1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Michael Beasleys ceiling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James Hardashian, Jul 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]
    Especially in D'Antoni's system. I think he can be legit sixth man of the year and the team’s fourth leading scorer

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Man, I hate it when I agree with you. Especially lately because you've been so negative. But in this case I think you're being really fair. I also think he's an above average rebounder. Not much above that average, just slightly. Like in the serviceable range. If he doesn't move the needle either way, he's the perfect backup player. So 6th man is perfect. I'm just surprised he was in China if he has these skills. There are definitely players on rosters that are worthless and he's far from that.

3. hakeemthagreat

Beasley can ball. Watching him last year I think he can be a 15-17pt scorer this season. I think he can be a more offensive minded Shawn Marion, but will less defense

4. Garner

Garner Member

To ask how high Beasley's ceiling could be is to forget who Beasley is.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Should be a quality scoring 6th man

6. mightybosstone

That's kind of what made Shawn Marion so great—his defensive versatility. But I think you're forgetting how "offensive minded" Marion was in Phoenix. The guy put up between 19 and 22 points per game for five straight seasons. Beasley isn't going to come close to that, and even the 15-17 PPG prediction is probably too lofty.

7. tc0330

tc0330 Member

No ceiling

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

hard to know as he was probably told to score last year, because aside from Harden who else could do it?

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If Beasley gets 20-24 mpg I can see him in the 6th man of the year consideration, Especially if the rockets over achieve and win 50+ games relative to what many are predicting.

I think I'm those minutes he can be a 12-13ppg on 50% and 5 rebounds.

It all comes down to how he defends. If he can understand the team D concepts and play in the scheme, than the lack of passing won't matter because he is a very elite scorer in small stretches.

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

His ceiling is, more or less, to be the forward version of Jamal Crawford.

11. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

his ceiling is high lol get it?

12. James Hardashian

James Hardashian Contributing Member

13. hakeemthagreat

I think you're underestimating Beasley ability to score. The guy has a better offensive game than Marion. Beasley can literally score anytime he wants when given the opportunity. Given MDA's offense and the pace we're going to play, I see Beasley being our 2nd option behind Harden

14. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Beasleys Ceiling?

[​IMG]

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

We have to trust from what we have seen in China and since back, that this is a new Michael Beasley. Same high level of skills, completely different, much improved focus and maturity level.

So you can't judge next year's Beasley based on the yesteryear, problem-riddled Beasley we knew before China. I mean, you can, I just don't think it's fair or accurate.

He is low risk and high reward.

We know D'Antoni's system will be fast-paced with lots of screens. Beasley can run and he is excellent at finishing. He can shoot. Run him off screens, or have him be the open spot up shooter. Have him pick n fade at the 4 spot. I see him as our best scoring option off the bench. Technically Gordon will be our best scoring option off the bench, but going with how Morey called Gordon a "supersub", Beverley will be "starter in name only", but really Gordon will have starter minutes and Beasley has the potential to be our most potent bench weapon.

16. mightybosstone

I heartily disagree. Beasley may offer a little more versatility as a scoring threat, but he is also a far more high volume scorer than Marion was and shows a much poorer comprehension of shot selection. Marion had a career 54.2 percent TS% over his career and peaked around 56-59 percent, which is pretty strong. Beasley, on the other hand, has a career 50.9 percent TS%, which is awful even by a guard's standards, much less a forward.

Now Beasley was much better last season (56.3 percent), but you're talking about a 20-game sample size. I'm sorry, but I don't trust that. And even though he did a much better job of holding on to the ball last season, he's historically been kind of a turnover machine. Marion was also a much better passer and ball handler, and averaged a very respectable 9.7 percent turnover percentage over his career.

17. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Beasley got all the tools to be great player, but he chooses not to.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes, you're spot on. Beasley's a MUCH more capable scorer than Marion, but generally still hasn't figured out how to do it efficiently. If he can keep up what he did last year for the Rockets, that's a step in the right direction for sure.

Can Beasley play SF? He seems to have the ballhandling ability, and can shoot the three, though his % there has been pretty volatile by year. 40% his rookie year on 1 three a game, 38% his 4th year on 2.1 threes a game, but just 31% the following year.

He played no SF for the Rockets last year... maybe that's why he was more efficient?? Maybe that's answering my own question, lol. He's a better offensive mismatch at PF, and thus becomes a more efficient player. I know he's played some SF in the past for other teams. Maybe that's been part of the problem!

19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lmao look at beezs lil peepus

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What a weird comparison.

Marion was a poor three point shooting, highly efficient, insanely athletic, incredibly professional fast breaking monster of a defensive ace.

Not sure that Beasely has any similar traits.