1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What's Morey worth if he was tradeable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jan 22, 2019.

?

What would it take for you to trade Morey?

1. 1 Top 10 protected 1st

2. 1 unprotected 1st

3. 2 Top 10 protected 1sts

4. 1 Top 10 protected 1st + 1 unprotected 1st

5. 2 unprotected 1sts

6. You kidding? I would need more

7. I would trade him + cash considerations just because Tilman is broke

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This board has always been divisive on Morey's moves since he's been here with the latest critique questioning the revolving door he seemed to have installed for veteran's minimum players.

Clippers sent Boston a 1st Rounder in exchange for Doc Rivers to be their coach not so long ago.

If Morey can be traded in the same manner, what would be your asking price?

Conditions:
    1. We don't know who would replace him at GM but let's assume it's an average level GM
    2. The draft picks we receive can be moved by the incoming GM for the star player Morey has been failing to acquire based on some members of this board
    3. The draft pick positions of the picks we receive would definitely be impacted by the moves Morey makes with his new team...if he can actually make moves since he never does here.
    4. It would be a trade to a team currently in a state of dysfunction. Think Memphis, Chicago, Phoenix, Washington, etc.

2. Voltik

Voltik Member

Morey is the best GM we have had in Rockets history. Him and Harden just have been unfortunate with having a superteam like GSW. I also think he’s one of the better GM in the NBA.

Morey>>>>CD

BTW I didn’t read your post.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Morey is the best GM in the NBA. We are lucky to have him.

That said, when I saw the thread title, I thought the question was about his net worth.

lnchan, topfive, PhilCollins and 4 others like this.
  4. steddinotayto

Thanks I changed the title

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Did you really join in 2001? How? THat would mean you lived through some of the Carroll Dawson years.

and.. If you suffered through the Carroll Dawson years you should have developed the appreciation to see Morey as an untradeable asset of the likes of any superstar player in their prime. Unless you have amnesia.

6. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

The only we can get rid of Morey is we attach our buddy Cash along with him in the trade.

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

Oh I am very appreciative of Morey. There's just discussions lately about the lack of competency/intelligence he has with the moves he's made lately.

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

That's not a discussion among adults. Those are just yapping kids that have no idea how agonizing it is to have an average or truly incompetent GM.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm very glad that we have Daryl Morey locked up for, what, the next 3 years? I just wish that it was a longer deal. He isn't perfect, but who is?

10. steddinotayto

You mean you don't yearn for the days of 7/42 for Cato or the wink wink deal for Mo Taylor?

roslolian likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Average level GM? The problem with a new GM is you don't know if he is good, average or horrible until he ****s up your team.

Case in point Atlanta hired a new GM with a great background from GSW and was part of the team that put all their stars together. He tried to build GSW East in the draft getting players who reminded him of Steph, Klay and Draymond but they all turned out to be busts. Even worse they miss out on Luka who was the generational talent of this draft. How many years did this draft mistake set them back? You can't fire him cuz you don't know if he just made a rookie mistake or he really sucks. So he has another year and another draft which he can potentially screw up again.

Thats why all these posters complaining about Morey are just ignorant, they dontt know how bad it can get. If Morey was fired he would be snatched up by other teams really quickly cuz everybody knows he is very good.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

You talking about Trae Young and Huerter? Yooo, it's not even the end of year 1 yet and you're already calling them busts? Relax.

Agreed that they missed out on Doncic, but it's not like Steph, Klay and Draymond were instantly a superteam.

Pretty ironic that you're plainly stating the Hawks GM messed up their team when you haven't even seen the end result.

jboslett likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

By the nature of the job, you are often wrong and don't succeed and Morey minimizes that pretty well.

Possum likes this.
  14. jcf

jcf Member

Truthfully, wouldn't trade him. The price would be too high to warrant a discussion.

jevjnd likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Young is already a bust except for fan bias for him. Dude just has playmaking but is horrible at everything else, he is a big reason Atlanta has such a bad record in the relatively weak Eastern conference.

Steph, Klay and Draymond weren't instantly a superteam but they didn't shoot 28% from 3 either lol. But you are right it is too soon to call them a bust. Maybe they get better in years 2-5, it would be dumb to fire the Atlanta GM now only to get shown up later on ala The Process. So you keep him around and if he messes up again next year then you are screwed even harder. That's why I'm sticking with Morey for all his faults, it's too big a risk to hire a new GM.

16. Handles

Handles Member

Morey is the man. Huge fan of him. I wouldn’t want any other GM.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think he's above-average but i wouldn't say best. amongst the best i would have to include at least logo west, buford, masai ujiri, and maybe myers. morey i would say belongs in the next tier along with ainge, presti, dennis lindsey and longshot sean marks

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

GS has been bouncing us for many years under Harden's time here.

It was so bad that people are still lurking in the shadows to trade harden.

Fan reaction is still terrible for a guy who made the team w/ the best record last year.

Morey is just doing what he can when he has two superstars locked up with 50+% of the cap. Some mistakes here n there, but no other team outside GS had that magical GM run of winning the title with enough capspace for a snake.

Possum likes this.
  19. Exiled

Exiled Member

Enstein : E = mc'2

Newton : F=ma

Daryl : 3>2

a highly overrated GM

cheke64, snowconeman22 and Mazulis like this.
  20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Danny Ainge, Brad Stevens and Sacramento’s pick.

Jayzers_100 likes this.