1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's going on with Randalls grocery stores?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Randall's not far from where I live in SW Austin had them for a while, as well. They also took them out after 2-3 years. Couldn't figure out why, since I used them. Now there's a gigantic HEB a lot closer to our house. I still go to Randall's from time to time, because they carry some things that HEB, as huge as the place is, doesn't carry.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

They took out the self check out registers at the one near me after having them for a few years too. The employees at the time said they were being used too often by people to steal stuff. They put them back in a few months later though.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Like other's have said, Randall's was the PREMIUM grocery store in the late 1980s to 1990's in Houston. If the family hadn't sold out, they could have parlayed their reputation as a premium place by maybe going MORE premium, but 20 years of terrible corporate management has killed them and they never adjusted. As people have said, they were always a little more expensive, but they had the best produce, meats, and their bakery was even pretty good.

They also had ridiculous door buster type sales. I remember in the mid 90s the big special was 99 cent six packs of Cokes. Stock up on 99 cent Cokes at Randall's!

buffalobills!!!, Deckard and Nook like this.