1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's our coaching situation ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jul 2, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

question is the title.

I know MDA is still on the last year of his contract . I know we've fired several guys .

The only name I see that we've brought in is Elston Turner .

We lost our G-league head coach .

What is going on ?

Are we going to bring in more guys ? Is MDA gonna coach on a 1-year deal ? Will that effect his decision making if he is openly coaching for a job next year ?

I'm a bit worried .

On the one hand ... a guy like MDA (who tends to shrink his rotation when he's in a tough spot ) trying to maximize wins seems like a disaster waiting to happen . (As in he's gonna push a core piece too hard and that will result in injury)

So you might wanna give him an extension so he's at least a bit forward looking . He's got no reason to try and develop hartenstein or Clark if he's not gonna be here next year

On the other hand .... if you don't believe in MDA you definitely don't wanna extend him , but you also might think that bringing in a new coach is too much of a shake up and you think you'd be better off this year with MDA .

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You should just ask Chris Paul

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don't have a way to contact him . Can you ask for me ?

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can’t because it’s a Chris Paul only meeting

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

A question free agents may be asking as they decide where to continue their careers.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

MDA is a good coach,excellent Guard User + Guard Potential Developer.
    On the other hand, his on-the-spot adaptability is very poor, time-out he didn't use up in every game was probably used to buy financial products.
    Whenever the opponent climaxes to find confidence, he always looks indifferent, as if to tell others, "I have two HOF point guards, so I don't need time-out at all."

I always think our real coach is Daryl Morey, a mathematician who has never really played basketball, and MDA is just a puppet who implements Morey's magic ball tactics (MDA will be dismissed immediately if he doesn't do so).

Our team's tactical board is poor, attack basket + three-point ball + Harden 1v1 or pass / CP3 1v1 or pass. Only because Morey thought that the so-called 50% perimeter shot earned less than 33% of the three-point shot, so we ridiculously castrated our perimeter shot, only Harden or CP3 can perimeter shot.(Help your opponent open-book exam ......lol)

Harden's perimeter shot was very good several seasons ago. Now, he would rather shoot a very uncomfortable three-point shot than pursue a relaxed perimeter shot.

Morey never understood the simplest truth:
    Three-point scoring is more than two-point scoring, but it's only one point more.
    The three-point ball was thrown into the meeting + 3, if not + 0.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

MDA's system may have been a drawing point in the past , play fast-pace to boost your stats .... but we don't play fast anymore.

Unless you are a center you better shoot the 3 well , or you aren't gonna play . In fact you better LOVE shooting the 3 ... because standing in a corner and shooting is what you're gonna be doing .

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I disagree

I think MDA has control .

Morey doesn't have the power to tell a 70 year old man who been coaching for 20+ years what to do .... and MDA just takes it .

The "spam one strategy is MDA through and through"

Morey should know game-theory well enough to understand the value of mid-range jumpshots as the game winds down .

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

What Mda need to understand is if the 3pt shots are not falling you goto a new game plan. That' s not just layup drills, because teams with big men are gonna stop that. You goto chris paul pick n rolls, where he lays down that midrange shot, and you find another slasher like eric gordon to go to the line. They really need to find someone who has mid range shot, when those 3pts are not falling.

cheke64 likes this.
  10. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

We need to bring back my man

[​IMG]

snowconeman22 and jerryclark like this.
  11. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

JB is a good defensive assistant coach, not a good coach.

12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

A legend. Ahead of his time

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

situation?
    We still have MDA... so regular season greatness - followed by post season disappointment...