing for McGrady. When McGrady is on the floor the ball goes through him and we are a walk it up team. That's very different from how we currently play.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its a minor concern, the more pressing one is will Yao be able to play in anyones offense.

12. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Reality is, Yao is much more trust-worthy then Tmac ever was in his career. Yao is more than likely take a bullet for your team, while Tmac is more than likely going to stab your team in the back.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand people's concern with his health.

But last season Yao was extremely productive. His field goal % went up from 50% to 54% in Rick's offense.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mingya01.html

19 points, 10 boards, at 54%

Yeah he 'fits'

14. caneks

caneks Rookie

There is a possibility for that.
    There is nothing wrong to address potential issues.

15. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Yao can play Adelman offense but he will be a waste of talent. Adelman try to run his offense before with Yao but it was a disaster so he will have to modified for Yao just like Phil did on LA for Shaq.

Unless you want to get Vlade Divac or Kevin Duckworth production out of Yao, what will be a waste of talent.

16. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Yao didn't play Rick offense it was a modified version, he actually play Yao a lot like standard inside outside offense with some wrinkles, but nothing like High port triangles hard cut, moving without the ball motion offense.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My personal philosophy is to take a system and go FULL out. Commit to RA and his system and run with it.

I advocate trading Yao when his value his high for pieces that fit this team perfectly.

I like Yao, I think he is a great player, I like having him on the team, but I think the how easily he can be exploited coupled with his health is a HUGE concern going forward.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Bc Yao said so himself and he hopes there will be a compromise between the two styles, his and adelman's

19. Yetti

20. Yetti

In the 7.5 mins of playing time alotted to Mc Grady he didn't play like you are suggesting, he played within the game plan. Yes he did !!
    So you are incorrect !! McGrady was willing to change and do what ever was required of him. Adelman just didn't want him!! :p