1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's a Number 1 Pick Worth?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 10, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

With all the recent focus on tanking for a high lottery pick, I was curious to see, historically, how helpful such picks are in changing a team's performance. Its easy to take for granted that if you get a #1 pick all your problems are solved and its an easy road to becoming a contender. I wanted to see how close or far from the truth that view is.

So, I looked at all the number 1 draft picks since the lottery began in 1985 (starting with Patrick Ewing). I jotted down the team's record prior to that player joining his team, and then the 6 years after the player joined that team. Note that in several cases a player did not stick around for all 6 years or may have been injured for significant period of time. Also, I didn't want to draw too strong a conclusion that the record perfectly reflects the player's contribution to his team. For instance, Kenyon Martin might appear to have been a real difference maker for the Nets if we look at their rise after he was drafted, but we all know that Jason Kidd was the star addition.

Also, in a few cases I adjusted the team or years I wanted to look at. David Robinson was drafted in 1987, but only joined the Spurs two years later (along with their 1989 draft choice Sean Elliot). So I only considered the Spurs record in 1989 and then in Robinson's first 6 years. And, while Chris Webber was technically drafted by the Magic, he never played for them. So, for him I looked instead at how he changed the Warrior's fortune.

One more thing. I adjusted the win total for the 98-99 season so it would be on an 82 game scale.

Alright, so here is a table with the results:

Code:
    [B]Year   Team   Player        Y0   Y1   Y2   Y3   Y4   Y5   Y6     50+   55+[/B] 
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985   NYK    P Ewing       24   23   24   38   52   45   39     1     0
    1986   CLE    B Daugherty   29   31   42   57   42   33   57     2     2
    1989   SAS    D Robinson    21   56   55   47   49   55   62     4     4
    1988   LAC    D Manning     17   21   30   31   45   41   27     0     0
    1989   SAC    P Ellison     27   23   25   29   25   28   39     0     0
    1990   NJN    D Coleman     17   26   40   43   45   30   30     0     0
    1991   CHA    L Johnson     26   31   44   41   50   41   54     2     0
    1992   ORL    S O'Neal      21   41   50   57   60   45   41     3     2
    1993   GSW    C Webber      34   50   26   36   30   19   34     1     0
    1994   MIL    G Robinson    20   34   25   33   36   46   42     0     0
    1995   GSW    J Smith       26   36   30   19   34   19   17     0     0
    1996   PHI    A Iverson     18   22   31   46   49   56   43     1     1
    1997   SAS    T Duncan      20   56   59   53   58   58   60     6     5
    1998   LAC    M Olowakandi  17   15   15   31   39   27   28     0     0
    1999   CHI    E Brand       21   17   15   21   30   23   47     0     0
    2000   NJN    K Martin      31   26   52   49   47   42   49     1     0
    2001   WAS    K Brown       19   37   37   25   45   42   41     0     0
    2002   HOU    Yao M         28   43   45   51   34   52   55     3     1
    2003   CLE    L James       17   35   42   50   50   45   66     3     1
    2004   ORL    D Howard      21   36   36   40   52   59   59     3     2
    2005   MIL    A Bogut       30   40   28   26   34   46   45     0     0
    [I]              Statistics    23   33   36   39   43   41   45     57%   38%[/I]

The Y0 column represents the win total for the team prior to the player joining them, and Y1-Y6 are the win totals for the team after the player joined them. The last row shows the averages over all these years. Since 41 would be the expected win total for a .500 team (like us!), we see that a team that gets a number 1 pick, on average, takes about 3 years to cross that threshold. The last two columns just count how many seasons out of Y1-Y6 the team got at least 50 wins and 55 wins, respectively. We can say, generally, that a 50 win team will be a solid playoff team with a decent shot of winning a round if not outright favored. A 55 win team, typically, will be considered a championship contender. From the 21 team sample above, 57% were able to reach 50 wins at least once in 6 years, and 38% were able to reach 55 wins at least once.

So, returning to the Rockets -- would it be wise for us to start afresh and deplete out entire team if we would could get a number 1 pick out of it? Suppose the Rockets instead stay on their current track of trying to rebuild without being "terrible". What are the chances that they would become at least a solid 50 win playoff team in the next 6 years? I'm thinking its very good (definitely better than 57%), but of course that's not the ultimate goal. More importantly, what are the chances that they could break into contender status in the next 6 years? Would you put the chances at less than or greater than 38%, for example?

#1 durvasa, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    4 people like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We don't have Adelman and his players......We probably are not terrible right now but we are closer than I would have it.

PS
    A lot of busts
    Forgot about Kenyon Martin the first pick.......got cut from a Chinese team....

3. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

A number one pick is worth a lot. You can luck out with a franchise player like Hakeem, O'Neal, Duncan that will set your franchise for another 7 to 10 years, or get a Kwame Brown or Greg Oden etc that will set you back a couple of years.

The most important thing about a #1 pick is the opportunity of picking the best of the litter- simple

If you had to select from a litter of puppies, you wanna be first in line, so you can get the pick of the litter after observing their eating, sleeping and playing habits. Now if you're very experienced with dogs, and have done you research properly- you are likely to pick the best puppy as opposed to the runt which is left for whoever goes last.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, lot of pressure. You gotta rise above it. You gotta harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness. Energy. Block. Bad. Feel the flow, RedStaag. Feel it. It’s circular. It’s like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music. The flow… all good things.

1 person likes this.
  5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think a top 1 pick is a sure thing
    these days ...........they are about 70 percent to pan out really well
    well in the 4 years after Duncan and till Yao probably 20 percent

With that being said a top 4 pick is sometimes better because you don't have the pressure to choose and there is more time to evaluate talent level and potential. Sort out the overhyped players and get players with decent to good talent level with work ethic.

Kobe good level of talent
    Tracy excellent level of talent ....little work ethic

7. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

This is the most awe inspiring/horrific analogy i have seen in quite some time.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

What's a number 1 pick worth in the hands of Daryl Morey?

Even more relevant- what's a number 1 pick from the draft pool in the next few seasons worth in the hands of Daryl Morey?

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

To expound on my last post, those number 1 picks you analyzed were not all picked by GMs as capable as Daryl Morey. What would have been their impact if they had been?

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Mo Williams

11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Mo Williams and taking back Baron Davis for 35 games...sheesh.

And Dan Gilbert is crying about fairness. The CBA screwed the Clippers Hardest.

Imagine the pieces bringing in Dwight instead of CP3, to add to Irving. I guess then Jordan would take a seat but these are good problems to have.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is a good article with all the data.

http://82games.com/nbadraft2.htm

But in essence high picks are REALLY, REALLY good. Especially top 5, assuming you don't get the rare Kenyon Martin draft. It's not so much that they're sure things. But rather they are so much surer things than later draft picks. If the #1 pick hypothetically has a 20% chance of being a superstar and the 15th pick has 1% chance of being a superstar, the #1 pick is still really awesome by comparison.

Of course, the worth of a #1 pick has recently been mitigated by the fact that superstars actually have started changing address via FA due to the "max salary" rule. But if you can't snag a star via FA, then the pick is still very valuable.

13. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

It’s not that simple to just say let’s suck for a #1 pick; the worst record in the league still only has a 1 in 4 shot.

I’m sure our owner would be all for tanking if he was guaranteed a #1 pick after one miserable season, but who knows how long it takes. There is the chance of still getting a franchise talent with a high, yet not #1 pick (KD, Wade, Paul), but it still depends on quite a bit of luck as well.

The draft is just such a crapshoot and Leslie is very old and doesn’t want to spend the last phase of his life with the Rockets sucking and waiting for ping pong balls to bounce our way.

I do think Morey can build a 50 win team under Leslie’s current mandate, but I don’t know about a serious contender. You need a superstar to have a real shot at contending and let’s face it, we will never acquire a bona fide superstar with the cashing in assets strategy.

1 person likes this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks for the link. That article is looking at the question at little differently. He's asking what's the likelihood that the player selected will be a star versus a starter versus a rotation player, etc. I'm asking what's the chances that a top pick will turn a bad team into a great team within a particular window of time.

Clearly, if you're already a team that's mired in awfulness for some time, a top draft pick is a great way to get back to respectability. And if you have the 1st overall pick, you have also have a pretty decent shot building up a potential contender within 5 years or so. Its not a given, but even if its around 40% those are good odds.

Our situation is a little different. We're already a decent team. Without the benefit of a top lottery pick, I imagine we could sustain a middling level of play for a good number of years. Personally, I don't think it would be a stretch for us to reach 50 wins even. But to become a contender (lets say, reach 55 wins), that will take a lot more. Can the Rockets get there within 6 years without tanking for a top lottery pick? Would anyone put their odds at achieving this at greater than 40%?

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think its more important to be in range of the franchise changing players. In most drafts, up to about 10 is where the talent is thinning out. If you are 6th, its easier to get to say 4th or 3rd vs being 13th trying to get to 4. If u were to look at 1st and 2nd team all nba, almost all of those guys were drafted top 10. Rose,lebron,wade,durant,and howard were all top 4. If a team wants a game changing, franchise type of guy, he's going to be drafted top 10 minimum.

16. aaaa

aaaa Member

Good OP and analysis. Well worth to discuss over.

Another thing is, tanking/being bad for one year to get a really high draft pick for that one year is usually not enough. You suck long enough, and eventually you accumulate enough young talent through years of high draft picks. OKC is the best scenario for this model, but others haven't been so lucky.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Durvasa you have to differ here. Knowing that a 55 team, a regular season juggernaut is not getting it done in the playoffs. Take a look at the Mavericks and what it took them to get a ring, how much time it is to get it done, and they are not the best team among contenders these days.
    Nowadays you gotta have two Top 3 picks and a star joining you to actually climb the mountain and be a lock to be in the Conference finals or Finals.

18. JeffB

Supporting Member

Really, this is a great analysis. It is what I imagine Morey has done when he says that the most efficient way to contention is to rebuild through the draft. I really hope Les gets it in his head let the GM do his job and not be so intent on trying to do the unprecedented.

The Rockets are fortunate enough to have Lowry on board already. Take the lumps now and get the dude a running mate for the rebuild.

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

This is another reason why nobody, except the Rockets to my knowledge, has ever traded a top 10 pick for a role player.

20. JeffB

Supporting Member

The article does suggest you rerun your analysis to include the top 5 picks so as to capture the range in which most superstars/all NBA type players are drafted.