1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the deal with Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jet036, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

People keep posting that a trade is in the works for Asik but I can't find any threads or other posts that specify what they're talking about. I read a post that was mentioning something about the Pelicans and picks but I haven't been able to figure out much else. What are the exact specifications of this trade? Is it still in the works?

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

The deal is still in the works because the Pelicans need to clear the necessary cap room to make room for Asik. Also, due to the latest "unforseen" developments with Bosh and trading away Lin, the Rockets may be working to restructure the trade to include other pieces (like Ryan Anderson) or use Asik in a 3 way trade with the Pelicans to acquire another player.

The process is still fluid...and for now, that works to our benefit given the latest developments.

1 person likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Thanks. What were the terms of the original trade through?

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say it's more of the latter. The Pelicans needed to clear out cap room because the Rockets were in no position to take back any salaries. That is no longer the case. The Rockets could now take a player back from the Pelicans and this would be a done deal. The hold-up is that Morey is trying to work it into a mult-team deal where the Rockets get a valuable player before matching Parsons.

But what we would be getting from the Pelicans would be a pick guaranteed in the 5-19 range (IIRC).

1 person likes this.
  6. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Asik + cash for the Pelicans 1st rounder in 2016 (4-19) and presumably some fillers (non-guaranteed contracts) from the Pelicans. The deal was just 'agreed to' but never formalized, is my understanding. So the details of the deal have never been officially announced or revealed...I'm guessing it will look different than originally thought. Should go down soon.

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of the hold-up may be that the player the Pelicans were reportedly looking to move to clear space for Asik is Melvin Ely, who can't be traded until tomorrow.

If I were in the Rockets situation, I would make it a three-way trade where we take Boozer from Chicago, give the Pelicans Asik and either Houston or Chicago can take Ely. Then the Rockets could match Parsons' offer.

While I don't think Boozer is much better than Jones, it would give us some pretty consistent offense at the PF position and the Rockets would have a significant expiring contract to work with at the deadline. I looks like one of the only ways for Morey to save face in this debacle.

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Boozer hahahahha (Shao Kahn: don't make me laugh!)