1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whatever happened to this play?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Roll-Wit-Da-Mac, May 20, 2007.

1. Roll-Wit-Da-Mac

The play where Tmac starts from one side of the court, cuts through the paint where he gets a double screen, gets the pass about 12-15 ft away from basket, turn around, rises up, and shoots. Just watching some of the games on my DVR I recorded, Tmac was deadly do that. I don't remember seeing that play ran one time during the series. I mean yall remember the game againts the Spurs when Tmac was dominating Bruce Bowen doing that?

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

No use in using screens when Tmac was chugging jumpers left and right anyways...

3. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

a bad offensive coach doesn't know what good offense is. it was probably someone elses suggestion whenever the play was run.

4. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

We ran that play so much for TMac. Then it disappeared in Games 6 and 7.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

JVG felt embarrased every time Tom Creen and Mark Jackson mentioned the balance of offense and defense.

6. Roll-Wit-Da-Mac

I swear that play just like fell out of Jeff Van Gundy's play book. And since JVG is some kind of like defensivologist or something, he prabably didn't even remember that play.

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Tom Creen or Mike Breen ?

8. Roll-Wit-Da-Mac

I think the name is spelled wrong, but Tom Crean is the Marquette college coach, he was just at my school a couple days ago. I don't know who Mike Breen is.

9. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Mike Breen is the play-by-play guy for ABC.

10. ubigred

oops your right Mike Breen

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

T-Mac's jumpshot disappeared, that's what.

12. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

when Yao was out JVG used that play to death, and t-mac was money.

13. aamir

aamir Member

At one point, we used to actually run a few plays through Rafer. For some reason, our offense became 100% hand the ball off to T-Mac... this play left when that happened.

14. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

you shore speak purdy.

15. ubigred

That is what killed the rockets. Hand the ball to Tmac ....and see what happens. If that was the case we didnt need rafer "to run the offense" we needed mike james.

16. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

uh, he has the option to drive on that play too b/c it's hard to go after him after 2 screens. i dont know why we didnt use that play to death. and tmac seems better off of catch and shoot rather than dribble and shoot this yr.

that should have been our go to play. pick and roll was useless since role players missed every time

17. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

our yao-mac pick and roll was terrible. Boozer would just come and show on t-mac and was still able to recover back to Yao cause Yao was too slow.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You guys are blind if you didn't see that play being run in the playoffs... the only difference was that Utah scouted it, and adjusted to it.

Rafer or Hayes were being left wide open... T-mac was covered after the pick.

Whether they made the shot after the pass was a different story.

19. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

yea we were fooled by that yao-mac pick and roll from the dallas series 2 yrs ago b/c no one covered yao then and yao got dunks all over the place.

now they cover yao w/ rotation and our role players cant make shots.

basically, when we run the pick and roll, it's not for our stars to score, but for the role players => and we still run that play to death at times. that's why i'm happy JVG is gone. when u run a play for ur role players, eventually ur gonna die by it

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

maybe its the fact that JVG wants Yao downlow now?